Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

There’s no denying it; trucks are getting softer, but that’s not such a bad thing.

Don’t get me wrong, I love old pickup trucks, but those seriously yearning for the days of grandad’s three-on-the-tree Chevy are blinded by nostalgia, as today’s crop of pickup trucks are more comfortable and capable than ever before. In fact, from behind the wheel, modern trucks are beginning to feel more like large crossovers, and none more so than the Honda Ridgeline.

Honda’s small pickup is returning to the market in 2016 after taking a short hiatus, with many of the essentials staying the same as the previous generation truck. The Ridgeline continues to be a unibody vehicle riding on fully independent suspension, packing a bed that features a trunk and dual-hinged tailgate.

But Honda knew that its small truck needed a big makeover, and the first big change is immediately apparent; the Ridgeline now looks more like a traditional pickup. Though the original truck has its oddball charm, the large buttresses connecting the cab and box give it a pseudo-truck appearance. Honda even says that most of the Ridgeline’s conquest buyers don’t come from other pickups — they come from crossovers and SUVs, driving home the point that not many folks were cross shopping the Ridgeline with trucks like the Toyota Tacoma.

Read more about the 2017 Honda Ridgeline Review at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I enjoyed three Ridgelines before trading my last one for a CR-V a month ago. While trading the CR-V for a 2017 Ridgeline isn't out of the question, it is rather unlikely due to the seat-mounted, flip-down armrests Honda decided to "downgrade" to for the 2017. I need a full-size, console-mounted armrest. The softer look of the 2017 is polarizing (as is the styling of the first-generation Ridgeline), but the updated electronics are extremely welcome. This was my primary complaint with my previous Ridgelines.

·
Super Moderator
3,194 Posts
I've seen the Ridgeline and predict it's going to be much more popular than the old design.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I'd like to see it in person. Right now I absolutely hate the design. It has a bunch of cool features though, but it wouldn't be enough for me to buy one. I'd just go buy a Tacoma, Colorado, Silverado, or F-150 instead.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'd like to see it in person. Right now I absolutely hate the design. It has a bunch of cool features though, but it wouldn't be enough for me to buy one. I'd just go buy a Tacoma, Colorado, Silverado, or F-150 instead.
Silverado and F-150 won't fit in my garage and are pretty thirsty. Tacoma is tough, old-school truck and it rides and sounds like it. The Colorado comes closer to the Ridgeline, but is smaller inside and can't match the Ridgeline's technology, ride, and handling.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think more tonneau covers will fit the newer one, which could be a bonus. Rims are ugly, but I really don't care that much. I care more about function.
Good air conditioning, AWD, good steering, comfortable seats (for long drives) and backup camera (to make sure the damn dogs are out of the way) are what I need.

Oh, and the trunk. I almost forgot the trunk. It was one of the main selling points for me. It is extremely useful in my Ridgeline. Right now I've got a Ridgeline and a CR-V-- both 2013s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts