Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my 2017 EX-L and so far I love it. When I picked it up the Honda booklet folder didn't have a card with the radio code like all my previous hondas. I asked the dealer but since the service department was closed when I picked it up no one could answer me. Does the 2017 have a radio code or is it no longer necessary?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I spoke with someone at Honda about this and was told there are no radio codes for the 2017 CR-V.... but the guy on the phone said he really wasn't completely sure. So there probably isn't a code, but I'd also like to know for sure...

·
Registered
219 Posts
No, there is no code required for these systems. If you lose power, the system will go into a special startup mode and instruct you to hold the power button down for a few seconds to restart the system and that's it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Actually there is a code, its the VIN. Its broadcast from the ECM to the rest of the systems. If you were to swap a radio from another vehicle into yours it wouldn't work without some special magic done by a dealer to reset this.

·
Registered
78 Posts
While trying to figure out why the garmin traffic on my head unit wasn't working, I reset the head unit and after that it needed a pin code for the head unit to work again. I went to the nearest dealership for help and they tried 0000 which of course didn't work. They said only the selling dealership will have the code for the head unit. So I called up the selling dealership and they gave me a 5 digit code which I put in and it worked.

Here is a picture of the code input screen

·
Registered
141 Posts
While trying to figure out why the garmin traffic on my head unit wasn't working, I reset the head unit and after that it needed a pin code for the head unit to work again. I went to the nearest dealership for help and they tried 0000 which of course didn't work. They said only the selling dealership will have the code for the head unit. So I called up the selling dealership and they gave me a 5 digit code which I put in and it worked.
Good to know! Thank you for this info! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too have a 2017 CRV I bought used and it is right now sitting at the enter code screen. It is true after pulling the battery cable it will say to hold the power button but after this it wants a code. I will get a pic today. The dealer is stumped as they say there are no codes anymore, just hold the power button.

·
Registered
603 Posts
From my understanding the radio won't ask for a code if it's in the same vehicle as it had the vin programmed in. If you move it to a new car or get a new radio you will have to get a code from the dealer

·
Registered
15 Posts
OK, here is what happens when I start the CRV. Knows it has lost power, says to hold power button. After that it wants a code. I entered 0000 and you see the result. Dealer says Honda says there is no code... So, I have no screen...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,052 Posts

Here is a picture of the code input screen
Did the code have any relationship to your vehicles VIN?
I am thinking the last 5 digits maybe.

Rob

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here's the weird thing the first time when it asked me for a code, I tried everything and the radio didn't work for most of the day until the dealership gave me a code and I input it in and it worked. This is with the original head unit. A few months later I got my head unit replaced because of the non working Garmin traffic update. And for some reason a few times the head unit would just freeze and reboot on it's own and it asked me for a code. Of course I don't have a code for the replacement head unit so on the code input screen, I just press the power button for about 10 seconds or so till the head unit reboot and it worked without putting in a code. I tried that with my original head unit and it didn't work but for some reason it worked on the replacement head unit. So give that a try and see if it works for you.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Honda finally caught up with where domestic cars were in the 1990's. What happens is the parts are installed in the car. On the first power up at the factory the ECM broadcasts the vehicle identification number (VIN). the units in the car receive this and record it. Those units, like the radio, will now only want to work when they see that original VIN on the network. Should anyone steal the radio and try to use it in another car, it won't work.

Now, your may have seen a code (but I can not swear to it one way or another). Some, if not most, vehicles will have a method to clear out the original VIN code. This is used whan a radio is warranties out of the car and reman'ed, or we swap a radio out. It gives he tech with the proper tools a way to clear out the old VIN and then let the car put in a new one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I tried both suggestions yesterday. I tried entering the last 5 of VIN, failed. I then tried holding the power button for 20-30 sec.s at the "enter security code"screen. It would in 2-3 seconds beep 3 times and fall back to the warning screen saying Anti Theft, a security code needs entered. I tired holding the power button there 20-30 secs, same result. dealer wants the car back for the day...

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
Why on earth would you use the last four digits or any digits of a vin when its plastered all over the car, oh so I do not forget. ....

Love to know if somewhere else on the car they stuck the code, for example on the radio ????

·
Registered
603 Posts
I don't have the answer about the radio code, but here is some related info

You can go into diagnostics (phone, brightness, power buttons) and then go down to Functional Setup and under Anti-Theft Skip you can turn off the anti-theft for 150 seconds. There is a screen under Vechicle Status that shows the VIN in the radio and the VIN in the car. You want those to match. I saw a place to manually input it under those screens but I don't know if that would work..if it did, that would be a big security hole. Anyway the dealer ought to be able to reprogram the radio so they match. And supposedly if they match it won't ask for a radio code. But if they match and it still asks for radio code, then I have no idea. You would think the dealer would know this stuff!

According to Honda's docs, the anti-theft protection kicks in where you disconnect the battery, remove the audio unit from the 24 pin connector, or remove any fuse on the +B line. It says when you turn on the car press and hold the radio power button for at least 2 seconds. If it doesn't work, turn the car off and back on, and try again for a few times. Or enter the 5 digit anti-theft code. If you fail the code for 10 times, it locks out for 60 minutes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
phareous, good info. I was able to get into these diagnostics. Indeed the section Vehicle status shows the registered VIN as mine that matches the door post sticker but the received VIN was an abbreviated number, so that is my issue. I could not however find any place to manually enter it. If you can find that, please let me know. I have not been able to drive for over 2 weeks because I had retina detachment surgery so I have been slow to action here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.