Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kept it quiet until I got word that the vehicle is officially totaled. A nice gentleman skipped a stop sign and in an effort not to T-bone him I took off the front end of his car and hit the corner of this church. 30-35mph event. No airbags deployed. No injuries. Honestly it was a very soft feeling hit. I was very happy with how the CRV performed in the wreck.

I actually didn't think it would be totaled, but there was significant engine damage and damage to the frame, A and B pillars. Momentum is a hell of a thing when you go from 20mph to 0 in an instant. I was also told the front door hit collapsed the front suspension. I will see if I can get tear down pics today.

I will try to update the post with final pay out. This is a 17 EX AWD.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car reviews

2019 Rav 4 - Had it for 4 days in Colorado. Snow and Mud. The engine lacks power to call it fun. The lack of Android Auto is almost a deal breaker for me. Besides those two things, I wouldn't call it too different from CRV. The transmission may also be a minus. It felt like trash, but that may be the fact that I haven't driven an automatic vehicle in years. I had manuals for the last 10 years before the CRV. The big upside I found were the drive mode selections. Especially because we dealt with decent snow levels because we were hiking above 10,000 ft.

2019 Ford Super Duty 6.7L Diesel. I was given this as a rental. Horrific to daily drive, park, etc. Fun with boost

2019 Subaru Forester - I have test driven these twice. I really like the upper models. The lack of power may be an issue for me and lack of remote start, but I think I can live with that.

2019 Mazda CX-5 - Fun to drive, but as with the Rav4, going back to an Automatic trans feels terrible. The Honda CVT is much smoother in daily driving. The CX-5 also feels smaller due to the raking of the rear hatch

2019 Subaru Ascent - The most fun vehicle I drove with the new 2.4 DI Turbo. It's a touch too expensive and I would rather have a loaded Forester for the price.

2019 Honda Passport - Very nice ride. Seems like a great vehicle except for the cheap radio in the base model. Would buy if I had another $5,000

2019 Accord Sport 2.0T - By far the most fun I have had in all of the vehicles. I don't think I can go back to a sedan. I use the storage of the CRV all the time and don't think a sedan really fits my needs.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crazy but at least it did its job.
Sucks about the total

Fyi
If you buy a rav 4 and make weekly comparison posts im gonna lose my $hit lol
I wish I could have had the Rav4 a couple more days. It didn't really leave a sour taste in my mouth like I thought it would, but it is not high on my list due to the loud engine and hard shifting trans. It felt like a step backwards.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I wish I could have had the Rav4 a couple more days. It didn't really leave a sour taste in my mouth like I thought it would, but it is not high on my list due to the loud engine and hard shifting trans. It felt like a step backwards.
Yea my neighbor just got one and its nice but looks like a Toyota cherokee limited to me.

I actually was talking to my wife the other night on what we would get if we got rid of the crv since its paid off and couldnt think of anything.
It just hits all of what we need.
I miss the power of our mdx/rdx but i love going to the pump once a month

If we didnt have snow though id trade it in for a type r in a second lol

She was given a 2019 equinox all free from work(gas ins car wash everything ) $0 and i dunno how ANYONE pays 30k+ for them.. never in a million years

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea my neighbor just got one and its nice but looks like a Toyota cherokee limited to me.

I actually was talking to my wife the other night on what we would get if we got rid of the crv since its paid off and couldnt think of anything.
It just hits all of what we need.
I miss the power of our mdx/rdx but i love going to the pump once a month

If we didnt have snow though id trade it in for a type r in a second lol

She was given a 2019 equinox all free from work(gas ins car wash everything ) $0 and i dunno how ANYONE pays 30k+ for them.. never in a million years
My stepmom has an 18 Equinox. To quote my father "I don't see much of difference from the CRV".

I was born and raised on GM products. But after driving the CRV for 18 months, I now realize how cheap feeling the Equinox is. All of the trim, seats, etc feel like a huge step down.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The hybrid supposedly solves the noise and shifting issues. It has more sound deadening and is a CVT. The extra power and fuel economy are icing on the cake.

·
Registered
178 Posts
... not high on my list due to the loud engine and hard shifting trans. It felt like a step backwards.
Those are the two main reasons I decided not to go the RAV4 route. I was shocked actually. Now that I've experienced the Android Auto it would also be a deal breaker. The base model CRV also had so many features missing in the RAV4. So far very glad I went with the CRV.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those are the two main reasons I decided not to go the RAV4 route. I was shocked actually. Now that I've experienced the Android Auto it would also be a deal breaker. The base model CRV also had so many features missing in the RAV4. So far very glad I went with the CRV.
Yeah I want to take a look at the Hybrid but I use Android Auto almost daily. I know I could survive, but not sure I should.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Car reviews

2019 Rav 4 - Had it for 4 days in Colorado. Snow and Mud. The engine lacks power to call it fun. The lack of Android Auto is almost a deal breaker for me. Besides those two things, I wouldn't call it too different from CRV. The transmission may also be a minus. It felt like trash, but that may be the fact that I haven't driven an automatic vehicle in years. I had manuals for the last 10 years before the CRV. The big upside I found were the drive mode selections. Especially because we dealt with decent snow levels because we were hiking above 10,000 ft.

2019 Ford Super Duty 6.7L Diesel. I was given this as a rental. Horrific to daily drive, park, etc. Fun with boost

2019 Subaru Forester - I have test driven these twice. I really like the upper models. The lack of power may be an issue for me and lack of remote start, but I think I can live with that.

2019 Mazda CX-5 - Fun to drive, but as with the Rav4, going back to an Automatic trans feels terrible. The Honda CVT is much smoother in daily driving. The CX-5 also feels smaller due to the raking of the rear hatch

2019 Subaru Ascent - The most fun vehicle I drove with the new 2.4 DI Turbo. It's a touch too expensive and I would rather have a loaded Forester for the price.

2019 Honda Passport - Very nice ride. Seems like a great vehicle except for the cheap radio in the base model. Would buy if I had another $5,000

2019 Accord Sport 2.0T - By far the most fun I have had in all of the vehicles. I don't think I can go back to a sedan. I use the storage of the CRV all the time and don't think a sedan really fits my needs.
Is the forester the sport one?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
and just for a little background for those that care.

Although the front of the vehicle doesn't look too bad, the radiator and intercooler were the least of the issue.

The damage pushed directly into the turbo, destroying the turbo and exhaust manifold. This really drove the price up.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,071 Posts
and just for a little background for those that care.

Although the front of the vehicle doesn't look too bad, the radiator and intercooler were the least of the issue.

The damage pushed directly into the turbo, destroying the turbo and exhaust manifold. This really drove the price up.
It does look alot shorter than stock in those pictures. You couldn't have hit that corner of the building better if you tried.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,583 Posts
I kept it quiet until I got word that the vehicle is officially totaled. A nice gentleman skipped a stop sign and in an effort not to T-bone him I took off the front end of his car and hit the corner of this church. 30-35mph event. No airbags deployed. No injuries. Honestly it was a very soft feeling hit. I was very happy with how the CRV performed in the wreck.

I actually didn't think it would be totaled, but there was significant engine damage and damage to the frame, A and B pillars. Momentum is a hell of a thing when you go from 20mph to 0 in an instant. I was also told the front door hit collapsed the front suspension. I will see if I can get tear down pics today.

I will try to update the post with final pay out. This is a 17 EX AWD.
Glad you walked away without injury and that nobody else was injured. Vehicle did it's job... absorbing all the energy and sparing the driver.... which is excellent. Great example of how crumple zones work.

Airbags did not deploy....surprising to me. If they had deployed... that alone would have pretty well triggered a write-off as a total loss. but even just the visible damage, I can see why it might have been written off as a total loss though, as these modern vehicles are designed to take the loss and protect the occupants.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts