Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I know there has been several discussions about seats in the past, but it seems like most folks have the leather seats. I'm looking for recommendations on how to make the cloth seats feel a bit softer. Are there seat covers that would help? If so, do they affect how the heated seats work?

Any suggestions are appreciated! I've had 2 back surgeries and I feel a lot like the Princess and the Pea these days!

Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the 2018 EX with cloth seats too. I find them incredibly uncomfortable. It’s ok for up to an hour but longer trips my leg and bum go numb and then I get leg pain. Happens every time no matter how I adjust it.
I bought an obusform seat pad that is just for the part you sit on (ie not the back although these exist too) It sort of helps but even that starts getting uncomfortable after a while and it blocks much of the seat heating. I only use this if I know I’ll be driving more than an hour.

One of my coworkers had 3 cars one of which is an older CRV. No one in the family wants to drive it due to the uncomfortable seat so it’s probably just the way they design them. Try the obus or similar.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Cloth makes seats uncomfortable? Are they not the same shape as other trim levels with leather? Maybe try an auto upholsterer. They can use different foams to find a shape and firmness you find comfortable. Some of the expensive seat covers add a layer of cushion but depending on material, they could also make you sweat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, ill have to investigate further.

Rdrage73, The cloth seats are like sitting on concrete, especially after about 30 mins or so. My commute is about 45 mins to an hr each way depending on traffic. By all accounts, the leather seats are more forgiving. Perhaps they have different padding.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,583 Posts
Unfortunately, anything to address the comfort issue is going to interfere with any seat heating or cooling systems if the vehicle has them installed.

But.... seating comfort in my view would take priority. One option is to go with a sheepskin seat cover.... as that can do a range of things from improving seat comfort as well as dealing with hot or cold seat issues pretty well. In my exeperience, simply having a good quality sheep skin seat cover under you can do wonders (this is what they use in commercial aircraft... though I am sure their seats are more comfortable for long duration anyway.

OR.. (and I know you already tried something along these lines) you could go with something like this which has a memory foam core: https://www.amazon.com/Domic-Cushio...hion+for+car&qid=1567115420&s=gateway&sr=8-19

Or for something even more robust underneath: https://www.amazon.com/Large-Cushio...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Unfortunately... since everyone is different, you are destined to have to experiment with some trial and error.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, anything to address the comfort issue is going to interfere with any seat heating or cooling systems if the vehicle has them installed.

But.... seating comfort in my view would take priority. One option is to go with a sheepskin seat cover.... as that can do a range of things from improving seat comfort as well as dealing with hot or cold seat issues pretty well. In my exeperience, simply having a good quality sheep skin seat cover under you can do wonders (this is what they use in commercial aircraft... though I am sure their seats are more comfortable for long duration anyway.

OR.. (and I know you already tried something along these lines) you could go with something like this which has a memory foam core: https://www.amazon.com/Domic-Cushio...hion+for+car&qid=1567115420&s=gateway&sr=8-19

Or for something even more robust underneath: https://www.amazon.com/Large-Cushio...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Unfortunately... since everyone is different, you are destined to have to experiment with some trial and error.
Thanks so much for the great suggestions! Is there any particular sheep skin cover you'd recommend?

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,583 Posts
Thanks so much for the great suggestions! Is there any particular sheep skin cover you'd recommend?

I have been very happy with these, from Amazon for a number of years now.

They are available in 4 different colors, and are quite good quality sheepskin. They are not full wrap, but rather surface coverage with wrap around straps (front, side, and back). They do have a polyester sleeve (faux sheepskin) around the bottom four sides of the seat.. and it takes a little effort to gently slip that down between the plastic shields and the actual seat, but hold firmly once in place.

I have them on both of our Hondas. For the drivers seat, which sees constant use, I have found that they last about 4 years before they start to look a bit matted.

Personally, I avoid full wrap seat covers as they are a pain to install and a pain to remove and clean or replace periodically. Also.. some are not designed for any airbags inside the sides of the seat.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I find the cloth seats very comfortable but luckily for me I've no back or leg problems.
Perhaps there is a Temperpedic, or similar, seat cushion available that will help.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L 2021 Accord EX-L
61 Posts
My wife and I have an '18 EX and an '18 EX-L. I don't notice a difference in comfort between the two, but I don't love the fabric on the EX. Our previous generation EX used a softer material.

I find the comfort of the leather-wrapped steering wheel a bigger deal than the leather seats. If they offered cloth seats with a leather-wrapped steering wheel on an EX, I'd consider another EX for my next car, but until then, I'm going with another EX-L.

I know this doesn't answer the OP's question, but just my two cents related to the leather vs. cloth issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts