Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a thread with known or suspected issues to date? I'm reading the forum but it's already a lot to read!

I've had my CR-V 30 days now. I'm not real "car aware" compared to my spouse, and might miss something, so I think I'd like to have a list of what to watch for. Is it even possible to make a list?

So far I've seen:

Soft plastic over speedometer scratching:
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/138306-scratches-speedometer-plexi.html

All warnings go off and losing drivability (electronics?):
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/135513-2017-crv-reporting-problems-multiple-electrical-systems-while-driving.html

Deformed vent on dashboard:
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/143122-airvent-starting-get-deformed-winshield.html

Failure to dim the center display screen?:
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/131289-touring-center-display-screen-wont-dim-2.html

Honda Sensing failing on Very Sunny Days:
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/143865-honda-sensing-failing-very-sunny-days.html

Driver seat foam displaced:
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/137-2017-present-official-specs-features-etc-gen-5/130089-driver-seat-foam-displaced.html

But I haven't read anywhere near all the posts going back to introduction.

I know all issues brought here are not problems -- some are new owners like me trying to get used to the car, or needing to set it up right to begin with. (My Bluetooth was dropping out continuously; fixed that.)

But to those who have been reading since the car's introduction, is someone keeping a "bugs list" who would be willing to share it? If there's already a thread, could someone point me to it? Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I should clarify that I mainly want to know of problems I need to watch out for.

Just read a new thread -- the ACC/LKAS not working in foggy weather? But as there seems to be an easy solution (don't use the ACC/LKAS system in certain weather), I don't have to watch for warranty service or be worried about it bothering me. Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
16 Posts
Kick to open tailgate only works intermittently.

I have to move my foot around several different ways / times to get mine to open. Don't know if this is something others have experienced.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hello,
This is not an issue with the sensors. There is a certain way that you have to move your foot in order to activate it. Imagin the CRV is a football and try to kick it up from underneath slowly with the tip of your shoe. Aim for the centre of the bumper. Do it once and put your foot back down on the ground. The hatch should open momentarily. Let us know if this helps.

Kick to open tailgate only works intermittently.

I have to move my foot around several different ways / times to get mine to open. Don't know if this is something others have experienced.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The Head Unit is my only gripe. I hope they offer a firmware update to fix lockup's .. My Fix is to reboot the HU once a week and life's good. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Head Unit is my only gripe. I hope they offer a firmware update to fix lockup's .. My Fix is to reboot the HU once a week and life's good. :)
I had to do "System Reset" today as my HU was telling me it's unable to connect to smartphone. I tried to uninstall AA and reinstall, but still did not fix the issue. Is there a quicker way to do reset / reboot instead of going to System Menu?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Looking at used oil analyses at Bobistheoilguy.com, the 1.5T engine in the Civic, which is essentially the same as used in 2017 EX and Touring CRVs, seems to dilute engine oil with fuel prodigiously. While not unheard of in turbocharged direct injection engines, the Honda 1.5 seems to be a much bigger offender than similar engines from other makes.

Fuel dilution of engine oil is a problem as it reduces the oil's viscosity and, of course, gasoline is not much of a lubricant. Attempts by Civic owners to get Honda to address and resolve this problem have been unsuccessful.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Looking at used oil analyses at Bobistheoilguy.com, the 1.5T engine in the Civic, which is essentially the same as used in 2017 EX and Touring CRVs, seems to dilute engine oil with fuel prodigiously. While not unheard of in turbocharged direct injection engines, the Honda 1.5 seems to be a much bigger offender than similar engines from other makes.

Fuel dilution of engine oil is a problem as it reduces the oil's viscosity and, of course, gasoline is not much of a lubricant. Attempts by Civic owners to get Honda to address and resolve this problem have been unsuccessful.
Can you post a link to the page on that site? Honda knows a thing or two about building engines that are nearly bullet proof... It's what they built their reputation on... So I find it unlikely that they didn't take fuel dilution into account.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Isn't the CR-V engine different from the Civic? I thought there was a thread on this.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Can you post a link to the page on that site? Honda knows a thing or two about building engines that are nearly bullet proof... It's what they built their reputation on... So I find it unlikely that they didn't take fuel dilution into account.
Hard to post links using my tablet, but go to bobistheoilguy.com and then to "forums". One of the forums is "used oil analysis" and on the first page are two threads dealing with 1.5T Civics.

On of the posters noted a substantial increase in crankcase level over the winter, presumably from gasoline entering the sump. I agree Honda has a good reputation, but they are chasing fuel economy targets like others and have to walk a fine line between economy and durability. Maybe they have this right, but the examples are pretty worrisome and if I owned one I sure would be on a more-frequent oil change regimen than suggested by the Maintenance Minder.

I own a 2015 CRV so am not in the new car market. But if I were I would stay away from this engine until its durability was proven in real-world conditions.

And, Honda's rep notwithstanding, car makers make mistakes: GM recently reprogrammed its oil life monitors in some DI V-6s because fuel dilution was causing premature timing changing wear. And Ford has done a lot with its V-6 EcoBoosts to reduce fuel dilution noted by owners. (VW/Audi, Hyundai/Kia, Toyota, Subaru, etc. have their own experience with engines behaving differently than expected and don't forget Honda's ongoing VTC rattle and oil consumption issues.)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hard to post links using my tablet, but go to bobistheoilguy.com and then to "forums". One of the forums is "used oil analysis" and on the first page are two threads dealing with 1.5T Civics.

On of the posters noted a substantial increase in crankcase level over the winter, presumably from gasoline entering the sump. I agree Honda has a good reputation, but they are chasing fuel economy targets like others and have to walk a fine line between economy and durability. Maybe they have this right, but the examples are pretty worrisome and if I owned one I sure would be on a more-frequent oil change regimen than suggested by the Maintenance Minder.

I own a 2015 CRV so am not in the new car market. But if I were I would stay away from this engine until its durability was proven in real-world conditions.

And, Honda's rep notwithstanding, car makers make mistakes: GM recently reprogrammed its oil life monitors in some DI V-6s because fuel dilution was causing premature timing changing wear. And Ford has done a lot with its V-6 EcoBoosts to reduce fuel dilution noted by owners. (VW/Audi, Hyundai/Kia, Toyota, Subaru, etc. have their own experience with engines behaving differently than expected and don't forget Honda's ongoing VTC rattle and oil consumption issues.)
I for one am not too concerned. I have a long warranty on the drivetrain and if something does go bad with the drive train, there will be a recall, not to mention some major headlines that I have not seen with the civic as of yet. As for me I live in a hot climate, and change every five years. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over this. I will change my oil more often then I need to just out of common sense.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I for one am not too concerned. I have a long warranty on the drivetrain and if something does go bad with the drive train, there will be a recall, not to mention some major headlines that I have not seen with the civic as of yet. As for me I live in a hot climate, and change every five years. I'm not gonna lose any sleep over this. I will change my oil more often then I need to just out of common sense.
If you have one, that's a sensible position. But keep in mind this thread was started by car shoppers to identify real or potential issues with the 2017 CRV. To me, the fuel dilution issue is potentially a very significant one. Certainly more so than scratched instrument panel bezels...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Certainly more so than scratched instrument panel bezels...
This gave me a good chuckle... It makes me smile that the most hotly debated threads are about scratched instrument panels and whether or not your wasting your money by using a higher octane fuel.

If you have one, that's a sensible position. But keep in mind this thread was started by car shoppers to identify real or potential issues with the 2017 CRV. To me, the fuel dilution issue is potentially a very significant one.
That's perfectly fine... don't buy one... or wait until more time has passed... It's your choice, but just because this thread was started by shoppers doesn't mean that those of us who have already purchased one can't weigh in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts