Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I’m currently changing my rear brake pads in my EXL. I’m struggling to get the cylinder back into place so I can place it over the new brakes pads.
Any tips on how to do this? We tried pressing them back into place with a large pliers but there is no give.

thanks,
Pat

·
Everything in Moderation
8,064 Posts
Best practice is to use a caliper retracting tool. I bet they have loaners at auto parts stores. The tools retract the caliper squarely.

Another strategy is to crack open the brake bleeder to release some of the fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best practice is to use a caliper retracting tool. I bet they have loaners at auto parts stores. The tools retract the caliper squarely.

Another strategy is to crack open the brake bleeder to release some of the fluid.
Thanks, we ended up cracking the bleeder and taking that route.

Is there anyway to reset the error code on the car? We have an OBD2 scanner but that doesn't seem to do the trick, maintenance minder reset didn't help either.

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you don't have a caliper retracting tool, you can use a socket that fits inside the caliper and a large C clamp to evenly press it back in. In order to reset the error code if your scanner doesn't do it, try heading to a local auto parts store and see if they can reset it with theirs.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,064 Posts
Is there anyway to reset the error code on the car? We have an OBD2 scanner but that doesn't seem to do the trick, maintenance minder reset didn't help either.
You didn't mention a code. What are you seeing?

Basic scanners often don't reset ABS codes if its one of those.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You didn't mention a code. What are you seeing?

Basic scanners often don't reset ABS codes if its one of those.
Yes unfortunately they appeared after we had buttoned everything up and did a small test drive.
its mostly errors around sensors, the lane assist is off, adaptive cruise control, brake system check etc.

We did unplug the battery for 5min and still have the errors. Found some stuff saying that we just need to drive the car for a bit and it’ll restart, otherwise if that doesn’t work for a little while we’ll try to reset codes with the OBD2.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Hi all,

I’m currently changing my rear brake pads in my EXL. I’m struggling to get the cylinder back into place so I can place it over the new brakes pads.
Any tips on how to do this? We tried pressing them back into place with a large pliers but there is no give.

thanks,
Pat
The electronic parking brake is part of the caliper. It is a gear motor and must be retracted by use of a scan tool to issue the command to fully retract. The other method is to unplug the electrical connector to the motor and apply 12 volts to the two electrical pins on the caliper. Reverse the polarity if the piston extends instead of retracts. Once the gear motor fully retracts you can easily push the piston back. However I highly recommend using a scan.
Note, that forcing the piston without retracting the gear motor will damage it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The codes may go away (no CEL) after several drive cycles.
Yes they did.

So in summary, we replaced all brakes and had to flush the brake lines because there ended up being too much fluid in the calipers to retract the cylinder back into the housing to put it back on the rotor.

Then after we buttoned everything up, we drove it for ~2 miles and all of the error codes went away. The "Driver System" had finished initializing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts