Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my wife a new 2017 CRV Lx two years ago. All of the sudden, sometimes but not always the car goes into a limp mode type of deal where the car will limit rpms at 3,000, and will start shaking and stuttering. If you pull over and kill the engine and restart it, it runs like a top until the next day. It has 46,000 miles so still has powertrain warranty. However, if this is a major issue I hate to take it to the dealer and them put a fat note on car fax about transmission problems and lose a ton of money if we decide to trade it in. Anyone having the same issue?

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,758 Posts
Not an obvious problem for any brand of car. Going to have to work through some possibilities. I'm guessing you have the 2.4 liter engine.
Are you getting any check engine lights when this happens?
Does this happen with recently refilled tank or mostly empty tank? Is the tank often run to close to empty before refilling? (thinking it may pick up dirt and choke the flow of fuel).
I'm also wondering if the battery may be weak and prematurely getting to the end of the typical life for a factory battery...(three years)

Reactions: Arone24

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
1. Are there any Check Engine Codes being stored? Usually has to be one to be in limp mode. Go to local auto parts store to check.
2. Have the battery checked?
3. How is the oil level?

Do you really have a choice? If you can't diagnose it yourself, then dealer is your best bet.

Don't drive it into the ground by not taking it in. If you do damage due to driving, the powertrain won't do anything. That's assuming it's even something covered by powertrain.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Also, this is a common battery problem this time of year when the seasons change; the temperature change is stressful for batteries and can cause a marginal battery to fail.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does have the 2.4. The check engine light blinks in succession with when the tach bounces on 3,000. I have a scanner I'm going to hook up and see if it spits out any codes tonight or tomorrow.

Fuel was my first thought as well. Until yesterday and today it had done it mainly when the tank was close to full. Today it did it when it was a little above half a tank

It did it initially a few months ago and never did it again until last week. Since then it has done it every couple of days. Yesterday was the first day I have witnessed it. It was at exactly 3,000 and she said it was the same every other time but I am guessing that's the norm for limp mode. I will also check the battery as temps here in the South have finally gotten lower at night.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. Are there any Check Engine Codes being stored? Usually has to be one to be in limp mode. Go to local auto parts store to check.
2. Have the battery checked?
3. How is the oil level?

Do you really have a choice? If you can't diagnose it yourself, then dealer is your best bet.

Don't drive it into the ground by not taking it in. If you do damage due to driving, the powertrain won't do anything. That's assuming it's even something covered by powertrain.
I guess our choices as stated above are take it in or trade it in. I thought posting here might help us decide. I'm going to check codes when I get in tonight. We haven't checked the battery yet, but seems to start fine. It's only been in service since Feb 2018 but I understand that could still be the problem since it was manufactured in 17. Oil level is fine. I appreciate all the help and info.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
If the CEL is blinking, you have a mis-fire, most likely a bad plug, pack, or wire; it happens, and it's usually an easy diagnosis and fix. You need to get this checked out immediately, as when this is happening unburned gas is getting dumped into your catalytic. In addition, the terms of the warranty require you to mitigate damage to the vehicle, and this includes taking it in for service when it goes crazy like this.

Carfax is not going to report a routine warranty repair. Trading a car in because it needed an in-warranty repair seems a bit of an overreaction.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I guess our choices as stated above are take it in or trade it in. I thought posting here might help us decide. I'm going to check codes when I get in tonight. We haven't checked the battery yet, but seems to start fine. It's only been in service since Feb 2018 but I understand that could still be the problem since it was manufactured in 17. Oil level is fine. I appreciate all the help and info.
The batteries seem to fail early more often than you'd think is reasonable, but I agree it doesn't seem like this is battery.

I agree, take it in and get it repaired under warranty. I'm guessing something on the fuel rail too. If you don't like the diagnosis or repair, hey you're already at the dealer...

I had bad gas that took two tanks and a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to clear. The symptom was different noise and a slight loss of power, but no cel/limp.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring
135 Posts
It does have the 2.4. The check engine light blinks in succession with when the tach bounces on 3,000. I have a scanner I'm going to hook up and see if it spits out any codes tonight or tomorrow.
To be brutally honest, it's silly not to have run a scan on the car the first time this happened - particularly since you own one. While a code isn't going to always point to the exact problem - weak batteries can manifest themselves in different ways - at least you can try to figure out if it's a transmission problem (overheating, etc.) or as suggested something related to a misfire.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
A blinking CEL is always a misfire. The cause of the misfire can vary of course, but it's definitely a misfire. It's not the transmission; there's a separate light for that.

I've had a blinking CEL before (different car), I can see why somebody might think that it was the transmission, as it felt like everything under the hood was about to shake apart.

What you should never do is actively drive with a blinking CEL; that's a "pull over to the side of the road and call a tow truck" sort of problem. It can plug your cat, or, in extreme conditions cause a fire as the cat combusts unburned fuel internally.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the first Honda I’ve had. The vehicles I’ve had in the past, the light would stay on or continue to blink after a misfire. This one only blinks when it bounces at 3,000. Restart the car and it runs fine until the next day or days after. I agree it is silly to have not scanned it yet but will do so tonight.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
When I had the blinking CEL on my last car, it was due to a bad wire in the coil pack harness. Like yours, it was intermittent, only showing up when cranking the car, and it went away with cranking it a second time.

The CEL didn't stay on, but it was still causing occasional (imperceptible) misfires one and two at a time, which showed up in the real-time engine performance monitors. (The dealership took care of all of it under warranty. From the service report, it looks like it took a while to narrow down; they tried the obvious of pack, plug, and injector, then borescoped the cyl., and lastly took a razor blade to the wiring loom sheath, and then finally found the fault in the wire, where it made a right-hand turn at the rear of the engine cover.)

I later had a coil pack fail and trigger a flashing CEL, and I think it also went away on a re-crank. Solved that one by shifting the coils around, and that time the misfire moved with the coil.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No trouble codes. Guess we will take it to the dealership tomorrow. Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Sheesh; I guess the next time it happens, see if you can capture a quick cell phone video, and refuse to accept it back until they find a problem.

The issue, of course, is that finding an intermittent problem takes time that the tech doesn't get paid much for as a warranty job.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Get a code reader yourself. 10-20 bucks and run the codes right after limp mode.

Or just put a dang dashcam and put it behind you to show them the issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Our 2017 CRV is the Touring model so it has the 1.5L engine, but the LX models had the 2.4L engine. But we also own a 2003 Accord with the 2.4L engine. We had a similar problem last year where the engine would go into the 3000 rpm limp mode. It ran fine as long as we kept it under 3000.rpm but would act kind of like it was running out of gas at 3000. I googled the problem back then and found that the engine has a device called a VTEC solenoid spool valve on the engine. This device operates by oil pressure to change the valve timing of the engine to produce more power over 3000 rpm..The solenoid has an oil pressure switch attached to it, and my google research suggested the switch was bad. I have a relatively inexpensive code reader from Amazon Prime and sure enough when I used it it found a code for the VTEC solenoid. I took a chance and bought a new switch, again from Amazon Prime. I replaced the switch myself and also replaced the small rubber gasket/filter on the solenoid as well because it was leaking some oil. It fixed the problem and the engine is running fine again. It was a bit of a challenge to replace because the solenoid is located on the back/top of the engine behind the valve cover. Had to lean/lay over the engine to get to it. I don't know for sure if the 2017 2.4L engine still has this VTEC solenoid but if it does it could be causing your problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After the dealer couldn't find anything yesterday, It spit out a code this morning for a misfire cylinder #3. Took the video and code to the dealer. They say it needs a valve adjustment. $450! and not covered under warranty.

I could be wrong but how could the valves be out of adjustment only on the initial start and be fine the rest of the day when I restart the car every single time.

The dealer also says the car isn't clearing the code itself. They think I cleared it using my scanner (it took pulling over twice to get a code at all this morning because the car cleared it before I could get the scanner hooked up).

It's pretty much doing the exact same thing you mentioned Honda 3x. Is fine up to 3,000 then spits and sputters.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
After the dealer couldn't find anything yesterday, It spit out a code this morning for a misfire cylinder #3. Took the video and code to the dealer. They say it needs a valve adjustment. $450! and not covered under warranty.

I could be wrong but how could the valves be out of adjustment only on the initial start and be fine the rest of the day when I restart the car every single time.

The dealer also says the car isn't clearing the code itself. They think I cleared it using my scanner (it took pulling over twice to get a code at all this morning because the car cleared it before I could get the scanner hooked up).

It's pretty much doing the exact same thing you mentioned Honda 3x. Is fine up to 3,000 then spits and sputters.
Time for a fight, this is absolutely a warranty issue and the other person hit the nail on the head, this could easily be a vvt issue.

How the hell did they know it was a valve adjustment problem? Did they actually check the spark plugs? Did they move the coil pack around to see if that was the issue?

I just want to know how they came to that conclusion because there are many other items it could be.

The thing that sucks is that you can't view misfires with a standard OBD2 reader I don't think. Misfires at initial startup worries me because that could be coked valves causing misfires. I would think changing spark plugs and coil pack would come in far before a valve adjustment.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.