Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me vent for a minute please.

Why is this 2017 CRV such a mystery? Of course the AC goes out right after the warranty does.
So I searched for a while, it takes R1234YF refrigerant which does not work as well as previous refrigerant formulas, cost a lot more, has a left hand screw on the can so it will not fit any of your current equipment, has a different fitting, AND is slightly flammable so it requires "special" licensing to buy the man sized can. OK I can put up with 8 oz at a time at $35 a can and bought some equipment.

Hook the gauge up, pressure is high enough on any other AC I have ever serviced to kick it on so I looked for the fuse.
After an hour on the internet I figure out that the fuse marked "MG CLUTCH /UPR_SG" is the one for the AC. They could have just put AC clutch like it has been for 30 years or so, it would have been easier to translate a Japanese symbol than to translate what MG CLUTCH means.

Fuse is OK, over 14V going to the hot side so I start looking for the LP and HP switches to see if they have voltage. Where are they? So I google wiring diagram 2017 CRV and get an array of sites with multiple popups and javascript and or html5 routines to disable the back buttons, you almost have to reboot to get out of them. The one that I was able to access wanted me to sign up with my e-mail (so they could send me 1000's of spams a day with extended insurance offers, male enhancement drugs and credit cards) without even promising they have any actual content.

The diagrams I found were not for a 2017 CRV they were for much older ones even though clearly in the search bar it said 2017 CRV wiring diagram. YES it must include 2017 in the search thank you very much for asking mr. Google.

I am technically capable of servicing my own vehicle mechanically, electrically and financially. The fact that Honda makes it so difficult to find real info on these vehicles so you are forced to take it in and have someone look at you with much less experience at crap than you have like you are a dumb*** explaining in 3rd grade level that they had to replace everything when in reality it PROBABLY didn't need it really torques me.

END OF RANT.

Does anyone anywhere know the proper steps to get a complete EVTM or whatever they call it on this one for a 2017 CRV?

Thanks-
Jim

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,701 Posts
Its like 10$ for access to honda service manager (for a day i think)

You can check here to see if it has what you need also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link, I downloaded it and it said there was a problem opening it. It is for a 2018 but I bet it is similar.
Still plugging away. I found the data port and plugged in. Says no codes.

The post was meant more humorous than complaining, I just want a manual for my car!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like the service manual access is $25 for 24 hours, I'll get some sleep and start screen shots staying up for 24 hours LOL. Sorry if it has been posted before: Honda Tech Info

I did find the AC clutch relay. I pulled the relay and checked it manually and it makes the contacts when fed with 12V. I have an amp meter with a fuse so I shorted the relay socket to the clutch, the pump came on and the clutch only pulled a little over 3 amps so I left it on. No bad noises but it was not pumping. The low pressure side stayed high and feeling the tubes and hoses there was nothing going through them. I think the compressor is hosed. I'll get an official set of gauges so I can monitor high side too. Any system I have ever worked on that has pressure at all isn't leaking and this one had 100PSI sitting still. If the high side is 100 and both stay 100 with compressor running then it isn't pumping. I plan to get the high gauge and fitting then pay the 25 for the manual access. I bet I'm facing a compressor.

Pic of the fuse box with the relay marked. The relay coil is the 2 tangs parallel to the long sides of the relay, the contacts are parallel with the short sides of the relay.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I own gauges now. Official R1234YF connectors also.
I monitored both high and low side which are equal at approx. 80PSI

I engaged the clutch on the AC pump, not 1 psi change high or low. Literally nothing happens but the compressor turning around and around.

This thing should not have stopped working and the dealership should have taken care of it last year when I took it in for regular service, I asked them to look at it. I said it didn't seem to be cold, they told me they thought it was OK and it would cost me a lot of money if they worked on it.

This spring the AC would not cool at all and it is out of warranty when it was in warranty back when I asked them to check it out.

I need to do something. Just because I could replace the entire system doesn't mean I should shell out money when it was not my fault I had nothing to do with this and I refuse to pay for someone else's mistake.

I know this is just a forum but I see tons of complaints all over the great net about the AC on these early 2017's and there HAS to be someone here in the service loop or the honda loop or SOMETHING that has a number or an e-mail of someone at Honda that can get this resolved. I own one of the most popular cars in the USA there has to be provisions for this situation I will not pay for it.

Anyone. Please.

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,701 Posts
Thanks for the link, I downloaded it and it said there was a problem opening it. It is for a 2018 but I bet it is similar.
Still plugging away. I found the data port and plugged in. Says no codes.

The post was meant more humorous than complaining, I just want a manual for my car!
if you have a mac download unrarx to unzip the file

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use ubutntu linux and have like 4 utilities for zips and rars. It gives me a firefox popup when I click to download, and it says the file was uploaded from vietnam, I might not be able to read it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if you have a mac download unrarx to unzip the file
Alrighty so between my last post when I downloaded the diagram and right now, on the schematic I saw there was a "variable capacity control solenoid" physically attached to the compressor.
So manually latching the compressor clutch wouldn't pump because the solenoid was open.

There is a pressure sensor on the tube at the condenser driver side at the radiator (front of the 2017 CRV) that is cinched up too tight. The middle of the 3 wires had literally been torn in half rubbing against the electrical tape used to contain it because the loom it was in was doubled over and cinched with a zip tie.

Used a good butt connector, some dielectric grease, a professional grade crimping tool. Verified conductivity, taped it with regular 3M black tape and re connected.

Guess what? AC works just fine. Actually better than it has since the first summer.
BoostedV, you have saved me a bunch of money with your link, I owe you one. Dude if you ever buy a Ranger LOL I know them inside and out between 98 and 00 feel free to contact me here or on my forum.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,701 Posts
Alrighty so between my last post when I downloaded the diagram and right now, on the schematic I saw there was a "variable capacity control solenoid" physically attached to the compressor.
So manually latching the compressor clutch wouldn't pump because the solenoid was open.

There is a pressure sensor on the tube at the condenser driver side at the radiator (front of the 2017 CRV) that is cinched up too tight. The middle of the 3 wires had literally been torn in half rubbing against the electrical tape used to contain it because the loom it was in was doubled over and cinched with a zip tie.

Used a good butt connector, some dielectric grease, a professional grade crimping tool. Verified conductivity, taped it with regular 3M black tape and re connected.

Guess what? AC works just fine. Actually better than it has since the first summer.
BoostedV, you have saved me a bunch of money with your link, I owe you one. Dude if you ever buy a Ranger LOL I know them inside and out between 98 and 00 feel free to contact me here or on my forum.

Thanks again!
Glad it helped. I’ll never buy a ranger but appreciate it lol

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
So, I'll bet that when you buy your next new car you will make it a condition of the sale that they include free lifetime access to the online manual, right? Remember this: Before you sign on the dotted line, you have ALL the leverage, and you can ask for anything. If they say no, you have the option to walk way. If that condition is all that stands between them and your money, it could happen. I'm just saying. :)

I will never sign up for this kind of extortion from a carmaker. Ever. Heck, the way car sales are right now, I'll bet this deal would fly in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny thing is... I for myself would never buy a new car. We owned a 99 CRV bought from a friend, drove a few years and sold for almost what we bought it for.

I'm not a Honda guy but the CRV sells itself.

Now the funny part... I bought it for my wife to stop her complaining about things not working on her cars.

So the AC stopping for me might be.... Carma.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
So, I'll bet that when you buy your next new car you will make it a condition of the sale that they include free lifetime access to the online manual, right? Remember this: Before you sign on the dotted line, you have ALL the leverage, and you can ask for anything. If they say no, you have the option to walk way. If that condition is all that stands between them and your money, it could happen. I'm just saying. :)

I will never sign up for this kind of extortion from a carmaker. Ever. Heck, the way car sales are right now, I'll bet this deal would fly in a heartbeat.
I had a 1993 Infiniti G20. In the trunk was a mini-sized service manual from the manufacturer! Why Don’t they all do that?
BTW: how many Infiniti owners worked on their own cars ?? Not many is my guess.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Funny thing is... I for myself would never buy a new car. We owned a 99 CRV bought from a friend, drove a few years and sold for almost what we bought it for.

I'm not a Honda guy but the CRV sells itself.

Now the funny part... I bought it for my wife to stop her complaining about things not working on her cars.

So the AC stopping for me might be.... Carma.
Ah, yes - "Carma." Must keep car gods happy at all costs. :)

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I had a 1993 Infiniti G20. In the trunk was a mini-sized service manual from the manufacturer! Why Don’t they all do that?
BTW: how many Infiniti owners worked on their own cars ?? Not many is my guess.
Wow - didn't know about that! Very cool. Yes, this should be a Federal requirement.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,191 Posts
Wow - didn't know about that! Very cool. Yes, this should be a Federal requirement.
Very cool that Infiniti did included the service manual, and yes, how many Infinity owners would likely even need it?

Wow, is right! You just said alot there. But that is a topic for a different thread, or even a different forum.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.