Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brakes are going to be done.

·
Banned
252 Posts
I do like your videos, but I have to ask why you went through all of that trouble to jack up the vehicle and remove the wheel just to inspect the outer brake pad? You do know that your car has invisible see-thru wheels, don't you?

Also, I'm thinking that you might have way over tightened 4 out of 5 of those lug nuts. Those nuts require 80 ft lbs of torque. I'm guessing you got them closer to 100 ft lbs. Over tightening can be hard on the lug bolts and might cause rotors to warp in some cases.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Mr. Fish, another great video, thanks. I think captainbeandip may have a valid point regarding the lug nuts. You are using a large star wrench and really cranking down.......lots of leverage on the lugs with that big star.?

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I took my time to listen I heard, what I needed to know. I took the time to make a video show a clear shot , you can clearly see that in a video through a wheel, you must be special. the amount of force. was not over tightning, I am more like spot on with the feel and that you knew from a video. you again are the man of the micro second.

Shocked you did not ask me the miles?

I laugh at the guessing games.... oh two birds with one stone no need to duplicate a post never insulted or making fun.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
100 ft lbs on a civic chassis is it still one ,Lol

·
Registered
343 Posts
As I took my time to listen I heard, what I needed to know. I took the time to make a video show a clear shot , you can clearly see that in a video through a wheel, you must be special. the amount of force. was not over tightning, I am more like spot on with the feel and that you knew from a video. you again are the man of the micro second.

Shocked you did not ask me the miles?

I laugh at the guessing games.... oh two birds with one stone no need to duplicate a post never insulted or making fun.
WTH ?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
Hey Fishy, HOW MANY MILES on the '17 CR-V? ?

I sympathized with you, huffin' and puffin' to offer-up the wheel to the hub. Don't think it's because you are getting older...wheels are getting larger and heavier! ?

Nobody could use a video camera through the wheels to see remaining pad thickness. Unless, of course, a high-definition Boroscope was used! So thanks for going through the effort to make that video for us.

·
Banned
252 Posts
I'm sorry for questioning why you had to take the wheel off.

I lost sight of the fact that you weren't doing this completely for yourself. You were making a video in order to help others.

Please accept my apologies and keep on doing what you do.

With that being said, I still think it would be a good idea to get yourself a torque wrench. If you're going through all of the trouble to show people how to do things, you might as well show them the right way.

Peace.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sorry for questioning why you had to take the wheel off.

I lost sight of the fact that you weren't doing this completely for yourself. You were making a video in order to help others.

Please accept my apologies and keep on doing what you do.

With that being said, I still think it would be a good idea to get yourself a torque wrench. If you're going through all of the trouble to show people how to do things, you might as well show them the right way.

Peace.
My Neighbor has one. I'll share his. Like said not insulted. no need to apologize. Funny how I need to explain it all, I be here for a year......

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Fishy, HOW MANY MILES on the '17 CR-V? ?

I sympathized with you, huffin' and puffin' to offer-up the wheel to the hub. Don't think it's because you are getting older...wheels are getting larger and heavier! ?

Nobody could use a video camera through the wheels to see remaining pad thickness. Unless, of course, a high-definition Boroscope was used! So thanks for going through the effort to make that video for us.
My back was out in ways, and like said that tire did not help, just dead weight Lol. think I'll get a camera's view from outside for them and they say I can not see the pads take the tire off, never win ....

The Miles Honestly I am not at the car to get the mileage , last time it was 26K -30K that is my guess to the 30K. two different drivers so they will wear down and due to the excess weight and turning. they got say 1K plus to 5K tops, best to do them now before the winter hits tomorrow! Lol thanks Carbuff2 for the support

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since you all like guessing, here is a perfect and prime example why I did what I did to show and tell you all. for those that think a POV camera has a better eye site , think again.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
If an owner is really determined to look at inner and outer pad thickness (in the case of screeching noises for example) you would need an inspection mirror incorporating a light. (Known as "Tool #1" for owners of our brand of sports car, LOL)

I bet that even someone as skilled as @fishycomics would have a difficult time juggling and aiming all that equipment to get a visible result. ?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I took our V in to the shop a while back to have the shifter button replaced. Picking the V up, the service writer hands me a piece of paper listing the items they checked/inspected while it was in their shop. One of the items listed as checked was brake pad thickness.......right down to the MM of each pad written down on paper.

I made a post here in the forum that I doubted they actually checked the pads (thickness) because there was no sign of wheels being removed. Man.......did I ever get chastised/critized for saying I didn't think wheels had been removed.

Again, Mr. Fish, great video and thanks.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I took our V in to the shop a while back to have the shifter button replaced. Picking the V up, the service writer hands me a piece of paper listing the items they checked/inspected while it was in their shop. One of the items listed as checked was brake pad thickness.......right down to the MM of each pad written down on paper.

I made a post here in the forum that I doubted they actually checked the pads (thickness) because there was no sign of wheels being removed. Man.......did I ever get chastised/critized for saying I didn't think wheels had been removed.

Again, Mr. Fish, great video and thanks.
As said above, they don't have to be removed to get a measurement. I usually just slip a small piece of paper in there to gauge the width. Harder to do on the inner pad but not impossible.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I'm with Fishy........my opinion, and Fishy's appear to be about the same. I seriously doubt an accurate to the MM measurement can be done without removing the wheel and simply told Fishy thanks. You've got your opinion, I've got mine........Fishy and me against the world, we're moving on.

Reactions: fishycomics

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

? ??????? ?? ???????? ?? ???????.

t to do that to for you?

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Difference between me and you is , at least I do my homework. And I can make a set up to without spenind all that dough.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pads are in Love ho one pack of malakyte 77 for the front and non for the rear. how they simply take out and resell.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
Roadster meant to say:
Pads are IN.

Love how one pack of MolyKote grease was supplied with the front pads, but none with the rear pads.

Somebody must have taken it out of the package before it was sold.

THIS TRANSLATION WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY: Carbuff2 ?
On break from today's session of the United Nations. :rolleyes::p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts