Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a new 2017 CR-V EX AWD. The Blind spot monitor(BSM) is faulty. It was doing 2 things. The driver side Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) is (A) giving me false positives, and (B) the range was not covering the entire area. By false positives, i mean that the light is coming on, or warning me when i signal, and there is nothing in my blindspot. In regards to the part of the range not being covered, it was like the entire field was about 5 feet too far forward. Someone could be literally on my back bumper, and i wouldn't get a light. When the light came on, the person would be well out of my blind spot in the front, and i would still have a light until I was completely. passed.

In summary, over the past 3 months, I have taken the car to 2 separate dealer service department, a total of 3 times and opened up a case with Honda Customer Service. The service departments cannot replicate the false positives. Initially, i only got 1 to 3 a day, so typically you only see a problem 3-9 seconds of my typical 1.5 hour/per day commute. The service departments both said they were unwilling to work on the car, if they can't replicate the issue. It is not throwing a code. After the first two trips to the dealer, i started taking videos of the mirror, in order to prove there was an issue. After obtaining 2 videos, i showed them to the service technician, and they agreed to replace the radar sensor. After the sensor was replaced, the issue got worse. Though the (B)range not covered the entire area issue was resolved, the (A) false positives issue got much worse. So, i took a couple more videos, and took the care back to the service department. They are now telling me that my videos do not mean anything. They cannot work on the car without them being able to replicate the issue. They drove the car for a day (supposedly 104 miles) and said they had no false positives. They promptly told me there was nothing wrong and told me to pick up my car. Within 24 hours of picking up the car, i have had 4 more false positives, I've have 2 of them on video. Below is the video i sent

At this point, i don't think Honda is going to fix it. They either don't care, or they can't fix it. I am going to have to fix it myself, or pay to fix it at my cost. So i am looking for advice. Had anyone here dealt with a similar issue? Does anyone have any advice? My guess is that the CPU or module, or whatever, calibrates itself with the sensor that is has during some initial program setting at the factory. When this was done, the car had a bad sensor, via a manufacturing defect. The defect caused a dead spot in the sensor. The calibration made a "best case" setting setting to compensate for the dead spot. Now that the sensor has been replaced, the initial calibration setting is causing the issue to be worse, so not i am just grabbing random stuff. My thought is if the CPU or module that has these settings is replaced or the software reloaded or reset, it should fix it. Please review the videos linked below and let me know your thoughts. Any help is greatly appreciated.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxV96BjaiiihTmdxanNMZ2JfMEk/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxV96BjaiiihNG15MHRFSXl3SHM/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxV96BjaiiihVWdPZGJvWlJROFE/view?usp=sharing
(This is the worst one, and most recent. It shows clearly I am picking up guard rail, because a School bus happens to block it, and it goes off and back on when the bus is past. It also shows me passing several guardrails without getting a light.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have errors on my brand new crv as well, the message says Blind Spot info system Problem blind spot error.jpg . The dealer initially thought that my EZ pass was blocking front mirror, but the message returned today while i was at a stoplight and a car approached me from the rear and got fairly close to my back bumper, anybody else have this error?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a similar problem in my wife's car. It is a 2017 CR-V Touring. Sometimes when just driving straight down a road with no other cars in either direction the warning light in the driver side mirror will illuminate Other times it happens when driving on a curve. I cannot make it happen. Other times a car is along my driver side and the light does not go on at all. I took it in to the dealer and they could not find a problem. I hope someone out there has a solution. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have errors on my brand new crv as well, the message says Blind Spot info system Problem View attachment 84826 . The dealer initially thought that my EZ pass was blocking front mirror, but the message returned today while i was at a stoplight and a car approached me from the rear and got fairly close to my back bumper, anybody else have this error?
I have a problem with mine as well. It sporadically shows a "Blind Spot System Malfunction" message. Dealer cannot find the issues and told me that Honda only records "safety" faults. I guess that Honda does not consider Blind Spot to be a safety system. He recommended bringing in the car when the fault occurs and not to shut the car off because it will reset. I don't know how feasible that will be. Anybody else having problems or know of a solution?

·
Registered
18 Posts
My passenger side blind spot monitor is giving me false positives. It comes on and stays on when there was nothing there to trigger it. Dealer said they couldn't recreate it but it would help them move on to the next step (whatever that is) if I record a video of the problem.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just curious...these roads where you are getting the false positives...where there anything like concrete dividers, guard rails, traffic cones, fences, etc.?

Sorry haven't had a chance to see the videos.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just curious...these roads where you are getting the false positives...where there anything like concrete dividers, guard rails, traffic cones, fences, etc.?

Sorry haven't had a chance to see the videos.
On mine, I get it anywhere but it looks like it's prone to happening at night. I don't have any videos of it yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am getting this as well - particularly on the driver's side, I notice that the BSI system alerts me when there is nothing there. I took it to the dealer and they could not replicate the problem. They said something about updating software, after which I think the problem occurs more frequently, but seems more predictable also. It seems to happen either a prescribed amount of time after I start driving the car, or once I hit a certain speed. Sound familiar to anyone?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh no! I love driving my Honda 2017 CR-V (1 month old) but I do notice that I get a blind spot false positive on the driver?s side maybe once a day. Also go a false positive BRAKE warning on the expressway! I think that was because there was a patch in the road. Proves we still need human drivers. I love the adaptive cruise control and hope there is nothing faulty with that ever.

·
Registered
516 Posts
This goes back to the need for 3 different systems to do safety monitoring and 2 of the 3 agreeing before any action is taken. One system is prone to fail - no amount of software will fix that - different systems with different sensors are the only way it will work with no false positives and no failure to detect.

Should be against the law to only have a single system. We have dual redundant brakes on cars for 30 years because of some single failures. If we are such bad drivers that we need help - make sure the help is as good as it can be - not just it sort of works.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got the message this evening as well. It was dark outside. The message went away after restarting the car, but then came back after I started it again after finishing my grocery shopping, during the same trip.

I'll be hooking up my ODB scanner to see if I can pick up any codes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used the car again this morning around ~10am. I didn't get the blind spot problem message, even though I restarted it a few times within 2 hours.

My ODB Sensor isn't working properly. I probably need to get a better one.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I dont have any issues like this in our 2017 crv but in our 2015 mdx occasionally.
We bought a new house in may and one day i parked down the block it was like 100 degrees and got front collision warnings and everything on the dash, didnt think to much of it from the heat.
Month or so later i was in the shade, cool day (SAME SPOT) and the same thing.

Then started noticing it on the highway.

I nailed it down to that spot on my block has a solar panel to power the light, and on the highway occasionally has solar panels to power lighting as well.
I think honda/acuras pick up those reading and give false positives. when we first got our truck it was "pre honda sensing" but you could get the collision, lane, auto breaking etc and we would have it auto stop from the led tailights or reflections back at the radar.

I never called anyone to verify it but thats my .02 so take that with a grain of salt lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been having these false positives on my 2017 Touring as well. Always in the dark and it seems to be more frequent when it is colder (below freezing) outside. It doesn't seem to occur in any one particular area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just this week, I started getting false warnings, on the driver's side, in the mornings on the way to work (around 05:30, so it's still dark).

It has also been in the 30's in the mornings - but the CRV spends the night in the garage.

Wonder if it has something to do with the difference in the temperatures from the warm garage to the cold morning air...

After reading that others are having the same issue, I will pay more attention to the conditions under which the problem occurs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2017 CRV Touring has started to have this problem. I've driven it for just over 16000 kms. and the problem started a couple of months ago. It is intermittent (at least 4 or 5 false positives every drive) regardless of weather or time of day. It doesn't matter whether it is a 2 lane-road or a four-lane road.

My service manager has been working with me to determine the source of the problem. So far, the software has had a hard reset, the door panel has been removed and the connectors checked. It was still doing it. I have given him three videos of three separate times when the BSI lit up for no apparent reason. He is sending them off to Honda Upper ups. Hope that they figure out something about this annoying feature. As an aside, I drove my service manager's CRV-Touring and did not get a single false positive BSI.

Unlike other posts in this forum, we (service manager and I) are working through this annoyance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2017 CRV Touring has started to have this problem. I've driven it for just over 16000 kms. and the problem started a couple of months ago. It is intermittent (at least 4 or 5 false positives every drive) regardless of weather or time of day. It doesn't matter whether it is a 2 lane-road or a four-lane road.

My service manager has been working with me to determine the source of the problem. So far, the software has had a hard reset, the door panel has been removed and the connectors checked. It was still doing it. I have given him three videos of three separate times when the BSI lit up for no apparent reason. He is sending them off to Honda Upper ups. Hope that they figure out something about this annoying feature. As an aside, I drove my service manager's CRV-Touring and did not get a single false positive BSI.

Unlike other posts in this forum, we (service manager and I) are working through this annoyance.

UPDATE: My service department has replaced the 'radar' sensor in the rear driver's side. We are hoping that this has solved the problem. The service department at my Honda dealer has been respectful and concerned about this issue. I am the first one with this issue at this dealership. I will update in a few days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The wife and I picked up our 2018 CR-V EX-L last night, and before we got off the lot it had the "Blind Spot Info System Problem" message. I brought it to the attention of the sales manager. He turned off and restarted the vehicle and it went away. Twice today it came back. Seems to be intermittent and very annoying for a brand new car. I hope that Honda is working on a solution.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
The problem is with a faulty component , if you are waiting for Honda to do something you'll be waiting a long time. If you get an alarm don't restart the vehicle, take it to the dealer so that they can plug their equipment in to see the fault while the car is running and the alarm is active. Restarting the vehicle seems to clears any errors and the service tech can't determine what happened.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts