Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a few previous 2017 threads, some users mentioned having some trouble programming the Homelink transmitter.

The flowchart/instructions in the user guide were completely useless for me, but I had no problems using the documentation that came with my garage door opener (as listed in the linked PDF).

This may be due to the age of my garage door opener (10+years) or a faulty manual. Please try your device's instructions if the Owner's Guide doesn't work for you.

Previous thread related to 2015/2016 CR-Vs

·
Registered
704 Posts
The Homelink instructions in the 2017 owner's manual are confusing and lacking in important details.

I went to this website and entered my make/model/year car and garage opener info and got exact instructions that helped a LOT...

http://www.homelink.com/home/welcome

·
Registered
275 Posts
Actually, you guys are completely on point. I found the instructions in the manual were actually not just useless or confusing, but were wrong. After playing around with it for a while and getting frustrated using the manual, I ended up discarding the manual and experimenting - which resulted in getting it working. I think there is a misprint in the manual where it tells you to press but not hold, when in fact you have to hold the homeland button down for a while.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Actually, you guys are completely on point. I found the instructions in the manual were actually not just useless or confusing, but were wrong. After playing around with it for a while and getting frustrated using the manual, I ended up discarding the manual and experimenting - which resulted in getting it working. I think there is a misprint in the manual where it tells you to press but not hold, when in fact you have to hold the homeland button down for a while.
That's correct. The initial instruction or "pressing" is wrong. In order to get it to slowly blink you have to hold it. Then follow the rest of the instructions as stated and it will work.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Yeah, the manual has quite a few typos, to say the least.

What's frustrating on the HomeLink in particular is that it works identically in every single car that has it; I'm pretty sure HomeLink has a standard set of instructions they supply to OEM's, and all Honda had to do was print those instead. There was no need to write their own (confusing and incorrect) set.

Once I followed the instructions on the HomeLink website, it was programmed in seconds. (Though even the website wasn't aware of my 20-some yr-old opener... it had an extra step in there about hitting some "learning" button on the motor unit that didn't apply to my antique. I'm not upset about it, HomeLink is the only "universal" opener that works at all; I've tried to get "universal" aftermarket accessories to work before, and they don't.)

·
Registered
430 Posts
The Homelink instructions in the 2017 owner's manual are confusing and lacking in important details.

I went to this website and entered my make/model/year car and garage opener info and got exact instructions that helped a LOT...

http://www.homelink.com/home/welcome
Your link helped incredibly. After spending a good 45 min getting no where with the owners manual instructions, I watched the video for the Genie garage door opener on your link and it worked on the first try.

·
Registered
68 Posts
On a few previous 2017 threads, some users mentioned having some trouble programming the Homelink transmitter.

The flowchart/instructions in the user guide were completely useless for me, but I had no problems using the documentation that came with my garage door opener (as listed in the linked PDF).

This may be due to the age of my garage door opener (10+years) or a faulty manual. Please try your device's instructions if the Owner's Guide doesn't work for you.

[URL="http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14

Completely agree - the instructions in the manual did not work for us at all. We went to this site as well and programmed in less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The homelink website instructions didn't work for me either. The instructions below (from fiskerbuzz), however, did work:

Garage door programming:

1) In vehicle on rear view mirror, press and hold both outside buttons until the light near buttons flickers rapidly, this clears all codes.
2) Bring the remote garage door opener up near the buttons on mirror and press and hold the remote button and one of the vehicle buttons simultaneously, until the light on the mirror flickers rapidly. Then release buttons.
3) Get a ladder to access the learn button at the garage door motor, usually near the antenna wire hanging. Press the button once, a small LED light at the button location should illuminate.
4) Back to the car, press and hold the button you pressed in step (2) for about 2 seconds, you my or may not see the light bulb at the motor blink, indicating the code was received. Either case after 2 seconds release the button.
5) Finally press the button again in the car you programmed in step (2) and the door should operate properly! Congratulations you are now certified to program the door for future vehicles or additional garage doors….

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree. The instructions in the Honda manual do not work. Follow the instructions shown here and the Homelink will work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The ENTIRE Honda Crv 2017 manual OVER ALL is AWFUL, it was they wrote it in Japanese and ran it through Google translate.

After reading it 10 times I still couldn't figure it out. I actually found the YouTube video very helpful!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Like some I struggled to program our door opener following just about every video and instruction I could find. This post and the video helped but what I discovered was that to get our opener (chamberlain powerlift) to work, I have to hold down the homelink button for a good 2-3 seconds; simply pressing it and letting go like I do with our door opener remote 'clicker' won't work.

not sure if this is unique to ours or if this is how homelink is supposed. Regardless, sharing this to hopefully help out the next person who struggles with this.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
usually it's the openers that are the reason for frustration. mine has a roaming code, thus was easier to have 2 people do it - worked like a charm the 1st time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is Homelink something that comes with every 2017 (CR-V EX, US model)? I can't find any buttons on the mirror of mine at all.... Of course, I've been known to miss the obvious before, but they just don't seem to be there.

·
Registered
816 Posts
The LX and EX models did not come with it.
I could be wrong, but I think someone here awhile ago was able to swap in a homelink upper console trim piece and get it working on an LX or EX. I don't recall it needing extra wiring either, but maybe if someone is interested they can search around and find it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think someone here awhile ago was able to swap in a homelink upper console trim piece and get it working on an LX or EX. I don't recall it needing extra wiring either, but maybe if someone is interested they can search around and find it.
This might have been my post. The cliff notes version is that I wanted an auto-dimming mirror with Homelink buttons. I made this happen by using the mirror from a 2018+ Odyssey, combined with a modified harness from an Accord. No changes are made to the factory wiring.

auto dimming mirror with homelink

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just went to the back of my garage door opener and hit the program key, the red light stayed flashing and at that point I held down the button on the homelink system in the car and it programmed instantly. I just noticed that I also had to hold down the homeling button for about 2 seconds before it actually opens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts