Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've looked and looked and can't find the answer for this. I'd like to know if anyone has a DIY guide to replace brakes on this car. I've done brake jobs on other car brands, just not a Honda.
Do I need anything special for this? Is there any trick to replace the rear rotors and pads because of the electronic parking brake? I hope someone can help me with this.

Thank you, and sorry if it has been asked before, I tried to search the forum, but I didn't see anything about a 2018 model.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,009 Posts
All disk brakes why rotors you need them removed? my vid will be aired one day to many hear can write you what to do good luck on that!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm helping a friend, he was told he had to resurface rotors and replace pads, but he wants to just replace the rotors instead of resurfacing them. It looks easy, but do I need to disengage the electronic brake? I had to do this with a computer on a VW in order to push the piston back.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
No, nothing fancy needed for the p-brake, unless you have it set to auto-engage. I'll look up the torque numbers when I get a chance. It's an utterly standard brake job.

·
Super Moderator
5,009 Posts
Rotors warped due to heat and water... or glazed pads.

If I change a rotor I change the pad, if I change the pad I opt for the rotor.

what does a photo show on parts about the E-Brake?

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm curious as to why a 2018 Honda needs new brakes all ready. Do you have a lot of miles on her, or is the CRV driven in stop and go a lot? Our last 2009 CRV had 130,000 miles on her before I replaced the pads and rotors. But then we live in a more rural setting and the nearest traffic signal is 10 miles away!

·
Super Moderator
5,009 Posts
His friends car not his so his friend must have....

HRV uses a tool for the rear brake that screws so I am sure if the HRV is that way so is hte CRV

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
His friends car not his so his friend must have....

HRV uses a tool for the rear brake that screws so I am sure if the HRV is that way so is hte CRV
I just checked my .pdf's from my one-day rental of the service manual; our cars do not need a piston-twisting tool. Just retract the p-brake, and use any piston compressor. (I prefer a C-Clamp and the old pad.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just checked my .pdf's from my one-day rental of the service manual; our cars do not need a piston-twisting tool. Just retract the p-brake, and use any piston compressor. (I prefer a C-Clamp and the old pad.)
Thanks! I really wanted to find out about this so I'm prepared. What website did you get the manual from?

The car only has around 32k, but both dealership and a local shop said the rear brakes are at about 2mm and front around 3mm, and my friend just wants to get it handled now. He does a lot of freeway driving to Los Angeles, so a lot of stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Yep, that is what I did. I simply did a "print to PDF" for every page I found remotely interesting. You can't dump the whole manual (they'll cut you off if you try) but there's lots in there you don't need. (Like many pages on how to use the official scan tool you don't have and can't afford.)

I thought the $10 was pretty reasonable; I pulled down directions for everything I thought I might even attempt as a DIY. I'd prefer the whole thing in a Dead-Tree book for $50 or something, but the daily rate is not out of line... I'd object if it was $10 for just the brakes, and another $10 for the radiator, etc., but you can pull just about whatever you like, so pick a day when you have a few hours of free time.

·
Super Moderator
5,009 Posts
So how did hte brake job turn out?

·
Registered
415 Posts
changing the rotors at this early stage is just overkill and a waste of time and money.
I have been changing my b-pads for years. Autozone has lifetime warranty on b-pads, just buy once and on the second purchase/replacement, you just return the previous worn out pads and they'll give you a refund on the second purchase.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yep, that is what I did. I simply did a "print to PDF" for every page I found remotely interesting. You can't dump the whole manual (they'll cut you off if you try) but there's lots in there you don't need. (Like many pages on how to use the official scan tool you don't have and can't afford.)
can't seem to find the bake pads replacement from that site, is there anything different vs other Honda's that has no e-brake? maybe attache a picture shot of that instruction. thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So how did hte brake job turn out?
All Good, very easy, nothing special. The hardest part was removing the tiny crappy screw that holds the rotors in place, both rear ones were super tight and the screw strips easily. Also I had to use one of those cubes to rotate the rear pistons to retract them. The fronts just pushed in by hand. About an hour to replace all 4.

Thanks for everyone's responses

·
Super Moderator
5,009 Posts
All Good, very easy, nothing special. The hardest part was removing the tiny crappy screw that holds the rotors in place, both rear ones were super tight and the screw strips easily. Also I had to use one of those cubes to rotate the rear pistons to retract them. The fronts just pushed in by hand. About an hour to replace all 4.

Thanks for everyone's responses
thanks for hte update, and happy your friend is happy and to have you as One. that means a lot .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts