Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CR-V is just 2 weeks old. Went out yesterday, and it would not start after sitting for 3 days. Checked the battery voltage with a meter, and it was 7.5. Charged it up, started it, and drove it a bit. Nothing that I could identify was left on. No open doors. No lights.
I'll monitor it by checking battery voltage each morning. Today it was 12.43.
Any thoughts about what might have happened?
Anyone have a similar issue?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Bummer. I don't want to guess what could have caused it. But certainly totally unacceptable for a brand new vehicle. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Infantile battery death. Something is loose inside or otherwise wrong with your battery.
Personally, I'd be taking it back to the dealer pronto and demanding a new battery be put in, before it leaves you stranded.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 Starter and Battery

My 2016 CRV EX has experienced starter and battery issues. At 4000 miles, my car would not shut off after the "Accessories Mode" lights came on and would not shut off. The dealer replaced the starter. At 7000 miles, my car would not start for no apparent reason. Had it towed to dealer and they replaced the battery. Not very happy with this CRV.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not related but, I purchased a used 2013 CRV EXL locally within the last year. A couple of months ago I became concerned for getting stranded since the battery was supposedly 3 years old and from posts on this forum they are known to not last much beyond 3 years. Took the car to O'Reilly's to have the battery tested. Low an behold, the battery was NOT original to the can, and was in fact an O"Reilly's purchased some time in 2014. I do not have that kind of history on the car, previous owner passed away and I bought the vehicle from a local dealer. What's my point? Something happened and a new battery was installed in under a year. I'd be taking that 2017 right back to where I bought it, identify the issue, and get a new battery.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
sgtjim57 - how BIG is the battery in your car now?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased 2017 CRV ex-l 1/23/17. Drove it with no problem until it was parked from 2/10 -2/18/17 in garage while on vacation. Battery was dead when I tried to start it on 2/18/17. Called Honda Assistance & got jumped started within 1 hour. Subsequently drove it with no problem. Took it to dealer on 2/23/17 to have checked. They could find no problem with battery or parasitic drain on electrical system. Continued to drive daily w/no problem until it was left parked in garage from 3/1-3/4/17. I did start it briefly on 3/2 to back it out of garage, shut it off briefly then start it & pull it back in garage, & parked it until I tried to start it on 3/4/17 when it was dead. Called Honda Assistance again & was again jump started within 1 hour. Then drove it around town on errands with no problem. This is my 6th Honda purchased new & this is not acceptable performance. Took it back to dealer today, 3/6/17 for the battery issue. They again find nothing wrong. The car remains with dealer to sit idle until Wednesday when they will see if battery is dead. Dealer gave me loaner CRV till then. I am not happy & have serious doubts about car's reliability now. The service manager said my briefly starting car, turning it back on to pull it back in the garage & turning it back off, may have caused the battery to run down since there are so many more electrical features on this car. If that is the case, Honda needs to make this very clear to prospective buyers. I would never have bought a car that finicky. I was relying on my past experience with 5 hondas & the Honda reputation for putting out a reliable car. Has anyone had this problem & gotten it fixed by dealer?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
wildbee - Are you lights on the AUTO mode by chance?
Your use sounds a lot like ours, backing it out of the garage but not 'using' it before putting it back in.
I wouldn't put up with a car that is that finicky either.

What size battery did they equip the '17 model with?
Same as the '13's?

·
Registered
3 Posts
2017 CRV dead battery

wildbee - Are you lights on the AUTO mode by chance?
Your use sounds a lot like ours, backing it out of the garage but not 'using' it before putting it back in.
I wouldn't put up with a car that is that finicky either.

What size battery did they equip the '17 model with?
Same as the '13's?
The dealership folks say leaving the lights on Auto should not run it down but I have doubts they know what all the electronic stuff really does on the 2017. It has push button ignition, blind spot id, road departure mitigation, navi, all kinds of electronic bells & whistles. I naievely thought it would all work with no problem.
Gosh, I'm not sure about the battery size. The car is with the dealer so I can't look. Could it be undersized for all the electrical stuff it supports?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Request your dealer install a new battery at no charge. This is too new a vehicle for this to occur. It is entirely possible the battery was defective from day one. It can happen!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can't help wondering if all these dead batteries could be the result of leaky gas filler nozzles. If there is an air leak, the vapor recovery system and/or fuel pump can run enough to drain a battery after a few days.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
wildbee - It may not be 'undersized' but I'd be willing to bet it's marginally large enough. Honda isn't the only mfg doing this. We had a Ford once that was all power everything and it came with a wimpy battery too. Car completely changed once a 'full sized' battery (and by that I mean as large as would fit in it) was put in. The rotten egg smell of the FI went away, it just plain ran like a totally different car. Best I could come up with was all the sensors were getting marginal inputs and it showed up in crappy running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can't help wondering if all these dead batteries could be the result of leaky gas filler nozzles. If there is an air leak, the vapor recovery system and/or fuel pump can run enough to drain a battery after a few days.
The '17 CRV ex-l gas tank does not have an actual cap like previous cars I've owned. It has a soft plastic cover with a hole in it you stick the gas nozzle into. The exterior gas tank door closes over it. Wow, I would never have thought the gas tank/vapor recovery system/fuel pump affected the battery but I see your point. Thanks for the input. I know to put gas in & take it in for service.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
So the fuel door acts as the gas cap?

Now there's a cost saving design if I ever heard of one.

So if you get in a wreck and the fuel door is ripped up and off, your whole load of fuel is now open to the environment....hmmm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had this exact problem. It seems like Honda is now acknowledging a parasitic draw to their service reps. This is the statement they printed out for me. I just received it today so I haven't tested it to see if the battery will still die after 4-5 days of not driving. It's worth a try if you're still having battery issues.

"From our investigation, we've found that a software bug in the VSA system may be keeping it awake when the ignition is turned to OFF. This can cause a 350 mA parasitic draw that may result in a weak or dead battery. We've also found that this issue appears to happen only when a certain shut down procedure is done, and it's rare when it does. We're working on a fix for the issue, but until it's available, this parasitic draw can be avoided by setting the electric parking brake before turning the ignition to OFF."

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had this exact problem. It seems like Honda is now acknowledging a parasitic draw to their service reps. This is the statement they printed out for me. I just received it today so I haven't tested it to see if the battery will still die after 4-5 days of not driving. It's worth a try if you're still having battery issues.

"From our investigation, we've found that a software bug in the VSA system may be keeping it awake when the ignition is turned to OFF. This can cause a 350 mA parasitic draw that may result in a weak or dead battery. We've also found that this issue appears to happen only when a certain shut down procedure is done, and it's rare when it does. We're working on a fix for the issue, but until it's available, this parasitic draw can be avoided by setting the electric parking brake before turning the ignition to OFF."
I got the same response from the Honda dealer after my battery was dead within 3 days of not driving. But, I don't exactly remember if I had my electric parking brake engaged after shutting down the engine when this happened. Taking extra care with how I use the parking brake now until Honda has a resolution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So the fuel door acts as the gas cap?

Now there's a cost saving design if I ever heard of one.

So if you get in a wreck and the fuel door is ripped up and off, your whole load of fuel is now open to the environment....hmmm.

The cap is built into the filler neck, spring loaded. My old Ford had the same thing. No more lost cap. No more check engine light because you failed to screw it in all the way. The fuel door is purely cosmetic. It makes the car look better. OK, it also locks but how often is theft a problem with gas at record low prices for this century? This is a great feature and clearly doesn't save money to manufacture it this way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are having the exact same issue. The car has failed to start several times. One trip to the dealer found nothing and now the battery is dead after 4 days in the garage. It's going back tomorrow again. I'm convinced they don't understand all the parasitic loads generated by the computer.

·
Registered
267 Posts
This all reminds me of Microsoft Windows where the programmers seem too clever by half.

Maybe Honda has hired these "workers" from silicon Valley.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts