Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rotated the tires yesterday. 2018 with $22k. I did a back to front swap, jacking one side of the car at a time.

Driving today on the highway the road noise sounded louder. Anyone find this when rotating tires? I checked all the wheel lug torques, all torqued to 80 ft lbs.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Are your tires directional? If not, then you should not be doing a straight front-to-back swap.

There's a section in your Owners Manual titled Tire Rotation that has information about the correct pattern for rotation, both for directional tires and for non-directional tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Diagram from the owner's manual. I did the lower rotation, and have the Original Ecopias, symetric tire. I will switch the front and I'll be good. thanks.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,461 Posts
If your tire tread was the least bit 'feathered', that could cause the increased noise you experienced.

Rub your hand front-to-back on the tread of the tires in both directions. if it feels rougher in one direction or the other, the tread is feathered. If it bothers you a lot, get the suspension aligned (and mention that you need to reduce the feathering).

As those tires get older and the rubber hardens, the noise will increase.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your tire tread was the least bit 'feathered', that could cause the increased noise you experienced.

Rub your hand front-to-back on the tread of the tires in both directions. if it feels rougher in one direction or the other, the tread is feathered. If it bothers you a lot, get the suspension aligned (and mention that you need to reduce the feathering).

As those tires get older and the rubber hardens, the noise will increase.
Tires are a year old, and no sign of unequal wear.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I rotated the tires yesterday. 2018 with $22k. I did a back to front swap, jacking one side of the car at a time.

Driving today on the highway the road noise sounded louder. Anyone find this when rotating tires? I checked all the wheel lug torques, all torqued to 80 ft lbs.
And you reset the tire pressure on front and back (since they are spec different PSI by Honda), right?

What is the treadwear measurement on each tire?

All tires are same age and brand/model I assume, based on your comment about them being a year old?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I rotated the front tires to match the symetric rotation patern. Then adjusted the tire pressure. The two psi difference in front to back made a difference in tire noise. Hard to believe.

thanks for all the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
pinehilljoe
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing