Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Love the Forum! New 2017 CRV Touring owner here with a couple of questions. I've paired my iPhone 6S successfully and have use of my personal Pandora channels, etc. but have a question on playing music stored on my phone. First, do I have to have the phone connected (by wire) to play music stored on the phone or can I play that through the bluetooth connection? Secondly, can I see texts and or email on my nav screen without being (physically) connected? Thanks for assistance!!

WeaserP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Was hoping to get at least ONE response but, nevertheless, the problem has been resolved.

·
Super Moderator
3,206 Posts
Probably would have helped to post in the 2017 section, which is where I'll move it to.
How about sharing the solution?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe it would have as you know the Forum much better than I but my initial thought was go right to the "electronics" section. Seemed a bit of a fine line to me but, based on the fact that I got no replies at all, it was obvious it was either a really stupid question or I was in the wrong arena. Thanks for moving it.

Moving on, I really do not know what the resolution was (and, as a psuedo-IT guy in our office, I'm aware that sometimes you NEVER find out what what the problem is so just focus on the solution) but I unpaired the phone, shut the phone and the vehicle down and restarted both, then re-paired and it seemed to pick up the stored music. Could have just been a fluke in the original pairing because originally when I went to the bluetooth icon, I received a message saying nothing was connected (even though I was getting my stored Pandora channels). Now it goes to the stored music as it should. As for the texts and emails, I was told that I'm not going to get that through Bluetooth but only through being hardwired so I'm assuming that's true.

Not sure if that can help anyone down the road but there it is for the file.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that confirmation. I wasn't sure because my wife's Nissan does allow texts and emails to show on the screen through Bluetooth (her Altima is a 2014) and I thought the '17 CRV might be a little more advanced than a three year old system (and it is in most ways) but, if not in this specific area, I'll move forward. It's certainly not a critical issue for me as I typically don't text or email from the car anyway.

·
Registered
219 Posts
First, do I have to have the phone connected (by wire) to play music stored on the phone or can I play that through the bluetooth connection?WeaserP
Even if possible I won't listen to music using bluetooth vs. wired in a car with a decent sound system. IMHO the difference in quality is dramatic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Even if possible I won't listen to music using bluetooth vs. wired in a car with a decent sound system. IMHO the difference in quality is dramatic.
Same. My best experience audio-wise is physically hooking my Iphone to the car playing my lossless music files (1,000+kb/s). iPods appear to be useless with that incessant popping sound they do in the CR-V every minute or two, otherwise I would include those as well.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I also receive texts via bluetooth, although you are not able to reply in the same way. Via bluetooth you are only able to choose between preset phrases whereas, in hard wired you can speak whatever reply you want. I am using an android phone so this may be the reason behind the difference. After reading the iphone limitations on the forum and the visual/functional differences between android auto/apple carplay I'm so glad I stayed with android! I almost made the switch this time just to give apple a chance.

·
Registered
219 Posts
After pairing an iPhone to the system, you must then go into the Bluetooth settings on the iPhone, find Handsfreelink, touch the i button at the right and then enable the Notifications swtich in order to receive SMS text messages on the head unit. Keep in mind that only SMS text messages will come through. If it's a regular message from another iPhone user, it uses the Messages app and these do not get forwarded to the head unit. You can tell if your message is an actual SMS message as it will be colored green in Messages.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Same. My best experience audio-wise is physically hooking my Iphone to the car playing my lossless music files (1,000+kb/s). iPods appear to be useless with that incessant popping sound they do in the CR-V every minute or two, otherwise I would include those as well.
So I'm not sure about something here. I've been listening to Pandora through bluetooth on my phone, sound seems to be ok. Thought I would try music on my phone. Plugged into usb port and plugged phone in. It picks up my music via bluetooth but when I choose smartphone as source it says unable to connect and no device found. I have phone plugged into the 1.5 USB port. What am I missing?

·
Registered
17 Posts
After pairing an iPhone to the system, you must then go into the Bluetooth settings on the iPhone, find Handsfreelink, touch the i button at the right and then enable the Notifications swtich in order to receive SMS text messages on the head unit. Keep in mind that only SMS text messages will come through. If it's a regular message from another iPhone user, it uses the Messages app and these do not get forwarded to the head unit. You can tell if your message is an actual SMS message as it will be colored green in Messages.
I receive both iMessages and regular SMS texts via Bluetooth (despite what the owner's manual says). I'm then able to have them read via CRV's voice. The key was turning on Show Notifications on HandsfreeLink under my phone's Bluetooth settings (thanks mrgoody).

·
Registered
66 Posts
The biggest advantage of using Carplay vs Bluetooth is SRI. Sri has better voice commands than bluetooth. Using Carplay you can request a song by pushing the command button until SRI responds then just say play "song or album name", text "person", call "person". If you get a test SRI can read the text to you and you can quickly respond with your own text by saying it to SRI which will text it back to the sender.

·
Registered
628 Posts
So if I have my iphone connected via cable that will enable Apple CarPlay, right? On p 320 of owners manual it states that if connected to Apple CarPlay it is not possible to use bluetooth or handsfreelink. Does this mean if I want to switch to Pandora will I have to disconnect cable or will it still work? I'm so confused. My techie limitations are showing big time. Help!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I receive both iMessages and regular SMS texts via Bluetooth (despite what the owner's manual says). I'm then able to have them read via CRV's voice. The key was turning on Show Notifications on HandsfreeLink under my phone's Bluetooth settings (thanks mrgoody).
Hmm, perhaps Apple has made updates to allow Messages messages to come through now. Only getting SMS text messages has been a limitation for quite some time, but there's no reason that they couldn't be routed through the system. I'll have to experiment with this when I have some time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So if I have my iphone connected via cable that will enable Apple CarPlay, right? On p 320 of owners manual it states that if connected to Apple CarPlay it is not possible to use bluetooth or handsfreelink. Does this mean if I want to switch to Pandora will I have to disconnect cable or will it still work? I'm so confused. My techie limitations are showing big time. Help!
Pandora still works. Select the Pandora app from the CarPlay menu.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The biggest advantage of using Carplay vs Bluetooth is SRI. Sri has better voice commands than bluetooth. Using Carplay you can request a song by pushing the command button until SRI responds then just say play "song or album name", text "person", call "person". If you get a test SRI can read the text to you and you can quickly respond with your own text by saying it to SRI which will text it back to the sender.
Ok, I'm back after a few days of using Carplay. So you are correct in that it does work better with Siri. I'm receiving and sending texts. Siri seems to understand my Southern dialect better than Honda does. I've just about given up on using Voice commands. My only complaint is having to plug in the phone each time I get in car. Most of my trips are short around town. I'm afraid I'm going to forget my phone in the car.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
iPhone 7: Settings. Cellular- Cellular Data Options-Enable LTE
Changed Enable LTE from Voice & Data to Data Only

Now I receive text messages notifications via blue tooth. Message is read to me if I ask it to. I can also compose/send text message using voice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts