Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WARNING : "LONG POST"

Hi everyone, i am following this forum since i bought my 2017 CR-v Touring(Canadian model-slightly used 10000 km/35k CA) last year in September and i would like to thank to everyone sharing his experience and knowledge with this community.
Now i will share mine :)))
First i must say i love my CR-V,i was close to buy a used 2014 Audi Q5 after the TDI mess (i had an 2012 A3 TDI witch i gave it back and i was shopping for a SUV).After test driving a few Q5 (i was pretty much in love at that time with Audi) i gave a chance to the new CR-V and i am glad i did, mostly was because of the new 1.5 Turbo engine and new design that made me curious. I can proudly say that the handling,the cabin insulation and comfort is pretty close to the Audi standard, the torque and HP are less (Q5 has 220 hp @4450 rpm/258 ft-lb @1500 rpm) but the Q5 price for a used SUV, the premium gas, mpg and the fact that this was supposed to be my daily driver made me pick the CR-V. Not a fan of the CTV transmission but this one is doing a good job, now the engine is louder that i am used to sometimes but i can live with when i see the mpg on my dashboard, 9.6 to 10 l/100 km in Canadian winter is pretty amazing for this car.
Okkkk now my suspension clunking noise, on the front/right side at the begging and then randomly on the driver side also, started after winter cold came in (sub zero Celsius temperatures).At the beginning i thought its some dashboard plastic rattling and i went completely nuts in trying to find it, the clunking noise sometimes started right away or after awhile when passing over small bumps no matter what speed i had, but was more pronounced at speed of 50-60 km/h.I spent hours on internet trying to find anything relating to this kind of noise in the new CRV and what came out in my research was the same clunking noise was present actually in other different new Honda/Acura models.
At this point i went straight to the dealer and took a technician to test drive the car with me, i pinpointed the noise with him to the top of the damper and i told him about what i found about the same noise witch was present in other honda/acura models
Later in the day after more investigations and test driving the car, they called me and told me that indeed the problem seemed to be the dampers upper mount plates but they will change the dampers in the fix process also just to be sure.
Today 09.02.2018 i took my car back and the clunking is gone, i test drove it like an half an hour and finally was quite no freaking clunking noise , they left my file opened until next week just in case but i think it's fixed, knock on wood.
So if you experience this kind of noise you might have the same problem as me, google "honda suspension clunking noise over small bumps " for more details.I will post the bill also with the parts they changed when they will close my file.
Feel free to ask me any question you have.
Thanks

·
Registered
973 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to do the write up.

So they isolated the damper plate and both sides coincidentally had the same issue? Did they say whether it was incorrectly installed, came loose, or parts failed?

·
Administrator
3,297 Posts
Given that dampers/struts/shocks should always be replaced in pairs, replacing both is the correct protocol.

·
Registered
341 Posts
good to here, I think mine has it sometime as well but only seems to happen when it's real cold out. So I haven't been worried about it but will keep this in mind.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for taking the time to do the write up.

So they isolated the damper plate and both sides coincidentally had the same issue? Did they say whether it was incorrectly installed, came loose, or parts failed?
They didn't say what was the cause of this but i will ask them when they will call me for un update, i still think is a design problem of the new suspension from the info and complains i found on Honda/Acura forums.
Now i remembered the delaer called those top mounting plates " HAT PLATES" might be the ones highlighted in this picture?? i will confirm this when i will have the bill
Capture.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since this is a new global platform used in Civic, Accord and CR-V makes sense to find the exact same suspension problem in all these models, who knows maybe they are using the same old strut in the new design since i found 2010-2016 year Honda models with the same clunking problem over small bumps.

·
Administrator
3,297 Posts
The top plates are the highlit part. If that is wrong or incorrectly aligned with the tower, noises result.
I think your dealer and his mechanic is a keeper.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
**UPDATE**
Today after 1 hour of city driving on small roads full of small bumps,potholes the clunking is back on the passenger side, not as bad as it was before but it's back.
Sooo i am courios now what they will be up to, i am also a bit frustrated because i have to pay a rental every time they have my car, it's start to look like a witch hunt now.
I will keep you posted on this.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just received my 17 Touring back from having the left front strut replaced (at 39k miles). I had a metallic rattle coming from the bulkhead area which was worse and more persistent the colder it was outside. I have driven it all weekend and the noise/rattle is gone.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today i called the dealer to give them the update and they don't know what else to try next,they told me they have to call Honda Canada and see if they have any suggestion what to do next since this is all warranty work payed by Honda and they don't have any TSB about this problem.Sooo apparently i am out of luck, my next step is to call Honda Canada and see from there if the dealer will just put me on hold until further information, maybe putting pressure on Honda customer satisfaction will help,for sure i will not accept this "clunk noise" as normal no matter what.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
**UPDATE**
Today after 1 hour of city driving on small roads full of small bumps,potholes the clunking is back on the passenger side, not as bad as it was before but it's back.
Sooo i am courios now what they will be up to, i am also a bit frustrated because i have to pay a rental every time they have my car, it's start to look like a witch hunt now.
I will keep you posted on this.

Complain and tel them you want a courtesy vehicle and open a honda ticket

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just received my 17 Touring back from having the left front strut replaced (at 39k miles). I had a metallic rattle coming from the bulkhead area which was worse and more persistent the colder it was outside. I have driven it all weekend and the noise/rattle is gone.
I spoke to soon, it came back this morning with a vengeance (Temp was 24F)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yessss this is the clunck noise that drives me crazy, now the funny part on my car is today the driver side cluncked way more then the right side wich,before the dealer changed the parts, was cluncking only randomly, i end up with the same noise intensity on both sides now.But you know the good part is at list i know what's the problem and we might have a fix down the line.
I still didn't have any update from my dealer today :((

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
**UPDATE**

Talked with the dealer Friday regarding the suspension clunk noise and there is nothing they can do anymore, i just have to wait till Honda will come with a TSB, if they will.Also they did suggest to call Honda Canada and complain about this issue if i am not happy with my car, wich i will.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
**UPDATE**

Talked with the dealer Friday regarding the suspension clunk noise and there is nothing they can do anymore, i just have to wait till Honda will come with a TSB, if they will.Also they did suggest to call Honda Canada and complain about this issue if i am not happy with my car, wich i will.
Better yet...file a complaint with NHSTA
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

If enough people would complain about problems to the Government Agency the car mfg. will react.....

1 - 20 of 49 Posts