Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets just say first I am very happy with the CRV. Wife loves it and it is very nice. Problem is it has the oil dilution problem to the max. It had THE FIX in early '18 and I thought the problem was taken care of but surprise I guess it did not work. The cam broke and It was repaired under warranty and I was very happy with the service I received. They replaced 2 camshafts, rocker arm assemblies , plugs, reprogrammed again and oil changed. Car seems run as great as it ever did, but will this happen again and is there any other damage done to the engine that might show up in a year or two? I still have 1 full year of warranty and the drive train gets 2 more after that, but I just can't get it out of my mind that this engine is going to fail again.
1. I could move into a 2020, but it has the same engine which I don't trust. They say they fixed the problem and it has gotten better, but you still see report on NHTSA of people reporting the same problem on 19 and 20's.
2. The new Hybrid coming out soon is a possibility, different system. There has been no real bad problem report in the drive train used in the Accord the European Hybrid has been out for a year with no problems. It will cost more to buy.
3. Should I stay with what I got now and hope for the best. There was no charge on the repair, but this would be around $2000 out of warranty to have done again.
4. I just go to something different. I been looking at a Subaru Forester and it is very impressive. It is a little slow of the line, but it has everything else I am looking for. The Rav 4 was not that good in my opinion. It felt the interior was cheap and harder to get into compared to the CRV and Forester.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
1,080 Posts
I believe that the motors in the '17s and '18s have a 6 year/100K warranty due to the OD situation.

Since they have done all of that work, I think you ought to keep it. If, in time it does this again, then off it.

It's a fact that all GDI engines are subject to some degree of OD. If you end up replacing your V, look for a car that does not have a GDI motor.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,624 Posts
Lets just say first I am very happy with the CRV. Wife loves it and it is very nice. Problem is it has the oil dilution problem to the max. It had THE FIX in early '18 and I thought the problem was taken care of but surprise I guess it did not work. The cam broke and It was repaired under warranty and I was very happy with the service I received. They replaced 2 camshafts, rocker arm assemblies , plugs, reprogrammed again and oil changed. Car seems run as great as it ever did, but will this happen again and is there any other damage done to the engine that might show up in a year or two? I still have 1 full year of warranty and the drive train gets 2 more after that, but I just can't get it out of my mind that this engine is going to fail again.
1. I could move into a 2020, but it has the same engine which I don't trust. They say they fixed the problem and it has gotten better, but you still see report on NHTSA of people reporting the same problem on 19 and 20's.
2. The new Hybrid coming out soon is a possibility, different system. There has been no real bad problem report in the drive train used in the Accord the European Hybrid has been out for a year with no problems. It will cost more to buy.
3. Should I stay with what I got now and hope for the best. There was no charge on the repair, but this would be around $2000 out of warranty to have done again.
4. I just go to something different. I been looking at a Subaru Forester and it is very impressive. It is a little slow of the line, but it has everything else I am looking for. The Rav 4 was not that good in my opinion. It felt the interior was cheap and harder to get into compared to the CRV and Forester.
In reality, only you can decide for you. :) Some owners are of the "better the devil you know than the one you do not" philosophy ... as in... you might move to a worse outcome with another vehicle. You just never know..... various reviews, road test reports, and reliability reports only give you broad brush strokes for a brand and model. The devil is always in the details of any specific given vehicle... which is where many states have lemon laws (with conditions of course to avoid consumers exploiting).

A word though on Subarus .... Subaru just launched a huge recall campaign (250K recent year vehicles).. which included Foresters. Reason: a defective value which can cause engine failure under some conditions. I have not seen more specifics than this.. but UMRdyldo has one.. so he may be able to provide more specifics. Subaru as they have ramped up volumes of sales.. appear to be in some struggles with quality at the moment. I'm sure, like most companies, they will get past it... but if you get caught up in it.. more stress for you.

My point? Jumping from ANY brand or model because of being disappointed at some issue with it ... to another brand or model... can very much be an "out of the frying pan and into the fire sort of event". You just do not know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts