Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just told that a trailer hitch, to hold my bike rack, would cost $715 installed. I had one on my 2011 CRV EX, for less than $300. The new chassis must be a convoluted piece of machinery. If I wanted the whole ball for an actual trailer it jumped to $915. That's a lot of money for something that will rust away in a short time in New England winters. Has anybody gone down this path? Salesperson just gave price and no details. I choked up with thos words and replied I'll get back to you on that. ideas anyone?:confused:

·
Registered
730 Posts
You can purchase OEM Honda hitch for the CR-V online, it sells for $270. The additional $445 is what the dealer is charging to install it. Reading the installation instructions, the install is very similar to previous years. Actually, I would say it's a little easier for the 2017. There is still some drilling involved (c'mon Honda you can make it easier) but at least it's not through the spare tire well, instead it's through two of the frame supports. These days dealers are just charging an arm & a leg to install accessories. A competent tech that has done the install before can probably knock it out in less that two hours, instead they charge nearly 6 hours labor based on your price quote.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Those Dealer-Installed options (with no pre-defined Honda price) is how Honda dealers make much of their money on new car sales. (Conveniently, they don't have an "invoice" price for consumers to use to bargain with, unlike factory-installed options.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Honda Hitch installation manual and it looks like a very hard project to install a 2017 CRV hitch.
The .pdf has 38 pages of detailed instructions and requires removing the rear bumper and many interior panels.
I asked for a price from my parts department and they said $750.00... but they suggest I talk to my salesman because I have not yet picked up my CRV.
I called another dealer who looked into the labor book for me... and he said the book standard was 2.2 hours for both the hitch and wiring.
IMHO, based what I saw in the installation manual I think that is the old labor hours for older CRV's... looks like a 4+ hour job to me...
I have install several hitches and I will be paying the dealer for my 2017.... But I am hoping my sales person can help out a little with the price.
I think Honda designed the CRV and forgot people may want a hitch and then tried to figure a way to get one install...
Even though I bought another CRV, I think Honda has made some mistakes with the 2017, IMHO...some tacky chrome on rear hatch, very UGLY wheels and really-really-really dump hitch design

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Honda Hitch installation manual and it looks like a very hard project to install a 2017 CRV hitch.
The .pdf has 38 pages of detailed instructions and requires removing the rear bumper and many interior panels.
I asked for a price from my parts department and they said $750.00... but they suggest I talk to my salesman because I have not yet picked up my CRV.
I called another dealer who looked into the labor book for me... and he said the book standard was 2.2 hours for both the hitch and wiring.
IMHO, based what I saw in the installation manual I think that is the old labor hours for older CRV's... looks like a 4+ hour job to me...
I have installed several hitches and I will be paying the dealer for my 2017.... But I am hoping my sales person can help out a little with the price.
I think Honda designed the CRV and forgot people may want a hitch... then tried to figure a way to get one installed...
Even though I bought another CRV, I think Honda has made some mistakes with the 2017, IMHO...some tacky chrome on rear hatch, very UGLY wheels and really-really-really dumb hitch design

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks. I plumb forgot about Uhaul! plus the roof racks, my kayaks ride in folding Thule J cradles, unsure Honda bars are strong enough to hold them on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know a retired Honda salesperson, he said "dealers make money on volume... not to saying they don't try to sell at a profit but it a numbers game and a moving target" ..."service and used cars are move profitable than new cars"...
He said sometimes he actually sold new cars at a small loss to get the volume bonus.
So I guess there is no reason for a honda dealer to give a hitch away to get a new CRV sale...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have installed several hitches and I will be paying the dealer for my 2017.... But I am hoping my sales person can help out a little with the price.
I think Honda designed the CRV and forgot people may want a hitch... then tried to figure a way to get one installed...
Even though I bought another CRV, I think Honda has made some mistakes with the 2017, IMHO...some tacky chrome on rear hatch, very UGLY wheels and really-really-really dumb hitch design
i gotta agree with you on all three of those things that honda missed the mark on with the 2017 CR-V. i just realized i would eventually want a hitch, i figured i could just go to an auto shop at some point in the future and they would order and install the hitch at a cheaper rate than at the dealership, or am i missing something. Let us know when you get that hitch installed!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought an EX-L with nav on the 30th of Dec. The car I wanted had the trailer hitch installed. I told the dealer I'd take the car but they had to remove the hitch (and the wheel locks that were installed) as I wanted neither. Bottom line I got the car with the hitch and the wheel locks at no cost to me.
That tells me that their asking price is fair game for serious negotiation.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Curt manufacturing also makes nice aftermarket DIY hitches. I looked the other day and found they have not yet designed one for the 2017 CR-V. Perhaps soon...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well. I had dealer do the install. Had to install 1 1/4 hitch because of the haul weight allowed by Honda(1500 lbs). Since my bike is 2 inch I wound up going to Lowes to get an adapter from 1 1/4 to 2 inch. Its proud of vehicle a few inches more but not a problem yet.
looking for a method to theft proof the adapter. It seems there are people who want to steal them... strange. all of this to support my Thule bike rack platform. I won't be using that anytime soon. 20 degrees here this AM.
I decided not to put kayaks on the CRV. It is really too high to do easily mount. I've changed kayaks, racks looking for a solution. Will put a new rack on our Accord and not go down the nasty rutted roads with it. It is appreciably lower and easier for my wife to use the rack.
By the way, Inside my CRV I found this beautiful reinforced aluminum bar, just sitting there. It is the bumper replaced by the hitch rack. I will magic marker where it came from and put into basement up in the rafters. So now you know why it is better that Honda does the install, they cover it under the warranty of the CRV, since they did it. so there you have it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Per the hitch install instructions, there should not be any pieces left over. Hopefully the dealer didn't forget to assemble something back on your vehicle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had mine installed for $800.00 including the harness and hands free relocation kit. They used the 2.2 hrs (flat rate) labor, although it took them longer. The dealer I bought the car from wanted $1100.00. I contacted another dealer about 75 miles away and got the price of $800.00. It was worth the drive.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wait and go aftermarket if you can. We had a Curt Mfg hitch on our 2007, I installed it myself. I don't recall what I paid for it, but it was nowhere near $700. I emailed Curt Mfg about the 2017, they said it would be a few more months before they had one out. I sure wish our 2007 would fit on our 2017. I might remove it and sell it on Craigslist anyway.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the fault is in the design of the rear bumper, it impedes the location of the rack so the center section is removed and rack is put in place. I have kept piece as it is a really strong piece of formed aluminum. I find it interesting that every dealer has their own little glitch for making money. It's kind of sad that car dealing has come down to that. Price we pay for progress.

1 - 20 of 198 Posts