Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 CRV-EX with about 30K miles. Few days ago, while accelerating from a stop light the vehicle didn't move one inch. Had the car towed to the dealer and they admitted that the transmission is gone and thankfully is covered under warranty. Wonder if CVT is unreliable after all. I was hesitant before buying, but trusted that Honda product will be of high quality. Should I be concerned? Will the replacement transmission be as good as new? Has anyone else had their transmission replaced in such a short time?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a 2017 CRV-EX with about 30K miles. Few days ago, while accelerating from a stop light the vehicle didn't move one inch. Had the car towed to the dealer and they admitted that the transmission is gone and thankfully is covered under warranty. Wonder if CVT is unreliable after all. I was hesitant before buying, but trusted that Honda product will be of high quality. Should I be concerned? Will the replacement transmission be as good as new? Has anyone else had their transmission replaced in such a short time?
This is cvt transmission for you. I had cvt transmission died at 15k but that was in a Nissan Rogue. Went through 2 trannies at 60k and Nissan finally issue an actual fix for it and that was to add an rectangular oil cooler for the tranny. It’s a matter of time before your new tranny is going to go bad again unless Honda add an bigger oil cooler rather than the hockey puck sized oil cooler they have tuck under the battery.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I wouldn't stress, CVT isnt new tech anymore.

Warranties exist for this reason, because when you mass produce something, occasionally a faulty part makes it into a product. There are people with 100k+ on Honda CVT transmissions, I have seen some with over 200k with original transmission.

And to the keyboard expert, Nissan had way more issues than the size of their coolers. That was just something that pertained to your vehicle. That "puck" has been around for rought 15 yrs now. Not the best design, but the cooler is a lot less of an issue vs changing the fluid regularly.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
It’s a “warmer”, not a cooler, according to Honda. The CVT is nothing new to Honda......lots of them with many thousands of miles. Nothing is perfect......especially something mechanical.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Honda first used a CVT starting with the 1996 Civic HX, so they are not exactly new to CVTs. Being the simplest mechanically (essentially two variable speed pulleys and a steel belt), a well-designed CVT should be just as reliable as the others.

In case anyone wonders how they work:

·
Registered
127 Posts
As a mechanic, you want to tell the customer how reliable their car is. Whenever the car breaks down, you’re keeping the mechanic busy. As a fellow owner you want to assure how reliable the car is since you don’t want your resale to go down.

Well since the powertrain warranty is 60k or 5 yr whichever comes first I would keep driving it then dump the car right before your warranty is about to expired. It’s your call. Cvt transmission looks good on paper. It satisfies CAFE standard and gives you great mpg comparing to conventional transmission. When you starting to put loads on cvt that’s when the transmission starts to grenade itself.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
There is very little evidence of CVT field failures, much less any systemic or design issue with Honda CVTs in any recent generation models. If there was a systemic problem.. internet forums for each model of Honda in production would be melting down all over the place.

FACT: no matter how perfect a design or production of a design... some defects do happen and do escape into the field. Literally no manufacturer is immune to this fact of life. This is precisely why vehicles come with bumper to bumper warrantys on new vehicles, and even longer warranties for the key powertrain components.

I see no reason that your replacement transmission will be a reliability issue... and the available data is on your side in this regard. The techs in the dealership will have to have been Honda certified to do any CVT work or replacements before they are allowed to touch your vehicle.

It is certainly unsettling to have a newer vehicle have such a major failure... but that is precisely why warranties exist.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
This is cvt transmission for you. I had cvt transmission died at 15k but that was in a Nissan Rogue. Went through 2 trannies at 60k and Nissan finally issue an actual fix for it and that was to add an rectangular oil cooler for the tranny. It’s a matter of time before your new tranny is going to go bad again unless Honda add an bigger oil cooler rather than the hockey puck sized oil cooler they have tuck under the battery.
Opinion being presented as fact.

Your personal experience with a Nissan and a CVT issue has absolutely no correlation to Honda, much less to the original posters CVT failure. It correlates to.... Nissan.

Further, there is no evidence in the field of Honda CVT transmissions having a heat issue and requiring any "fix" as you tried to cross couple from your bad experience with a Nissan Rogue. In fact.. Honda now has literally millions of essentially the same CVT mated to 1.5T engines across the Civic, Accord, and CRV product lines. Just looking at NHTSAs data on their website.. there are some issues with the gen5 CRV but the CVT is not among them.

Please stop fear mongering.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
..........When you starting to put loads on cvt that’s when the transmission starts to grenade itself.
Your definition/meaning of "load", please?

·
Registered
562 Posts
My anecdotal experience says they're good. My first Gen HR-V CVT was fine at 120K miles when I sold it. I had abused it a lot. On and off road.

·
Administrator
3,341 Posts
Every company will have a product that goes bad prematurely. Hate to break it to you, but you drew that short straw.

I know ford owners with 240k on a CVT. Nissan owners seem especially prone to bad transmissions....... My sense is that CVT and Honda seem much better than most.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Every company will have a product that goes bad prematurely.
Or in other words, shnitzel happens. An isolated failure can be expected in just about anything mechanical.

Or you could end up like us, with a 2002 V6 Accord with the notoriously defective B7XA transmission. The 4-speed and especially the 5-speed auto transmissions on the V6s weren't worth a wooden nickel up until about 2006 when they started producing a new transmission design. And it's a shame since the J-series V6 is such a great engine! I recall reading the Acura forums where some TL owners from 2000-2003 (1999 had the 4-speed; the other four years had the 5-speed) had transmissions replaced under warranty two or three times, some failing within a mere 10,000 miles. The common cure is to rebuild it or replace with a rebuilt, but the better and uncommon cure is to get a tranny from a 2006-2007 Accord and swap it in. Swap over some sensors, and you're good to go. Bolts right up.

So one CVT going bad out of hundreds of thousands built (or millions, once you count all the other Honda models since 1996 that have used them) isn't really all that worrisome given the problems other Honda transmissions have had...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2016 and my transmission went out at less than 30,000 miles. I won't buy another Honda because of this.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Power transmit from the engine + weight of the car = loads on transmission.
I would think that would be a normal load, no?........99.999% of CVTs will last way more than 30K miles under normal load. But that doesn't help the OP that got that 00.001% CVT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry about your transmission failure. Would you mind sharing a couple of details if you know them? First, do you know if your CRV was manufactured in Canada or USA? Second, did you notice anything strange happening with the transmission prior to this? I'm asking because my 2017 CRV has had a "stutter" right before coming to a full stop (most noticable in stop and go traffic). I've always wondered if it is related to the transmission. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts