Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a CR-V and less than 24 hrs after driving it home, the electronic brain for the power steering went haywire--luckily it was under warranty. They fixed it in 2 days. However, my trust in this car has gone way downhill. Can you imagine purchasing a new car and then it does this right away?!? Anyway, the mechanics told me that there was an "alert" sent to Honda dealership for this error that I was told was common in a certain set of VIN numbers, although he said my VIN number was just outside of that set, and it did it anyway.

I went in and purchased the 10 yr extra warranty just in case. This is my first Honda. The toyota guy was offering the equivalent vehicle (RAV4 except it had a panoramic roof) for $1,600 less, and now I'm wondering if I made the right choice.

Wondering if anyone else had this "power steering electronic brain" issue on their 2017?

·
Registered
833 Posts
So I bought a CR-V and less than 24 hrs after driving it home, the electronic brain for the power steering went haywire--luckily it was under warranty. They fixed it in 2 days. However, my trust in this car has gone way downhill. Can you imagine purchasing a new car and then it does this right away?!? Anyway, the mechanics told me that there was an "alert" sent to Honda dealership for this error that I was told was common in a certain set of VIN numbers, although he said my VIN number was just outside of that set, and it did it anyway.

I went in and purchased the 10 yr extra warranty just in case. This is my first Honda. The toyota guy was offering the equivalent vehicle (RAV4 except it had a panoramic roof) for $1,600 less, and now I'm wondering if I made the right choice.

Wondering if anyone else had this "power steering electronic brain" issue on their 2017?
What were the symptoms? Also check the TSB sticky...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Fitzie, can you take a picture of the work ticket they gave you after they fixed your vehicle, It should have some useful details such as the Tech Service Bulletin #.

·
Super Moderator
3,278 Posts
10 year?
Hondacare is the only warranty worth trusting when the need comes. Unless Honda has changed it 8 years is as long as it goes.
Electronics if they are going to fail tend to do it immediately as you found out.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts

I doubt you would be any better off with the Toyota. My brother has a body shop and recently repaired a new Camry that had an impact to the wheel. After they replaced the steering rack, the PS would not work. The computer malfunctioned and the new computer was almost $1,500.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Many production facilities lack stringent quality checking procedure. Many plants make deals with politically influenced workshops, hence the VIN specific problems.
Sounds like you're referring to a non-mainstream brand. I don't know what part of the world you're in, but in the US there are strict guidelines. Honda, especially, has one of the best quality reputations in the auto industry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts