Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I consistently averag 29-31 mpg in normal driving - a mix of mostly around town with some highway driving. I noticed the mileage seemed to drop when I engaged ECON. Last fill-up, I turned ECON on and my mileage dropped to just over 25mpg.
I do noticed much reduced throttle response in ECON, as I would expect.
I'm thinking my car has some quirky electronic defect that results in this illogical performance.
My best mileage: 37.4mpg was achieved on a mostly highway drive of about 100 miles in hilly Central PA - with ECON off and cruising at the speed limit.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,545 Posts
If you expect equal performance with ECON on, you may be instinctively mashing the gas pedal harder to compensate.

As for a 'quirky electronic defect', I doubt it. Other owners have reported little or no difference between ECON and normal modes. Others see a nice improvement. The acronym, YMMV, applies here.

Of course, it takes more than one tankful to reach any meaningful conclusion.

·
Registered
93 Posts
What does the Econ mode do exactly? Is it documented as to all the exact changes made such as throttle remap and/or air conditioning strength, what else?

·
Registered
196 Posts
What does the Econ mode do exactly? Is it documented as to all the exact changes made such as throttle remap and/or air conditioning strength, what else?
a pretty green light if your fuel economy is good... kind trains the driver to ease of the gas pedal.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't run my TV, Home Theater Receiver on economy.
I also would not run my car that way either.
I guess I'm just a Planet Polluter---Haha.
I want Power in these.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,545 Posts
Obviously if Honda could have made the cars more fuel-efficient without sacrificing things like A/C effectiveness and acceleration, they would have put it on ALL the vehicles, and saved the price of developing the software (not to mention that expen$ive button). :p

Here's what a quick Google found:

[h=3]How Does Eco Mode Work?[/h] When you press the Eco button to activate Eco mode, your car will adjust its behavior in a few different ways, all meant to improve gas mileage and help you drive more efficiently:

• Gentler throttle – When you press the gas pedal, the throttle will open more slowly in order to use less gas.
  • More efficient shifting pattern – In vehicles with an automatic transmission, the car will shift into higher gears sooner than in normal driving mode. In models with a manual transmission, activating Eco mode will make the vehicle’s display screen indicate when to shift gears for maximum efficiency.
  • More efficient air conditioning – In Eco mode, your car will save on power by limiting how long the air conditioner will run.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Obviously if Honda could have made the cars more fuel-efficient without sacrificing things like A/C effectiveness and acceleration, they would have put it on ALL the vehicles, and saved the price of developing the software (not to mention that expen$ive button). :p

Here's what a quick Google found:
So this makes me feel like ECON mode will definitely help with the fuel economy... how can all these people be wrong?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,545 Posts
Depends on driving conditions (cruising or city, or hot weather or cool weather).

As I said, if a driver demands a certain performance, they may not see a significant benefit. In the OP's case, monitoring the MPG for a few tankfuls may change his mind.

AGAIN, "Your Mileage May Vary" (YMMV).

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you expect equal performance with ECON on, you may be instinctively mashing the gas pedal harder to compensate.

As for a 'quirky electronic defect', I doubt it. Other owners have reported little or no difference between ECON and normal modes. Others see a nice improvement. The acronym, YMMV, applies here.

Of course, it takes more than one tankful to reach any meaningful conclusion.
That has been my experience. With ECON on I tend to drive the car harder and it negates the ECON savings. Plus my wife insists on cool air blowing on her every second she is in the car. Truthfully, I get the just as good mileage with the ECON off. It may be useful on a moderate temperature day on a highway trip, otherwise the ECON button is just a decoration in my car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I consistently averag 29-31 mpg in normal driving - a mix of mostly around town with some highway driving. I noticed the mileage seemed to drop when I engaged ECON. Last fill-up, I turned ECON on and my mileage dropped to just over 25mpg.
I do noticed much reduced throttle response in ECON, as I would expect.
I'm thinking my car has some quirky electronic defect that results in this illogical performance.
My best mileage: 37.4mpg was achieved on a mostly highway drive of about 100 miles in hilly Central PA - with ECON off and cruising at the speed limit.
I don't live far from you, Donedwards, but my experience with Econ mode in central Pennsylvania is that it's worthless. The hills that we go up and down, especially on the interstate gives me no advantage whatsoever.

I find Econ mode is dangerous on the interstate; leaving the car on cruise control while climbing even the slightest grade slows the car down by about 4-5 mph. When an 18-wheeler is following you I certainly don't want to slow down on a hill. Otherwise, the 18-wheeler will be pushing me up the hill. With Econ off, no problem...the car maintains its speed.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
We experimented with ECON when we first got our CR-V. We made three trips to/from OC to San Diego that week as it turned out. The ECON didn't do much for us, and we didn't enjoy the un-Honda like performance around town much either. I can't really remember the last time it was 'ON'.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts