Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
If you're in doubt go for the Touring. I think both cars are a big expense, buy the one you're likely to enjoy most!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got the touring I wanted nav and it was only readily available without ordering in the touring in the colors I wanted (lunar silver/black). Really like the headlights and the rain sensing wipers and the nav is better than expected.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Currently I have 2012 CRV EX-L with navigation and I am going to buy 2017 CRV. I am stuck in deciding whether I should buy Touring or EX-L. Touring AWD is around $3,200 more than EX-L AWD but I am leaning towards Touring. Although it would vary from person to person, I want to get opinion of experts here. Is it worth spending $3,200 more to get Touring ?

Navigation feature is not much important for me because I use google maps on Android / iPhone
Hands free tailgate also not very important for me.
Upgraded sound system Not much important for me.
Auto wipers also not much important for me.
yesterday i brought the 2017 EXL without nav - Just when i was driving home with Android auto I realized it is showing the turn by turn navigation on driver's information display which i didn't expect really surprised and very happy about it. You test drive a EXL without nav with Android auto with a destination then you can see yourself.

·
Registered
600 Posts
yesterday i brought the 2017 EXL without nav - Just when i was driving home with Android auto I realized it is showing the turn by turn navigation on driver's information display which i didn't expect really surprised and very happy about it. You test drive a EXL without nav with Android auto with a destination then you can see yourself.

I made the exact same choice based on the same thoughts you had. I believe Apple car play does the same.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wait, it gives you directions on the driver's display behind the steering wheel on exl non-nav?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes , as i mentioned in my previous post on this thread it was a surprise for me . it does shows turn by turn details on the driver information display behind steering wheel - during my test driver 2 weeks ago i connected to Android auto but didn't put a destination in maps but tested everything else in Android Auto and on Thursday when i brought the car (EXL AWD without Navi) I connected the android auto then put the directions to home - to my surprise it was showing turn by turn details on driver information display behind steering wheel.

I am using latest Android version in my Nexus 6p but i am sure this is not related to Android version . I will try to post a picture today.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We were replacing an 8 year old PT Cruiser so even the base level CRV was a big step up. We are on fixed income and the Touring was just out of the question. Didn't want nav or AWD. Been driving over 55 years and never had four wheel drive or felt like we needed it. Spent several hours at the local dealer driving them crazy looking at different models 2016 and 2017. We like the leather seats and the dealer was willing to put leather seats in an EX for a lot of money. We were about to give up and leave and the sales manager could tell his young salesman was about to give up on us. He said he may have something that might interest us. He took us to the back of the lot and showed us an EX-L AWD with Nav. It was the Modern Steel with light gray interior. My wife instantly fell in love with it. The car had a little over 500 miles on it and was being used as a loaner / demo model. I told him we really didn't want to pay for the nav or AWD but he said he'd sell it priced without that cost added in. It also had the all weather mats, cargo mat, and roll out cargo cover. Also had all the carpets still in plastic in the back. It was still more than the base model but it was hard to refuse the offer. It has a lot of bells and whistles compared to the old PT so we are in a learning process with it. This is our first CRV so hopefully it will hold up for a long time. We normally drive our vehicles eight to ten years.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes , as i mentioned in my previous post on this thread it was a surprise for me . it does shows turn by turn details on the driver information display behind steering wheel - during my test driver 2 weeks ago i connected to Android auto but didn't put a destination in maps but tested everything else in Android Auto and on Thursday when i brought the car (EXL AWD without Navi) I connected the android auto then put the directions to home - to my surprise it was showing turn by turn details on driver information display behind steering wheel.

I am using latest Android version in my Nexus 6p but i am sure this is not related to Android version . I will try to post a picture today.
Oh man. I have to figure this out for iPhone.

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Man. I cannot figure that out on my exl non nav with iPhone. I wonder if it's Android only. Do you have it set to a certain display or menu or does it appear from any driver menu?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Man. I cannot figure that out on my exl non nav with iPhone. I wonder if it's Android only. Do you have it set to a certain display or menu or does it appear from any driver menu?

I did not do any special setting as far as i remember because as i mentioned before i noticed when i am driving the car home from dealership when i brought it. But in case if i see something i will post in this thread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't like the wheels as well. But how about the spoiler? Finally something real. Not those phony add-on accessories.

For anyone considering a Touring, check if the magic tailgate will work with a trailer hitch installed.
Regarding the magic tailgate, I bought and installed a Draw-Tite class III hitch from etrailer.com. Seems very solid, as solid as the U-Haul hitch on my 2013 CR-V. I will probably only use for a bike carriter and a cargo carrier, so more than enough heft to it.

The hitch cost under $100 and had free shipping. I did NOT move the magic sensor. The magic still happens, but only on the passenger side of the hitch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I didn't think I would care about the Nav, but it is actually a really nice Garmin system. I also needed roof rails which I believe are about $800, but included on Touring. The real closer for me was the dual exhaust look and chrome trim, really makes a huge difference in appearance to me.
According to the official Honda site, Roof Rails are $399. Add another $249 if you want the Crossbars. Add more if having your dealer install anything. And then add tax.

You could save $$$ by purchasing them on-line from one of the dealers (out-of-state may avoid tax) and installing yourself ... just depends on how urgent your needs are and comfort zone of self-installation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was in the same situation. I went with the EXL and saved some money. The stock GPS will be outdated in a couple of years. You can always use your phone. I don't think the extra stuff in the Touring worth $3,200. As other mentioned here, you could buy and install most of the stuff in the Touring by yourself.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you want the features of the Touring model, just buy the Touring model. Too many threads here from people asking how to upgrade headlights to LED, complaining sound system sucks in non-Touring models, etc...it's just not worth the hassle upgrading these individually when you can get the entire package in the Touring model.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I think it has been established that the radio head units are the same EX-L to Touring. Only difference is the powered sub woofer. For $3200 I could upgrade all speakers and add a subwoofer ( which I do not intend to do since I'm already deaf in one ear) and pay someone to swap headlight bulbs ( which I can do myself) and still have money leftover. As far as the navigation goes, phone will update more often than Honda navi likely will and If you are already comfortable with using the phone for nav it's not a big deal. The one thing I really did not want is the auto wipers. I know of two cases of individuals who had windshields replaced and have had issues with the auto wipers ever since, both in Civic Touring models.

I hope those who bought the Touring and EX-L with navi models enjoy them just as much as I enjoy my EX-L without nav. The reason there are different models is for all to get what we want, customize them to our needs and be happy with our purchase.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you want the features of the Touring model, just buy the Touring model. Too many threads here from people asking how to upgrade headlights to LED, complaining sound system sucks in non-Touring models, etc...it's just not worth the hassle upgrading these individually when you can get the entire package in the Touring model.
Exactly. If you keep the car for 10 years it's 88 cents a day USD which is cheaper than 1 beer in a bar a week (depending on which dive you go to!). Of course there are a lot more reasons to get the Touring in Canada such as panoramic roof, heated steering wheel, heated outboard rear seats and cargo area 12V outlet.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts