Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 2459 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I'm in San Francisco Bay Area too. There are plenty of dealerships.

Of course if they are sold out everywhere, they have no need to budge, but CR-Vs are rolling into the dealerships in massive amounts in our area. I wouldn't pay MSRP or over MSRP.

Just do an inventory search on Cars.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
This afternoon I received an offer of $32,695 for the 2017 CR

Did you visit this dealer first or did you shop online? How did your offer come about? Thanks.
We have not found anyone yet that would come off of MSRP by more than $1000.

Did you visit this dealer first or did you shop online? How did your offer come about? Thanks.
We have not found anyone yet that would come off of MSRP by more than $1000.
I visited the dealership Friday last week. Met with the salesperson, did a very brief test drive and have been researching pricing and other dealers I was put in touch with via truecar.com.

Once I had my numbers and asked for the invoice price (haven't seen it yet in person but I will ask to see it in person before I agree on it. Two dealers have been within $200 of each other on invoice price and I have a strong hunch that's extremely close to actual invoice if it isn't the actual invoice).

I should add, however, the dealerships service advisor used to be my service advisor 20 years ago and I asked him to refer the better sales staff to me. Perhaps it helps that I've been going to this dealer for a long time and they're part of LARGE family of dealerships. I don't know whether that motivates a "take care of the customer" pricing or not.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We have bought 11 vehicles from our local dealer and they still will not come down more than $1k under MSRP on a Touring AWD. I am getting ready to put a little more pressure on them if they do not start moving on their own!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Exl, no nav, fwd, theft code, security system. At the end of the day i financed $32187.47, sorry don't feel like breaking out taxes etc.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Just bought a 2017 AWD EX. MSRP of $28,895 (includes $900 destination chrg). Paid $27,200 (not including tax,title,lic, etc).
Please clarify, did you get a discount of $28,895-$27,200 = $1,695? You say "not including tax, title, lic, etc", did the dealer add back fees to compensate for the discount? If you can, please break down the costs for us.

I visited the dealership Friday last week. Met with the salesperson, did a very brief test drive and have been researching pricing and other dealers I was put in touch with via truecar.com.

Once I had my numbers and asked for the invoice price (haven't seen it yet in person but I will ask to see it in person before I agree on it. Two dealers have been within $200 of each other on invoice price and I have a strong hunch that's extremely close to actual invoice if it isn't the actual invoice).

I should add, however, the dealerships service advisor used to be my service advisor 20 years ago and I asked him to refer the better sales staff to me. Perhaps it helps that I've been going to this dealer for a long time and they're part of LARGE family of dealerships. I don't know whether that motivates a "take care of the customer" pricing or not.
Invoice is meaningless when the dealers are selling at MSRP. You can calculate invoice fairly closely for most Honda vehicles by taking the standard 6% off MSRP. Once you get a firm quote from the dealer, please let us know.

We have bought 11 vehicles from our local dealer and they still will not come down more than $1k under MSRP on a Touring AWD. I am getting ready to put a little more pressure on them if they do not start moving on their own!
$1000 off MSRP isn't bad at all at the moment, again, as long as they don't add back that discount in "dealer fees" or "doc fees". You really need to know the "out the door" price to understand if the dealer is really discounting the vehicle below MSRP.

Exl, no nav, fwd, theft code, security system. At the end of the day i financed $32187.47, sorry don't feel like breaking out taxes etc.
Thanks but posting what you financed is not helpful. Did you have a down payment or did you finance the entire amount? What are your taxes, fees, title, tag costs? Without this info, others on the forum have no idea if your deal was below MSRP or not. When you say "no NAV", I'm guessing you purchased an EX-L model? Again, being specific is helpful if you are going to bother posting.

Also, if you have a trade, it's more difficult to know if the dealer sold you their vehicle for anything less than MSRP unless you break down what the trade value is compared to the trade amount given in the sale.

Thanks guys for trying, some info is better than no info so please hang in there and let us know the details.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please clarify, did you get a discount of $28,895-$27,200 = $1,695? You say "not including tax, title, lic, etc", did the dealer add back fees to compensate for the discount? If you can, please break down the costs for us.

Invoice is meaningless when the dealers are selling at MSRP. You can calculate invoice fairly closely for most Honda vehicles by taking the standard 6% off MSRP. Once you get a firm quote from the dealer, please let us know.

$1000 off MSRP isn't bad at all at the moment, again, as long as they don't add back that discount in "dealer fees" or "doc fees". You really need to know the "out the door" price to understand if the dealer is really discounting the vehicle below MSRP.

Thanks but posting what you financed is not helpful. Did you have a down payment or did you finance the entire amount? What are your taxes, fees, title, tag costs? Without this info, others on the forum have no idea if your deal was below MSRP or not. When you say "no NAV", I'm guessing you purchased an EX-L model? Again, being specific is helpful if you are going to bother posting.

Also, if you have a trade, it's more difficult to know if the dealer sold you their vehicle for anything less than MSRP unless you break down what the trade value is compared to the trade amount given in the sale.

Thanks guys for trying, some info is better than no info so please hang in there and let us know the details.
Sure, here are the additional details on my purchase (28,895 MSRP w/destination, and 27,200 purchase price):
- No Tradein
- Cash purchase
- 27,200 negotiated price
- 2,260 Sales Tax
- 101 tag fee
- 95 title fee
- 169 doc fee
- 40 other fees
- 29,865 OTD

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sure, here are the additional details on my purchase (28,895 MSRP w/destination, and 27,200 purchase price):
- No Tradein
- Cash purchase
- 2,260 Sales Tax
- 101 tag fee
- 95 title fee
- 169 doc fee
- 40 other fees
- 29,865 OTD
Hey Mick, any chance you can share the name of the dealer (assuming you bought in Chicago)? I am currently looking for a 2017 crv ex awd model.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just purchased: 2017 CRV 2WD EX-L /w NAV
MSRP: $31,095.00 which includes $900 destination fee

It wound up $30,525 which includes all dealer fees but before tax, title. Specifics are below.

Purchase price: $29,725.18
less trade in: -$400.00
delivery service charge: +$699.00
Doc Fee: +98.00
Tax: sales and county +1857.72
Title and registration fees +87.60
Dealer added acc. (pinstripes, mud guards,wheel locks,trunk tray) 0.00

·
Registered
19 Posts
Please clarify, did you get a discount of $28,895

Invoice is NOT meaningless if the dealer is offering $32,695 which includes the $900. That's $1000 off MSRP and $1,900 off total price (before any accessories, fees, taxes). They offered in response to my offer of ~$32055.

·
Registered
730 Posts
- No Tradein
- Cash purchase
- 2,260 Sales Tax
- 101 tag fee
- 95 title fee
- 169 doc fee
- 40 other fees
- 29,865 OTD
By my estimate, that is about $1,350 off MSRP which is the best deal I've seen on this thread so far. Congrats on your new CR-V EX AWD. What color did you choose?

It wound up $30,525 which includes all dealer fees but before tax, title. Specifics are below.

Also, thanks you two! The details are much more helpful. I have an OTD price standing at $35,500 for a 2WD Touring (our tax is 7%). If I find a dealer who is willing to go an even $35,000 OTD I may take it. That would be about $625 off MSRP. However, the EX 2WD model is the value leader, you get a lot of vehicle for $6,000 less. I just need to decide if the Touring is worth the extra cost.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's the deal I have in Washington state.

I received your email regarding a 2017 Honda CR-V and thank you.

Here is the information that you requested.

2017 HONDA CR-V EX AWD

YOUR PRICE
(INCLUDES MUD GUARDS, ALL WEATHER MATS,
CARGO TRAY & LIFETIME POWER TRAIN WARRANTY) $27,688.00
SALES TAX (8.93%) $2,472.54
LICENSE $191.50
DOC FEE $150.00

TOTAL $30,502.04

ALL of our new Honda's come with a COMPLEMENTARY "LIFETIME" POWER TRAIN WARRANTY for as long as you own the vehicle and if we do not have the color or model in stock that you are looking for, we can usually get it that same day or next day worst case scenario at no extra charge to you.

I couldn't figure out how to post a picture of the invoice so I'll just list it.

INVOICE

2017 Honda CR-V AWD EX Modern Steel Metalic $26,281.12

Destination and handling charge. $900.00

Invoice total. $27,181.12

MSRP listed on Invoice $27,995.00

MSRP listed at Dealers. $28,895.00

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sounds like you some of you guys got some great deals. However, please keep an eye on your out the door price. I ended up getting only $500 off of sticker, but was offered something like $1,200 off. The thing is the better sounding $1200 off really wasn't. They re-added the $900 shipping, and added some unwanted pin striping, wheel locks, extra processing fees, etc... which all told ended up being a few hundred more than the simple $500 off offer.

·
Registered
730 Posts
- No Tradein
- Cash purchase
- 2,260 Sales Tax
- 101 tag fee
- 95 title fee
- 169 doc fee
- 40 other fees
- 29,865 OTD

Here's the deal I have in Washington state.

I received your email regarding a 2017 Honda CR-V and thank you.

Here is the information that you requested.

2017 HONDA CR-V EX AWD

YOUR PRICE
(INCLUDES MUD GUARDS, ALL WEATHER MATS,
CARGO TRAY & LIFETIME POWER TRAIN WARRANTY) $27,688.00
SALES TAX (8.93%) $2,472.54
LICENSE $191.50
DOC FEE $150.00

TOTAL $30,502.04

ALL of our new Honda's come with a COMPLEMENTARY "LIFETIME" POWER TRAIN WARRANTY for as long as you own the vehicle and if we do not have the color or model in stock that you are looking for, we can usually get it that same day or next day worst case scenario at no extra charge to you.

I couldn't figure out how to post a picture of the invoice so I'll just list it.

INVOICE

2017 Honda CR-V AWD EX Modern Steel Metalic $26,281.12

Destination and handling charge. $900.00

Invoice total. $27,181.12

MSRP listed on Invoice $27,995.00

MSRP listed at Dealers. $28,895.00
By my calculations you did very well, a bit less than $1,000 off MSRP once you consider all the inflated dealer added fees. Overall a nice deal on a 2017 model that just went on sale.

Sounds like you some of you guys got some great deals. However, please keep an eye on your out the door price. I ended up getting only $500 off of sticker, but was offered something like $1,200 off. The thing is the better sounding $1200 off really wasn't. They re-added the $900 shipping, and added some unwanted pin striping, wheel locks, extra processing fees, etc... which all told ended up being a few hundred more than the simple $500 off offer.
That's what I've been saying. An out the door price is what matters, not invoice price, not "your price". Buyers need to consider the final price after all the "discounts" and added dealer markup in the form of made up fees and over priced add-on accessories.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Just got back from the dealer, didn't do as well as some of you guys but went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 2017. Here is my breakdown:

2WD Touring (White Diamond/Black)
Vehicle MSRP (incl dest): $33,295
Negotiated Price: $32,364
Dealer Fee: $599
GA Tax: $2,314
Total OTD price: $35,400
(No extras, no accessories)

You could look at it as about $1,000 discount, but when you add back the "Dealer Fee" and the Registration (should be $39), the discount is more like $300. Not bad given I purchased the vehicle so close to the launch date.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My father worked for years as the Office Manager for a car dealership. The paper work was just part of the cost to the dealer for selling the car. To me the cost of the paperwork in selling a car is a cost of doing business for the dealer PERIOD. The latest theft scheme by dealers is to charge you for doing the required paperwork. I refuse to pay for what they are required to do to sell the car. If it costs them the sale for the vehicle I would have purchased sorry.

It is just another way to "blind side" the customer after the deal has been struck and the purchaser feels committed to purchase the car for the NEGOTIATED PRICE. Same as charging $699 to make the brake lights that flash, paint protection, and other accessories . Did you know they not only charge retail for the accessories but also charge to install items so simple to install as the cargo liner and the floor mats?

Go to http://www.collegehillshonda.com/category/2017-honda-crv-accessories.html and buy yours for wholesale and put them in yourself.

Same with the splash guards - they install with screws in holes already provided on the new car. All you have to is slap them on and screw the provided screws into the provided wholes.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My father worked for years as the Office Manager for a car dealership. The paper work was just part of the cost to the dealer for selling the car. To me the cost of the paperwork in selling a car is a cost of doing business for the dealer PERIOD. The latest theft scheme by dealers is to charge you for doing the required paperwork. I refuse to pay for what they are required to do to sell the car. If it costs them the sale for the vehicle I would have purchased sorry.

It is just another way to "blind side" the customer after the deal has been struck and the purchaser feels committed to purchase the car for the NEGOTIATED PRICE. Same as charging $699 to make the brake lights that flash, paint protection, and other accessories . Did you know they not only charge retail for the accessories but also charge to install items so simple to install as the cargo liner and the floor mats?

Go to http://www.collegehillshonda.com/category/2017-honda-crv-accessories.html and buy yours for wholesale and put them in yourself.

Same with the splash guards - they install with screws in holes already provided on the new car. All you have to is slap them on and screw the provided screws into the provided wholes.
I feel the same way about the dealer "Doc Fees", paying for the dealer to file their paperwork should not be the customers expense. What "paperwork" is there anyway, it's all electronic! BTW, some dealers also charge an "electronic filing fee" so watch out for that one too. However, every, and I mean every dealer in our area charges fees in order to make more profit. If you don't want to pay it, you don't buy a new car. You can buy a used car from a private seller, or from CarMax. CarMax is probably the only (used) car seller in our area that does not charge extra fees. I would have been happy to have purchased our CR-V from CarMax, but I wanted a 2017 model, not a 2016 or older model.

As for the accessories, I agree there as well. That's why I asked for the dealer not to add anything, to deliver the car to me the way it left the Honda factory. We will be purchasing the mud guards and all weather floor mats from either College Hills or H&A Accessories online. I've worked with both places and they provide very good service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We just picked up a 2017 Touring 2WD in White with Black interior.
Here are the numbers:

$30438.00
$900.00 Freight
$497.00 Protection Pkg
$124.00 Cargo Tray
$16.50 Title Fee
$1161.11 Tax @ 3.583%
$447.00 Delivery Fee (Most dealers call it a DOC Fee)

I Think we did pretty good! No Trade in. Mostly cash from a TDI buyback with a small 10k financing at 2.1% with our bank. No extra warranty bought. They threw in FREE All Weather Floor Mats that I demanded to have.

·
Registered
730 Posts
We just picked up a 2017 Touring 2WD in White with Black interior.
Here are the numbers:

$30438.00
$900.00 Freight
$497.00 Protection Pkg
$124.00 Cargo Tray
$16.50 Title Fee
$1161.11 Tax @ 3.583%
$447.00 Delivery Fee (Most dealers call it a DOC Fee)

I Think we did pretty good! No Trade in. Mostly cash from a TDI buyback with a small 10k financing at 2.1% with our bank. No extra warranty bought. They threw in FREE All Weather Floor Mats that I demanded to have.
Very nice deal, looks like you got about a $1,900 discount, not including the floor mats. That's the best deal I've seen yet on a 2WD Touring!

Also, nice job on the TDI buyback, and choosing a Honda that will serve you well for many years to come.

41 - 60 of 2459 Posts