Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2017 CRV shift knob button

7K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  CrazyMind2017 
#1 ·
Anyone else get a notice in the mail about the 2017 -18 CR-V Shift Knob Button? Got a notice saying I should take my car in or call to have the shift knob button replaced due to it might break due to heat and humidity. Its says I will have to leave the car for a half day. I have never in all my years had so many bulletins and recalls on any other vehicle as this one.

#6 ·
We just got the notice for the shifter button. Being 70 miles away from the closest Honda dealer is not ideal but will take it in. A great opportunity for the dealer to try and sell some crap that I don't need. Guess we'll go see an early movie to kill the time.
Hopefully will be the last time for warranty work but otherwise has been a superb vehicle.

#9 ·
I just got a notice, and since I want to be on top of things in the event my '17 Touring does go south, I am bringing her in (have never had a problem other than a crappy battery which I dumped for a better one). The amount of time is no big deal. Across the street from the dealer is a public 9 hole golf course!

#10 ·
My shift knob button broke off last Saturday morning. I got the recall notice from Honda in the mail that same afternoon. Thanks, Honda, for such timely warning of a defective product you knew about for months!! They were able to fix it Monday afternoon, thank goodness, as it is REALLY difficult to shift the lever without the button in place & functioning.

#13 ·
No problems with our 2017, but to be safe scheduled a dealer replacement next week.

#15 ·
I received my letter two weeks ago. The good news is this week I already had an appointment for a B1 service. The service guys were able to do the service and also replace the button in <2hrs. It does feel slightly smoother than the old one which fortunately did not fail before I took it in for replacement.

#18 ·
I made the appointment for Friday 8/2/19 and brought it in, Service advisor said it wasn't broken and to bring it in when it breaks for replacement. I argued that it was not what the letter stated. Drove out with it not replaced. I guess I need to contact Honda to get this clarified. 17 CRV Touring

#19 ·
That is actually not for the service adviser to decide when there is an active TSB. Honestly.. in some cases.. Dealers seem to be the weak link in Honda support on TSBs and recalls.

Did you show the dealer a copy of the TSB?

If not, I would do that, and if needed.. talk with the manager in charge of service.

While it is true that a replacement is really only needed when one breaks, Honda has made it clear that they want them all changed out from units in the field, rather then waiting for them to break.

#23 ·
Glad you did the leg work and had success.
I got this info from a regional manager. Honda noticed this problem from about a year ago and internal testing looked very grim. They immediately had a new unit fabricated using proper plastics. They did tests and were satisfied. The big problem was manufacturing enough of them to do the total change out on each car that came in for normal servicing. While they got things going they noticed over the months that the problem seemed to be more batch related than a complete failure by the manufacturer. So the total change out was sidelined.
They still instructed dealers to change the button on any vehicle if the owner requested it or if any cracking was noticed on inspection.

Rob

#26 ·
It's not a recall.. so it will not show up in a recall check. It is a TSB for a product update.. and I don't think everyone has received a letter yet.. I have not. They are probably sending them out in waves, rather then all at once.

No need to wait for the letter though.. you can just print a copy of the TSB and take it with you to the dealer next time you are visiting for other reasons.

It has been reported that Dealers were originally instructed to check and replace all buttons with the new part number whenever a CRV came in for service.... but I am not sure if that is absolutely true, nor whether all dealers are being proactive in this regard.

#27 ·
To the guy who hasnt had any problems with his CRV, my shifter broke off today while backing out of a Kroger parking lot. It was a piece on the left side you push in to shift, broke off and now am taking it in the am for a fix. Just another thing that has gone wrong or recalled on a 2 year old car with 10650 miles on it.

#29 ·
Well your welcome to your opinion, but to have a basically brand new car with now 10810 miles on it and to have a new battery at one year old, ac update, shift button know break off, and one or 2 others I cant think of that I have to take my time and the inconvenience of either getting a loaner or waiting for hours, as we called it back in the day, its BS.

#30 ·
This is why it's not a good idea to be an early adopter of a newly redesigned body style. As cars become more complicated and become more computer than car, it's even more relevant than in the past. Most of the problems I'm reading about are for '17 and '18 models. Has there even been an official recall on any '19 CR-V trim line?

#31 ·
2019s have had some issues as well, sometimes unique to 2019s.

For example.. a batch range of 2019s had batteries going dead, because something was wrong with the programming of the fuel purge system (an automated system on gen5s that will check and purge the fuel system if it detects an emissions alert, several hours after the vehicle has been turned off). The system apparently would not go back into power down mode. A software patch fixed this issue.

The above is a great example of an issue that affected year 3 gen5s yet had not ocurred on year one and two gen5s. The conclusion I would draw here is: 1) out-year production of a particular vehicle generation is no guarantee of not having unique issues. 2) New vehicles are complex, and have a lot of software in them and it is very often a problem with a software release level that is the root cause, and since manufacturers do in fact update software in their systems over the life of production of a vehicle generation... this IS the new normal in the motor vehicle industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.