Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this 2017 CRVEXLAWD...The exhaust tips and tanks seem really low to the pavement.Is that why the drive feels so back-heavy and loud? The tips also seem tipped with black crud! Can you see it? From the rear, it is appreciably low-riding... I do have the storage section filled but not with heavy stuff.

Do I have to be concerned about hitting pot holes or going over uneven pavements? Nervous about my undercarriage taking a beating. Also, I cannot garage the car till spring, so worried about the elements eating away at it...Suggestions?

Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
View attachment 144264 Just got this 2017 CRVEXLAWD...The exhaust tips and tanks seem really low to the pavement.Is that why the drive feels so back-heavy and loud? The tips also seem tipped with black crud! Can you see it? From the rear, it is appreciably low-riding... I do have the storage section filled but not with heavy stuff. View attachment 144265
View attachment 144266 Do I have to be concerned about hitting pot holes or going over uneven pavements? Nervous about my undercarriage taking a beating. Also, I cannot garage the car till spring, so worried about the elements eating away at it...Suggestions?
those exhausts will outlive you.
Wont scrape on anything & the black is normal

Super Moderator - How may I help?
Where did you buy it? From dealer? IF so, talk with them. It IS possible that it has been modified by a previous owner, or it has suspension issues.

Reactions: Liz-Beth

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Where did you buy it? From dealer? IF so, talk with them. It IS possible that it has been modified by a previous owner, or it has suspension issues.
dealer bought as CPO...just had it re-inspected and it passed with flying colors... What will it sound/feel like if there are suspension issues?

Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
Exhausts = Normal.

Another random 2017 CRV EX/EXL:

And just to note.. NO.. your tail pipes are not likely to ever scrape or drag on anything you drive over. Reason: you have more clearance from the road than say... an Accord.. which has exactly the same rear exhaust piping on it. You would have to back up into a curb that is literally more than 10 inches tall before the exhaust pipes could take damage.

[The "black" is just soot, a normal byproduct of engine combustion].

And... before this observation takes place by you..... :) that water you see dripping or blowing out of your exhaust pipes.... also normal, and at low dew point will appear as lots of vapor in the air when the vehicle is sitting idling. See.... these modern engines only produce about three things... 1) torque to drive the CVT 2) water (one gallon of fuel results in just over one gallon of water out the exhaust). 3) a bit of soot that will coat the inside surface of the exhaust system.

One last one :) .... when you get around to looking under your vehicle at the exhaust pipes... YES.. you will see some minor corrosion on the piping, also normal. This is caused during the manufacturing process as they extrude the metal and then weld the seams on the piping. The welding process creates some surface oxidation even though the pipe material is stainless steel. The oxidation will not progress over time, and the pipes will probably outlive the rest of the vehicle.

Enjoy your new CRV! :)

Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
what is CR-V's height is it 8.1in no it's actually lower than the 1st 2 generations that came out and are 7.8"

Just be careful when you back into those driveways with awesome Dips. and speeding over the sleeping Policemen, Because they chose to keep the skirts higher, that is the ugliness being scene (yes I spelled it scene, not seen) or some loving the under carriage look go-figure, maybe there will be a giant write up on this,

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Exhausts = Normal.

Another random 2017 CRV EX/EXL: View attachment 144267
And just to note.. NO.. your tail pipes are not likely to ever scrape or drag on anything you drive over. Reason: you have more clearance from the road than say... an Accord.. which has exactly the same rear exhaust piping on it. You would have to back up into a curb that is literally more than 10 inches tall before the exhaust pipes could take damage.

[The "black" is just soot, a normal byproduct of engine combustion].

And... before this observation takes place by you..... :) that water you see dripping or blowing out of your exhaust pipes.... also normal, and at low dew point will appear as lots of vapor in the air when the vehicle is sitting idling. See.... these modern engines only produce about three things... 1) torque to drive the CVT 2) water (one gallon of fuel results in just over one gallon of water out the exhaust). 3) a bit of soot that will coat the inside surface of the exhaust system.

One last one :) .... when you get around to looking under your vehicle at the exhaust pipes... YES.. you will see some minor corrosion on the piping, also normal. This is caused during the manufacturing process as they extrude the metal and then weld the seams on the piping. The welding process creates some surface oxidation even though the pipe material is stainless steel. The oxidation will not progress over time, and the pipes will probably outlive the rest of the vehicle.

Enjoy your new CRV! :)
thanks for the details. (I am very interested in knowing as much as I can about the vehicle, which I bought without asking enough questions...obviously! Thank goodness you guys in the CRV -owners group are so forgiving of my seemingly light-weight questions...and for answering me so promptly and with respect and DETAILS!

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
what is CR-V's height is it 8.1in no it's actually lower than the 1st 2 generations that came out and are 7.8"
View attachment 144272

Just be careful when you back into those driveways with awesome Dips. and speeding over the sleeping Policemen, Because they chose to keep the skirts higher, that is the ugliness being scene (yes I spelled it scene, not seen) or some loving the under carriage look go-figure, maybe there will be a giant write up on this,
Yikes, I did see these specs and that 7.8 inches seem super low...Yeah, I happen to know those who like to see some "guts" on what, to me, is a lovely almost pretty car...not a muscle-car! Thanks for the tip re: dips, holes, etc. Luckily I live in Chicagoland but will be road-tripping soon....

Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
"Sleeping Policemen" = speed bumps. LOL!

Also known as a Traffic Calming Device. o_O (Until you drive over one too fast...)

Registered
But to put the ground clearance number in perspective, that is measured at the lowest point. For example, the first generation Chevrolet Blazer (K5) only had 8 inches of ground clearance with the stock tires. That most likely was the bottom of the differential housing but I still did plenty of off roading with mine in Colorado back in the 70's. Picture isn't mine, just a file photo.

Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
Lol I would pull up to a parking stopper and see I got a inch or two clearance and I am a sedan Lol the crv one day I'll do that vid

Registered
"Sleeping Policemen" = speed bumps. LOL!

Also known as a Traffic Calming Device. o_O (Until you drive over one too fast...)
And just to note... taking speed bumps too fast could cause physical damage to your starter battery. The mechanical shock could cause a plate to short. It can also cause electrolyte to slosh past the vapor recovery caps and then you end up with a conductive path between one or more cells in the battery, which can compromise it's ability to start your CRV.

Speed bumps are best respected, for what they are... motivations to slow down in low speed areas. :)

Registered
Yikes, I did see these specs and that 7.8 inches seem super low...Yeah, I happen to know those who like to see some "guts" on what, to me, is a lovely almost pretty car...not a muscle-car! Thanks for the tip re: dips, holes, etc. Luckily I live in Chicagoland but will be road-tripping soon....
0.3 tenths of an inch difference in clearance is literally... nothing.. in the context of the CRV riding on the road under a wide range of road conditions. :)

------ = ~ 0.3 inches

But if it concerns, you can always buy slightly higher profile tires that will make up for that 0.3 inches.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
And just to note... taking speed bumps too fast could cause physical damage to your starter battery. The mechanical shock could cause a plate to short. It can also cause electrolyte to slosh past the vapor recovery caps and then you end up with a conductive path between one or more cells in the battery, which can compromise it's ability to start your CRV.

Speed bumps are best respected, for what they are... motivations to slow down in low speed areas. :)
Thanks...I hate those and always take them slowly..

The Enforcer
Interesting topic!

On the 1.5T in the UK/Europe, this is how they look (standard bumper, not OEM Sports bumper):

Registered
Does Mineke even advertise themselves as a "muffler" shop any more? (I remember their slogan used to be "I'm not gonna pay a lot for this muffler!") I remember as a kid my parents getting their "lifetime warranty" muffler on our '77 VW Microbus replaced like a half-dozen times. Meanwhile I've never had to do a damn thing to my exhaust, and certainly it's not common to hear cars with bad mufflers or exhaust pipes.

I think modern exhaust maintenance consists of maybe having to eventually replace an O2 sensor or a poisoned Cat.

Registered

Interesting about the impact of speeding over speed bumps on batteries. What do you think

Interesting about the possible impact of speeding over speed bumps on our thin battery plates. How do you think driving over 5 miles of fairly rough dirt road almost every day impacts our batteries?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts