Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else get a notice in the mail about the 2017 -18 CR-V Shift Knob Button? Got a notice saying I should take my car in or call to have the shift knob button replaced due to it might break due to heat and humidity. Its says I will have to leave the car for a half day. I have never in all my years had so many bulletins and recalls on any other vehicle as this one.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Its not a matter of like or dislike. Its having a vechicle that requires so many factory fixes or updates as the Honda CRV.
Might be good to put this into some objective perspective, rather then what appears to be emotions.

Also... you created a brand new thread here, when there is actually an active thread on the front page of this subforum that discusses this issue at length, including the receipt of the TSB from Honda.

By way of contrast to your rather non-specific complaint about "so many fixes"...

I purchased my 2017 in July of 2017.

I have had exactly 1 recall (to replace a defective fuel feed line in a limited number of 2017s), and with this pending TSB for the shifter knob (something I already had serviced under warranty last year) that would make a total of 2 TSB/recall events. I did receive the recent warranty extension notice.. which is not a TSB nor a recall in any way.

The sites that track defect rates in new vehicles report that every single new vehicle on the road will have at least 1 defect and/or recall per vehicle sold. And this same data says that current generation Honda CRVs expected defect rate is 1.5 per vehicle produced and sold.

Now.. if you want to actually list out this long laundry list of what appears from your comments to be atrocious defect rates... then I would be happy to listen and discuss, as I think others would as well. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine snapped off a few months back! It was a scary drive home. Got my recall notice probably 2 months after the break.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We just got the notice for the shifter button. Being 70 miles away from the closest Honda dealer is not ideal but will take it in. A great opportunity for the dealer to try and sell some crap that I don't need. Guess we'll go see an early movie to kill the time.
Hopefully will be the last time for warranty work but otherwise has been a superb vehicle.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I got mine (notice) this past weekend. I was just happy honda didn't threaten me with warranty issues if I didn't get it done.

·
Registered
455 Posts
We just got the notice for the shifter button. Being 70 miles away from the closest Honda dealer is not ideal but will take it in. A great opportunity for the dealer to try and sell some crap that I don't need. Guess we'll go see an early movie to kill the time.
Hopefully will be the last time for warranty work but otherwise has been a superb vehicle.
They'll probably try and up sell you to the chrome plated knob...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone else get a notice in the mail about the 2017 -18 CR-V Shift Knob Button? Got a notice saying I should take my car in or call to have the shift knob button replaced due to it might break due to heat and humidity. Its says I will have to leave the car for a half day. I have never in all my years had so many bulletins and recalls on any other vehicle as this one.
I just got a notice, and since I want to be on top of things in the event my '17 Touring does go south, I am bringing her in (have never had a problem other than a crappy battery which I dumped for a better one). The amount of time is no big deal. Across the street from the dealer is a public 9 hole golf course!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My shift knob button broke off last Saturday morning. I got the recall notice from Honda in the mail that same afternoon. Thanks, Honda, for such timely warning of a defective product you knew about for months!! They were able to fix it Monday afternoon, thank goodness, as it is REALLY difficult to shift the lever without the button in place & functioning.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My shift knob button broke off last Saturday morning. I got the recall notice from Honda in the mail that same afternoon. Thanks, Honda, for such timely warning of a defective product you knew about for months!! They were able to fix it Monday afternoon, thank goodness, as it is REALLY difficult to shift the lever without the button in place & functioning.
How does a shift knob break off. Seems like a pretty elementary part that should last for 20+ years. Should have made them tow it.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
How does a shift knob break off. Seems like a pretty elementary part that should last for 20+ years. Should have made them tow it.
The original button design was of a plastic material that apparently was not up to the task of heat, humidity, an the pushback spring tension from the spring inside.

The button if you were to look at it removed.. is actually not a solid continuous piece of plastic.. it has an airgap (where the transmission shifter interlock bar sits) in the middle of the button shaft, and so I can see how it would eventually shatter inside from use + spring tension push back cycles.. if it is not a very durable and resilient plastic.

The new design is of a different plastic material and Honda feels confident they have solved the issue. Time will tell of course.

·
Registered
222 Posts
No problems with our 2017, but to be safe scheduled a dealer replacement next week.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My button fell off, well more like shot out along with the spring. A week later I got the letter, so convenient timing I suppose. Would a dealer provide loaners for a small job like this?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I received my letter two weeks ago. The good news is this week I already had an appointment for a B1 service. The service guys were able to do the service and also replace the button in <2hrs. It does feel slightly smoother than the old one which fortunately did not fail before I took it in for replacement.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had mine done. 2 hours including shift button, infotainment system update, and brake fluid change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I made the appointment for Friday 8/2/19 and brought it in, Service advisor said it wasn't broken and to bring it in when it breaks for replacement. I argued that it was not what the letter stated. Drove out with it not replaced. I guess I need to contact Honda to get this clarified. 17 CRV Touring

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I made the appointment for Friday 8/2/19 and brought it in, Service advisor said it wasn't broken and to bring it in when it breaks for replacement. I argued that it was not what the letter stated. Drove out with it not replaced. I guess I need to contact Honda to get this clarified. 17 CRV Touring
That is actually not for the service adviser to decide when there is an active TSB. Honestly.. in some cases.. Dealers seem to be the weak link in Honda support on TSBs and recalls.

Did you show the dealer a copy of the TSB?

If not, I would do that, and if needed.. talk with the manager in charge of service.

While it is true that a replacement is really only needed when one breaks, Honda has made it clear that they want them all changed out from units in the field, rather then waiting for them to break.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
You got shafted! Honda in Japan has instructed all dealers to change the button on 2017 and 2018s even if it is not broken, so long as it is requested by the owner. Next time this happens have them call Honda Corporate while you wait. They will tell the dealer to change it right away regardless of if you have the letter.

Rob

1 - 20 of 34 Posts