Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty sold on the 2017 Touring AWD but the new 2018 Equinox has some redeeming qualities. Of course it has all the safety features we expect today: ACC with emergency braking, blind spot detection, lane keeping, rear cross traffic detect, parking assist,... They plan to release a 1.6L diesel which should get up to 40mpg highway. Also available is vented seats. It looks like a tow hitch should be a little easier to install. And gawd knows GM is a bit more willing to give sales discounts versus Honda.

On the downsides, the Equinox diesel won't be available until summer. Equinox appearance is arguably a bit lacking and it might be not have the same amount of storage space.

I plan to test drive one just to see how it feels.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I too was a little interested in the Equinox. It has some interesting engine choices and standard features making it a contender in this class. I just couldn't find myself investing in something with a reliability history not on par with the CRV. The CRV isn't perfect but there is a reason why this vehicle is number one in its class by numerous publications........

2017 CRV EX white

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I read some reviews and when compared the Equinox, it almost always said things (interior room, etc) were the best in class exept for the CRV. Also, a Equinox equipped similar to the Touring was in the $40,000 range. The Equinox reviews were almost like an ad for the CRV.

·
Registered
281 Posts
There were the exact two we were interested in but the Chevy was about $4000 MORE then a comparable CRV and it was not in the same league in quality and feel of the Honda. And we are Domestic car fans.

Not even close guys

·
Registered
184 Posts
INTERESTING: 2017 Honda CRV is made in Ohio, 2018 Chevy Equinox is made in Canada. Which one is a domestic? DAMN i bought a vehicle made HERE! I hope it wasn't completed on a Friday afternoon! LOL

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just test drove a 2018 Premier Equinox and have to say I was disappointed. It doesn't have ACC. Instead it only alerts via visual HUD and seat vibration. And no active steering, it only vibrates the steering wheel. I think the safety/convenience features were an extra ~$1900 and only add video game like features. It didn't compare well to the CRV.

·
Registered
281 Posts
INTERESTING: 2017 Honda CRV is made in Ohio, 2018 Chevy Equinox is made in Canada. Which one is a domestic? DAMN i bought a vehicle made HERE! I hope it wasn't completed on a Friday afternoon! LOL
our CRV was made in Canada. I consider that a domestic. Canada is part of North America

·
Registered
83 Posts
I read some reviews and when compared the Equinox, it almost always said things (interior room, etc) were the best in class exept for the CRV. Also, a Equinox equipped similar to the Touring was in the $40,000 range. The Equinox reviews were almost like an ad for the CRV.
But GM discounts way beyond Honda so if you really wanted the Chevy, I bet you can get it for roughly a similar purchase price. GM MSRPs are fiction.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
But GM discounts way beyond Honda so if you really wanted the Chevy, I bet you can get it for roughly a similar purchase price. GM MSRPs are fiction.
The higher MSRP that is discounted down to a price similar to the comparable CRV is one thing but the much lower resale of the Chevy makes the ownership even more expensive.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sorry but no one is discounting a $40k car down to $34k. Nope. Not even close
Wrong. GM has 16% incentives on several vehicles today. That's not only close but better than your 15% example. And they do it all the time.

GM's MSRPs are fluffy. Here's an example - GM's brand new Chinese built Buick Envision SUV's MSRP is ridiculously high and it's currently discounted 16% from MSRP.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The higher MSRP that is discounted down to a price similar to the comparable CRV is one thing but the much lower resale of the Chevy makes the ownership even more expensive.
True concern if you don't plan on keeping the car many years. If so, who cares. The Honda resale values are really nonsense driven by a false perception that nothing ever goes wrong with them.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
True concern if you don't plan on keeping the car many years. If so, who cares. The Honda resale values are really nonsense driven by a false perception that nothing ever goes wrong with them.
Resale is a concern even if you plan on keeping the car a long time because of unseen circumstances. What if you have to "sale" the car due to an accident or a comprehensive claim (fire, theft, etc)? I worked insurance claims for over 31 years and ran into people losing their car that they expected to keep a long time frequently. They were paid the fair market value but they still suffered a loss (especially people who had spent a lot on a new engine, transmission, etc. that didn't increase the market value much if at all).

·
Registered
281 Posts
Resale on Honda and Toyota are much better then GM or Kia /Hyundai vehicles, so its not merely 'perception' its fact

·
Registered
52 Posts
Resale on Honda and Toyota are much better then GM or Kia /Hyundai vehicles, so its not merely 'perception' its fact
Yep, I think Subaru has the best if I remember correctly? Wife had a 07 Torrent, we had to get rid of it because it was having airbag issues, transmission issues and traction control issues...it was also 7 years old, but only had about 55k miles, where as my Accord had double, was on 06 and we took it on trips because we felt it was more reliable...GM may have "initial quality" awards, but who cares after you drive it off the lot, I want the long term reliability.

·
Registered
83 Posts
True the resale values are fact but the quality and reliability issues are fiction. I own a Hyundai and a Honda and I'd say the Hyundai beats the Honda in so many respects.

·
Registered
90 Posts
After owning 4 Honda's(03 Pilot, 13 Fit Sport, 13 CRV EX-L, and 17 CRV Touring), I would not hesitate to buy another when looking for another vehicle. They have been very reliable and comfortable while operating costs have been very low. There are many good choices in this class of vehicles but I would not buy a domestic until they greatly improve on what Honda already had figured out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts