·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery keeps going dead

Jumpstarted three times with Honda Roadside

Dealer charged and checked everything good yesterday

Drained again today

Is Honda doing anything or is this known issue?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,046 Posts
How old is your battery? Have you started having the battery jumped recently? Did Honda provide you with the results of their battery test or just tell you it's ok? Did Honda tell you what the current draw they measured while the car is parked?

·
Registered
448 Posts
There’s a TSB about parasitic draw. I had a dead battery after the CR-V sat a week at the airport. Jump started it and went to the dealer. They applied the TSB and no problems since.

They should have applied it instead of just charging the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Coincidentally the car died at the dealership when we left it for a oil change. Very surprised that the battery on a 3 year old car with 25K miles would do this. Went to costco and bought a battery.

·
Super Moderator
1,531 Posts
Very surprised that the battery on a 3 year old car with 25K miles would do this.
Many threads allude to this already, but plenty of early build 2017 vintage CR-V batteries seems to give up the ghost at around the 3 year mark, so its not completely out of the ordinary I'm afraid.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,686 Posts
There’s a TSB about parasitic draw. I had a dead battery after the CR-V sat a week at the airport. Jump started it and went to the dealer. They applied the TSB and no problems since.

They should have applied it instead of just charging the battery.

UNLESS their database showed them that the vehicle in question was NOT part of this particular TSB. The parasitic drain TSB was not applicable to all CRVs.. only a block range of VINs.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,686 Posts
Coincidentally the car died at the dealership when we left it for a oil change. Very surprised that the battery on a 3 year old car with 25K miles would do this. Went to costco and bought a battery.
Coincidentally.... this is not uncommon in modern motor vehicles any more. The days of turning off your vehicle and there being absolutely no drain on the battery are long gone. And let's be honest.. most owners never actually check and maintain their battery, which leads to faster death of the battery.

Many threads discussing this in the forum already, so I am not going to repeat advice given dozens of times already about proper battery monitoring and maintenance. Easy to find them with the search feature here if you are interested.

FACT: If you are not driving your Honda frequently, and for at least 20 minutes at a time.... your battery will be at some perpetual state of undercharge.. and a battery sitting below 95% charge begins to accelerate chemically induced death.

Note: Normal parasitic drain in a gen5 CRV when turned off and in low power mode ---> 30-50ma. If you do the math... that would deplete a fully charged and new battery in a gen5 CRV in ~ 30 days sitting. An older battery, especially one that has been discharged too low to start the CRV one or more times... will last even less.. as the plates are already damaged.. perhaps to the point of severely diminished charge capacity.

·
Registered
448 Posts
UNLESS their database showed them that the vehicle in question was NOT part of this particular TSB. The parasitic drain TSB was not applicable to all CRVs.. only a block range of VINs.
Mine wasn’t part of the included VINs and they applied the fix since it had the exact symptoms that the TSB covered.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was at my local dealer last weekend for an alignment after having new tires installed at Costco. Service writer comes out and says that my CR-V died on them 3 times while positioning it for the alignment, and that they are testing the battery. Once completed, the service writer told me that the battery tested ok. The next day, I go to the grocery store, and when going to leave, my CR-V is dead. I have owned it for about 2 years now, and haven't had any issues with the battery until now. I went to an Autozone, bought a new one, and installed it in the parking lot. Everything has been okay since.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've had my 2017 three years this month and of course I'm up at 5:55am to go grocery shopping as soon as the store opens at 6am. Jump in the CRV and hit the start button which resulted in the headlights flashing and every warning light on. Of course the battery was at the end of its life. The Honda parts guy said the new batteries they sell now are much improved over the original so we will see. Ironically last night the TV in our bedroom also died. Expensive week with a new TV, new battery, and new tires.

·
Registered
161 Posts
10mins later and the battery is changed. Every warning light known to man came on but a quick drive around the block cleared all the warnings and managed to retain my radio stations and also the power tailgate setting so it will not smash into the garage door when open.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Same!
This started happening out of nowhere. Autozone said battery was good. Honda said battery was good.
My dad's friend tested it with his machine. He said the battery was bad.
Switched to a battery from Autozone, against their advice.
Car hasn't had any problems in 6 months now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts