Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a copy of the Honda .pdf and it looks like installing a 2017 hitch is a dealer only project.
One dealer told me on the phone, the Honda standard for installation the hitch and harness was 2.2 hours.
That looks a bargain based on what I saw in the 38 page installation manual.
I think any hitch manufacturer would have to build a fairly tricky hitch to get around removing rear bumper and left side to the rear interior which is required to install the Honda Hitch

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was looking to have a hitch put on my 2017 CRV Touring. After checking out that video and doing research on it I am now leaning toward NOT having one. There is SO much involved and I'm afraid the installation may cause me to end up with problems, such as leaks, that I do not have now. It's worrisome how much must be removed and changed to have one installed. Last time I looked I couldn't even find it listed as an accessory. Makes me wonder!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Uh oh! I just ordered a non-Honda hitch. They said you have to move the muffler out of the way but that seemed to be it. I'll post what I find once it arrives.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I installed a DrawTite in 90 minutes. The mufflers need to be dropped to get the hitch in place. The most challenging part of the install is torquing the fasteners. The eTrailer video is excellent.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Retail for a 2017 CR-V hitch is $359.00 plus the hourly rate for installation. The national average hourly rate at a Honda dealer is $121 a hour. And they have other charges that they will stick you with like "environmental" charges. My local, independently owed, shop will do the whole installation for less than $121.00; while Honda would charge me about $1600 which includes the hitch. The $1600 was for a Honda dealership in Virginia, which was found here on the forum. Mksman 03-26-2013, 03:25 PM (I called my local dealer - Hendrick Honda of Woodbridge, VA and was flabbergasted at the $1600 quote they gave me. I was sincerely hoping that my local dealer would be more competitive than that. I cannot understand how they can justify that amount on a simple trailer hitch installation. It's turned me off to doing any business with them. )

·
Registered
2 Posts
How long have you been running with your DrawTite hitch? Is it working well for you? Would you buy it again?

I agree that the installation video is well done and the process looks pretty easy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Imma considering this addition, but wondering how a non-Honda part or installation could affect warranty. Any insights?

I saw a receiver on HondaPartsFlorida for $256, but it's hard to see a shop performing the 83 steps of installation for $121:D:D

Maybe just barely a DIY with lots of patience...

Cid from Memphis

·
Registered
83 Posts
Imma considering this addition, but wondering how a non-Honda part or installation could affect warranty. Any insights?
Should something go wrong, the warranty provider will need to determine the cause of the problem. The Federal Trade Commission says, “The manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.” That means if the dealer can prove (the burden is on the dealer) the problem was caused by the wrong viscosity or a poor quality oil filter, your warranty can be denied. Warranty protection would still be in effect for other parts of the cars. To avoid warranty issues, the FTC has these tips.

Read your warranty. Be familiar with the terms and specifics. This can be found bundled with your owner’s manual and often found on an automaker’s website.

Know the warranty period. Document problems as they develop and don’t wait to seek a repair.

Keep all service records. No matter the work, or who performs it, keep the receipts. This can be valuable in proving the maintenance history, help resolve disputes, and potentially impress a future buyer.

Complain. Work through the dealership system, escalating as you deem appropriate to supervisors and area managers to ensure fair service. If a dealership isn’t working with you, try another. If the resolution isn’t satisfactory, file a complaint with the state attorney general."http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/06/can-an-aftermarket-part-void-my-car-warranty/index.htm

Now, the shop's service manager might try to tell you that your hitch was not attached properly because it was not a Honda hitch, but he has to prove it! He might say that you blew the transmission cause you hauled something to heavy, but he has to prove it!

He might even try to tell you that a aftermarket hitch voids you warranty, but the Aftermarket Manufacturers have insured that you have the protection of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act when it comes to aftermarket parts and your vehicle's warranty. Included in the protections for reasonable use in the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is the right for consumers to have the vehicle serviced at a business of their choice and the option to use aftermarket parts, meaning potentially money-saving alternatives to those that came on the car, while retaining the original warranty. The automaker is not allowed to void a warranty just because a nonfactory part is used.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 CRV 1.25" Draw-Tite 36597 receiver hitch from etrailer.com is fantastic.
1. I ordered it online from etrailer.com for $93.95 plus $13.79 for shipping.
2. I emailed my professional installer the install-video from the etrailer website.
3. I received the hitch from etrailer in 3 days.
4. Took it to my professional installer, who installed it in less than 1.5 hours. Installer said it was just like video from etrailer site: lower mufflers, put bolts through pre-drilled holes (once he widened those holes).
5. Installer charged me $80.00.
6. Total cost $187.74.
7. My Thule 1.25" bike rack fit the receiver hitch perfectly. That afternoon, I moved 8 different bikes to various locations on the bike rack. Everything worked smoothly.
8. Later that day, I went grocery shopping. The kick sensor for opening/closing the CRV's back door worked fine. It was not obstructed by the hitch.
9. I did not like the white "Draw-Tite" lettering on the left brace of the hitch...so I peeled it off.
10. I left the white technical info on the right brace because it is useful and not ugly.
11. The only reason I need a receiver hitch is for my bike rack.
12. My bike rack is 1.25" and securely key locks onto the 1.25" receiver.
13. A Class III 2" receiver is larger than I need. It could be fitted with an adapter for a 1.25", BUT I was not convinced the adapter could be as securely key locked, and the 2" receiver would make the CRV look more like a truck.
14. To me, the Class II 1.25" receiver hitch looks fine as part of the back of my 2017 CRV Touring. See pics. If you have difficulty seeing the hitch, you are correct...it melds into the CRV.
15. Prior to discovering etrailer, I asked my Honda dealer to order the Honda 2017 CRV hitch and install it. That would have been 1k. After reading the 30-some page installation instructions, I became concerned with the Honda installer having to take so much of the CRV apart...including the back sensors. Fortunately my Honda dealer could not get the Honda hitch.
15. Fortunately I carefully reviewed the etrailer.com website and video.
16. I am extremely pleased with etrailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
My son wants to put a class III hitch on the 2017 CR-V in order to transport a 300 lb dirt bike on a hitch rack ( not trailer) - will this work? It would be well under the tongue weight of the hitch but I am still wary. He tells me not to worry but that's kind of my job.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My son wants to put a class III hitch on the 2017 CR-V in order to transport a 300 lb dirt bike on a hitch rack ( not trailer) - will this work? It would be well under the tongue weight of the hitch but I am still wary. He tells me not to worry but that's kind of my job.
What's the entire weight of the hitch mount? I have a class 3 hitch on my 2015 and I wouldn't like it . It's a personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had a Draw Tite class III hitch installed today. Took the shop about an hour. I am getting too old to lie on a cold driveway and drop 2 mufflers to install a hitch. Looks great, Thule mount fits great, very pleased. Well under the 1000.00 quote from dealer, even when told I don't have the assisted hatch sensor.
YMMV

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome, ea! Congrats on your EX! I'm getting that way myself, but it's warmer in TN....:D

Sorry for dup posts...

·
Registered
11 Posts
What's the entire weight of the hitch mount? I have a class 3 hitch on my 2015 and I wouldn't like it . It's a personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Draw-tite specs say the hitch itself weighs 28 lbs with 675/4,500 lbs. (TW/GTW) Then the bike carrier weight is 36.5 lbs. Then the bike weighs just under 300 lbs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts