Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Honda CR-V Touring
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I know many old treads covered similar question, but couldn't find an exact answer.

Did anyone put 255 55 18 on a stock 18" rims, I have done something similar in the past with another brand. I am not concerned with the tire overall size, but the stock rim to make sure no issues from that front.

I have 2 sets of rims, I painted one black and wanting to add an All Terrain tires.

Thanks!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs
Automotive tire Light Tread Synthetic rubber Rim
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L
220 Posts
the following is pretty typical of the tables you'll find specifying rim width and allowable tire width:

The 1st column is minimum allow, 2nd is recommended, 3rd is max

6,5 Inches185 mm195 or 205 mm215 mm
7,0 Inches195 mm205 or 215 mm225 mm
7,5 Inches205 mm215 or 225 mm235 mm
8,0 Inches215 mm225 or 235 mm245 mm
8,5 Inches225 mm235 or 245 mm255 mm

So you can see that what you're wanting to do isn't recommended. But, Honda oem vehicles don't adhere to these recommendations either, so there's that. In your case though, you'd be using a width tire vs rim width that's even greater than what Honda does.

In Honda's case, for the early gen4, they used a 6.5 width rim with 225 tires. Not a massive deviation from the table. In your case it would be another plus size diff than what Honda does.

What does it matter? Most importantly would the tire rub? I don't think so, pretty sure some users have indicated they've put on 255's. The smaller profile will def be a smaller circumference, but you indicate you don't care about that. Then really all that's left is that the tires will definitely have a 'pinched' look to them. That's common to see on pickup trucks (older ones), but newer vehicle / and even trucks are moving towards a more flush look.

Lastly, on this website it gives you the diff between the two sizes, and resulting speedo diff, and they are virtually identical, no diff.

good luck with it, cheers

·
Registered
2017 Honda CR-V Touring
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's exactly what I was looking for, THANK YOU!

With the OEM rims 7.5 width, the 255 are too wide. I don't think buying new rims is a smart financial decision, so I will stick with the 235s in all terrain since I live in the country side.

Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts