Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past 6 days, I had my crv ex giving me warnings for everything, brakes, emission, etc. 1st dealer said it need software update that just recently came out. 2 days later, after starting and putting in reverse, all the warnings started up. 2nd dealer cleared computer and download updated software again and advised the comp was showing misfire in 1&3. All systems checked. 2 days later, a 3rd time. Car at dealer overnight now. Thinking maybe fuel injector is leaking. Anyone have this issue? It's a 2017 cv ex 13k miles

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,905 Posts
There is a TSB in circulation with dealers for misfire error codes. I don't have the link handy, but it is posted on the NHTSA web site. It stipulates that the dealer check for abnormal wear on the Cams and if it is found.. then they have to replace the cams and shafts.

It's not a difficult repair, but if they do not do it exactly right.. they can mess up the timing chain in the process and I have seen one or two owners reporting problems with their CRV immediately after the cam repair.

So.... if they do find they need to work on the insides of the engine.... be aware that if they do not follow procedure precisely... you will likely have it back in the shop again for timing chain or timing chain tensor replacement.

Honestly, I think the fuel injectors might be a red herring... but they will have to check and verify just to be sure. Early on with OD... dealers were replacing quite a few injectors..... and I'm not sure it really fixed anything in most cases.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a TSB in circulation with dealers for misfire error codes. I don't have the link handy, but it is posted on the NHTSA web site. It stipulates that the dealer check for abnormal wear on the Cams and if it is found.. then they have to replace the cams and shafts.

It's not a difficult repair, but if they do not do it exactly right.. they can mess up the timing chain in the process and I have seen one or two owners reporting problems with their CRV immediately after the cam repair.

So.... if they do find they need to work on the insides of the engine.... be aware that if they do not follow procedure precisely... you will likely have it back in the shop again for timing chain or timing chain tensor replacement.

Honestly, I think the fuel injectors might be a red herring... but they will have to check and verify just to be sure. Early on with OD... dealers were replacing quite a few injectors..... and I'm not sure it really fixed anything in most cases.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
In the past 6 days, I had my crv ex giving me warnings for everything, brakes, emission, etc. 1st dealer said it need software update that just recently came out. 2 days later, after starting and putting in reverse, all the warnings started up. 2nd dealer cleared computer and download updated software again and advised the comp was showing misfire in 1&3. All systems checked. 2 days later, a 3rd time. Car at dealer overnight now. Thinking maybe fuel injector is leaking. Anyone have this issue? It's a 2017 cv ex 13k miles
Did you happen to check oil levels before going in? Mostly to see if it was overfull with fuel.

Just a friendly reminder that you can go to Autozone/O'Reilly etc and get the codes checked for free so you are on the same page with the dealer.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
The dealer discovered the 1st injector was leaking enough that win sitting overnight, it was enough to cause a misfire when 1st starting up. Dealer replaced the injector set up and all is well for now.
Good that they found the issue. I wonder exactly how they isolated it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good that they found the issue. I wonder exactly how they isolated it.
I drove the car to the dealer as soon as it happened, without shutting it off. Diagnostic showed 1&3 misfire. Dealer kept car overnight and redid the diagnostic on first start up. Showed 1 misfire. Upon checking, the mechanic found 1st injector was leaking fuel enough that when left off all night, it would misfire right away. Huge work to replace the injector. Dealer said they don’t stock due to high cost for this particular injector. Glad it’s still under warranty. Makes me think if cheap gas could have damaged the injector.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I drove the car to the dealer as soon as it happened, without shutting it off. Diagnostic showed 1&3 misfire. Dealer kept car overnight and redid the diagnostic on first start up. Showed 1 misfire. Upon checking, the mechanic found 1st injector was leaking fuel enough that when left off all night, it would misfire right away. Huge work to replace the injector. Dealer said they don’t stock due to high cost for this particular injector. Glad it’s still under warranty. Makes me think if cheap gas could have damaged the injector.
Doubtful cheap gas caused the problem.
More likely its due to higher fuel pump pressure.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
988 Posts
I haven't had any misfires but it's curious your #3 injector misfire went away or was incorrectly flagged.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Doubtful cheap gas caused the problem.
More likely its due to higher fuel pump pressure.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

I agree... with these higher fuel pressures in newer DI engines... fuel injector failures may become more common then in earlier fuel injection technologies.

This is very much why I feel an extended warranty purchased directly from the car manufacturer is a must in new vehicles. With hundreds of sensor, as many as a hundred special purpose micro-computers, dozens of readout systems... coupled with all the high tech electromechanical parts, etc..... I think virtually every new car is going to have at least one major unscheduled maintenance cycle now days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2017 crv ex did the same thing. It was working fine, went in to a store, came back and when I cranked it up all of the warning lights came on. I drove it home and I figured it must be something computer related since I new the systems were good. I cleaned the battery terminals, checked the voltage on the battery which was good. I then drove the car and after driving 1/4 mile all of the lights went off and the problem was fixed. I think disconnecting and reconnecting the battery for a few minutes is what reset the computer.
Hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts