Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed tonight that my 2017 Touring AWD makes a small whining sound while idling (after the car is at normal operating temperature), as soon as I press on the gas pedal it seems to go away. It's like a whistle. Is this a turbo thing? Seems a bit strange and I'm hoping its not an actual issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Were you able to hear the cricket-like whistle-like sound? The tapping makes sense, I'm concerned about the chirpy stuff. Takes a bit of re-playing to distinguish the sound.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I was able to hear the sound. Nothing whatsoever about that audio concerned me. In the next couple days if I remember I'll open my hood and listen, but frankly it just isn't anything I'd worry about. Could be normal wastgate/diaphram kind of noise. Could be injectors. Could be a belt idler. So long as it isn't audible inside the cockpit to me it was pretty much no different than many different sounds I've heard.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was able to hear the sound. Nothing whatsoever about that audio concerned me. In the next couple days if I remember I'll open my hood and listen, but frankly it just isn't anything I'd worry about. Could be normal wastgate/diaphram kind of noise. Could be injectors. Could be a belt idler. So long as it isn't audible inside the cockpit to me it was pretty much no different than many different sounds I've heard.
You're probably right. Doesn't sound like an issue. Let me know if you hear anything when you check yours. It's odd, today I didn't hear anything in mine, not sure what the variables might be that cause it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello garoto. I read your forum and I'm having the same issue. This started 200miles in on a brand new CR-V 2017. Same cricket noise. I haven't fully bought the car so I took it to the service and had them look at it and he kept saying it's the turbo engine but it just doesn't sound right. And crickets. That noise is very annoying. I've seen post in the past from an owner of 2015 that had to replace fuel injectors for the noise to go away. The car is amazing. Now if I can just get rid of this noise. I will be very satisfied. What did you do if anything at all garoto. Did it just spontaneously go away?? My car is brand new so I'm so lost. Idk why it's doing this. Help me please.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your know, I actually think it's a normal sound. I don't think it's the Turbo but it doesn't sound as abnormal as I originally thought. It comes and goes and that makes it feel systemic in nature. It tends to come after a drive. And go away after idling for about 5 minutes or so.

I didn't take it to the dealer and I don't think I will unless it becomes a real problem. The car drives like a dream. The sound disappears as soon as you tap the gas. Can hardly if at all be heard inside the cockpit. If it was a sound that would get louder as you accelerate or something like that then it would point to a bearing issue or something.

Currently, to me it just feels like air flowing through hoses or other things.

My 06 Si when new had a horrible noise that you could swear came from the idler pulley. The noise was horrible, terrible, almost unbearable. Dealers were replacing bearings and pulleys left and right and the problem would come back. Three years later Honda had enough and looked into it. It turned out to be one of the hoses and how the fluids flow through it, when the noise is happening if you press against the hose it went away. Suddenly it stopped mattering to everyone.

I know or another CR-V Touring that makes the noise. I will say enjoy your car, it really truly is nothing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the input. The car is a dream. But I hear the whistle inside the cockpit and it gets louder when I accelerate. And goes away at higher speeds. That's why it's a concern to me. I have no idea what to do.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input. The car is a dream. But I hear the whistle inside the cockpit and it gets louder when I accelerate. And goes away at higher speeds. That's why it's a concern to me. I have no idea what to do.
Hmmm. It sounds like yours is different than what I'm hearing? Are you able to record the sound and share?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As an update, these "crickets" chirping sound haven't changed and it's kinda bothering me. Same symptoms, during idle, doesn't happen while accelerating or driving, goes away while idling after about 5 minutes. Anyone else? S2k guy?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So it is all but confirmed that this issue is with the High Pressure Fuel Pump assembly. The cylinder head acts as "speakers" transmitting the noise from within the pump out to anything metal that's connected to the cylinder head, including screws. I was able to confirm this behavior through a PDF study about direct injection and a stethoscope to confirm that this device is the culprit.

I've driven a couple of Turbo '17 CR-Vs to compare this issue, and all other copies don't seem to have the issue.

Is it an isolated incident with my car? Maybe.

However, this issue is not isolated to me:
See Acura TSB 16-008 - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10084259-2280.pdf
Scion FR-S / Subaru BR-Z TSB S-SB-0023-12

See Acura MDX Video here: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/123273-tsb-16-008-chrip-noise.html#/topics/123273?page=1

You might want to check if you have the chirp. Normally happens once the car is warm, within the first five minutes after a drive, it normally silences if it idles for more than five minutes until you drive again. Audible in red-lights if you have a good ear and aren't listening to music.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts