Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just bought a 2017 EX and it does not have a way to play videos.
I dont see an HDMI input, and the moment I plug in my phone (android) Android Auto is detected and mirrors my phone on the entertainment system display screen. And via Android Auto the only options available are Navigaion, Calling, Music.

has anyone else faced the same issue?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Thank goodness -- If you're playing video, I don't want to meet you driving down the road. Truly, maybe YOU wouldn't play it while driving, but there's certainly a lot of boneheads who would.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can play videos by loading them onto a USB stick and plugging that into a USB port in the CRV. You'll have to navigate to the gallery app and play the video that way. The video playback functionality stops once the car is in motion however, there are ways to get around that as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Why on earth would you want to get around a block on playing video while the car is running?
Mainly for the passengers on a long road trip. Of course, as a responsible adult, I would choose to stay focused on the road and not the movie playing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
[QUOTE=RH

Please PM me on how to do this.........Want to do this for the kids and been trying to figure in the hidden menu. Canot find it.......Help please. Will prevent me from spending hundreds of dollars on an Entertainment system

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
RH Please PM me on how to do this.........Want to do this for the kids and been trying to figure in the hidden menu. Canot find it.......Help please. Will prevent me from spending hundreds of dollars on an Entertainment system Thanks[/QUOTE said:
You have to disable the DD VSP Error setting. Give me a day and I'll send you detailed instructions.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Be careful if you disable this safety feature as many states have laws against any video device being used in the driver's line of sight or in the front seats of the vehicle. There can be steep fines if you're caught doing this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Having a video playing in your field of vision WILL be a distraction, no matter how much you concentrate. You're still human. Moreover, if you're involved in a serious accident and the insurance investigator chooses to scrutinize the car, you will probably open yourself up to serious legal liability. Lastly, you bought a well-engineered car — instead of hacking into it and defeating safety systems, spend the money for a proper back seat video player (it's not that much) or just get them a tablet, or even a book.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you were able to figure this out please get with me also. I am taking my son back and forth to Boston Children's Hospital and its about a 8 hour drive. This would pass the time for him or my wife. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
294 Posts
A search on Amazon for Bluray player with screen had multiple options under $200, some under $100. Seems like a much better solution than having a video playing on the nav screen. And their screens are bigger than 7 inches.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you were able to figure this out please get with me also. I am taking my son back and forth to Boston Children's Hospital and its about a 8 hour drive. This would pass the time for him or my wife. Thanks in advance!
I have been in your shoes. A portable DVD player would be much easier for your son to view -- a couple of hours with him leaning over for viewing isn't going to be comfortable. It would also allow him to take the player into the hospital for entertainment/distraction during typically long wait times and any inpatient treatment.

Better yet...a small tablet can play video and have gaming options as well.

From a safety standpoint, the idea of streaming through the control panel is ludicrous. You don't need ANY unnecessary distractions, no matter how small.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
What would be the benefit to paying 10x the price of a nice tablet? There are many inexpensive DVD/tablet holders that will mount the unit on the back of the front seats.
Look on Amazon, they list a ton of these starting at like $119 and going up. Lots of really nice choices and far cheaper than the factory units ever were.

·
Registered
285 Posts
apparently there is another trick to get Gallery or browser to stayed on the display while in gear. At other forum (civicx.com url:http://www.civicx.com/threads/2016-civic-ex-na-finally-video-while-driving.9983/), someone found a new way to do it. I have had tried it (for crv just have to follow step #10~16). The poster make a mistake on the apk name on step 13 and 14, it should be whitelistapservice apk

·
Registered
625 Posts
Having a video playing in your field of vision WILL be a distraction, no matter how much you concentrate. You're still human. Moreover, if you're involved in a serious accident and the insurance investigator chooses to scrutinize the car, you will probably open yourself up to serious legal liability. Lastly, you bought a well-engineered car — instead of hacking into it and defeating safety systems, spend the money for a proper back seat video player (it's not that much) or just get them a tablet, or even a book.
Wow, a book! What a concept for a kid these days. Most kids riding in a car today don't even look out the windows, just down to whatever device they are holding in their hands. Agree 100% with you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
apparently there is another trick to get Gallery or browser to stayed on the display while in gear. At other forum (civicx.com url:http://www.civicx.com/threads/2016-civic-ex-na-finally-video-while-driving.9983/), someone found a new way to do it. I have had tried it (for crv just have to follow step #10~16). The poster make a mistake on the apk name on step 13 and 14, it should be whitelistapservice apk
If someone tries this, can you confirm that you can use an animated wallpaper and have it displayed while you drive? By default, you can use an animated one, but it only works when you're not moving. So, pretty useless.

That's the only reason I'd bother with this hack.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts