Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Deep in a post I found where a Honda dealer recently found the problem to the cold weather rattling/ clunking noise coming from under the dash. Thought I would summarize here for all to understand and assist with the fix. This has drove me crazy every winter when the temperature became colder than freezing. The sound would come and go. I believe this affects all years for the Generation 5 CRV.
The issue is the driver side strut mount plastic cap. It must degrade overtime and gets smaller with the cold weather which causes it to be loose and make noise when going over bumps.
Located under the hood back by the firewall. Simply grab the cap with your fingers and pull/ twist if off – That’s it. I talked to a mechanic and he stated leave it off, that it’s a dust cap and does not make a difference. If you feel you want it back on, get a tube of clear silicone and generously put on bottom of cap and on the base and push/ twist back on. The silicone will harden lock it in from moving. There is another cap on the passenger side on the car you can also remove to be safe from the noise.
I have attached a few pics of the location and cap itself

Sample Video of the noise (turn up your sound):

(y)

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
JKD

Thanks for posting I had the same problem and forwarded your post to my Honda dealer. They replaced the cap on the strut as you indicated and the problem is gone no more noise when cold.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Deep in a post I found where a Honda dealer recently found the problem to the cold weather rattling/ clunking noise coming from under the dash. Thought I would summarize here for all to understand and assist with the fix. This has drove me crazy every winter when the temperature became colder than freezing. The sound would come and go. I believe this affects all years for the Generation 5 CRV.
The issue is the driver side strut mount plastic cap. It must degrade overtime and gets smaller with the cold weather which causes it to be loose and make noise when going over bumps.
Located under the hood back by the firewall. Simply grab the cap with your fingers and pull/ twist if off – That’s it. I talked to a mechanic and he stated leave it off, that it’s a dust cap and does not make a difference. If you feel you want it back on, get a tube of clear silicone and generously put on bottom of cap and on the base and push/ twist back on. The silicone will harden lock it in from moving. There is another cap on the passenger side on the car you can also remove to be safe from the noise.
I have attached a few pics of the location and cap itself

Sample Video of the noise (turn up your sound):

(y)
51608-TBA-A00 -->This is the part number i believe. My question is though - is this more like a design flaw? My CR-V is newly bought in 2020 and the cap doesn't look like it was worn out or anything. if i replace with a new part, how likely the new part isn't gonna work. Should i just rather leave this cap off?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honestly, it's incredible ... I left my vehicle in the honda for a whole week, so they didn't even find the problem, they justified their lack of knowledge that this was the product of a bad repair where I took my CRV due to a small accident. Long before that they made me spend $ 289. Dollars to change a plastic They never found the reason for the sound. Thank you very much!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.