Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. So I go into my dealer for my first free oil change. Being in IT and knowing the head unit on this car is running a VERY old version of Android I just asked if there was a software upgrade for the car. I love Android Auto but it is a little glitchy at times so I figured I would ask.

He said that the IS a software upgrade coming but they do not have it yet. He said it was huge (16GB) although I doubt it is that large. I asked if I would get the upgrade for free and he said as long as I am under warranty I would get it.

So I am not sure if he was just caught off guard by my question and this is all BS but I was just wondering if anyone else heard anything else about a software update.

My car is a 2017 CRV EX

Just FYI

·
Registered
243 Posts
Does anyone know what kind of features/fixes these updates provide? I would imagine with a new vehicle, an auto company would update the head unit software at least once in it's lifetime although I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I think someone mentioned that the Civic has had 2 or 3 upgrades already, so I am pretty sure they will send the dealers an upgrade soon for the CR-V.

·
Registered
311 Posts
There is an upgrade for the Garmin Nav part of it that uses a 16gb flash drive. Apparently the head unit software is a dealer upgrade where the Nav can be done yourself. The actual file size was about 7gb. Hopefully the dealer did not confuse Nav updates when he talked about your request for a head unit update.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rjparker. I suspect he did confuse the upgrade for NAV. He did not seem to know to much about it. I don't (and did not even want) the nav. I use android auto with waze and maps. But I have had issues with android auto which requires a head unit reboot every couple weeks. I will investigate more. There is so much tech on this car that there absolutely has to be upgrades from time to time
I suspect that since this is likely going to cost Honda money to upgrade everyone that they will only release updates unless it is a safety issue or you ask for it. It is not like the average person can simple update their car like their cell phone. We will see

·
Registered
154 Posts
How do you know the CRV is running a very old version of Android?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
I don't recall the menu sequence but somewhere in System > Info there's a screen that shows the OS. My 2018, assembled on September 2018, is running Android 4.4, which I think is KitKat.

Sent from my Samsung Tab A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
527 Posts
K thanks.. I need to sit down in mine and do some exploring on the screens :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
How do you know the CRV is running a very old version of Android?

I went to the car and scoped it out. My Touring has the Display Audio (no buttons except volume knob) where you can get the OS screen with this sequence:
Home > System > Detail Information, then scroll to bottom.

The OS is Android 4.2.2 for my vehicle (Sept 2018 assembly).

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hate to break this to you, but the CRV is never going to get updated to anything over 4.2.2. Honda might fix some bugs, but there is zero incentive to do a major Android update (not only that, but the OS is painfully slow as it is...I would hate to see how the hardware in the headunit handled newer versions of Android).

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hate to break this to you, but the CRV is never going to get updated to anything over 4.2.2. Honda might fix some bugs, but there is zero incentive to do a major Android update (not only that, but the OS is painfully slow as it is...I would hate to see how the hardware in the headunit handled newer versions of Android).
True... There is no incentive to upgrade.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As someone who basically wants to put my fist through the Display Audio System (it doesn't recognize my phone on a daily basis, consistent bugs) I, too have been told about this elusive "update" to the system by my dealership. I fear it will never come. They have my money - including the additional money I gave them for the Touring because of the better audio system.

·
Registered
154 Posts
As someone who basically wants to put my fist through the Display Audio System (it doesn't recognize my phone on a daily basis, consistent bugs) I, too have been told about this elusive "update" to the system by my dealership. I fear it will never come. They have my money - including the additional money I gave them for the Touring because of the better audio system.
In fairness to the dealer, it's not something they can offer - Honda has to creat the update. I'm sure if and when that happens, the dealer will be more than happy to assist or apply the update.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts