Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has sound quality problems when I call using the HFL. I can hear the person I'm calling clearly, but I am told that there is loud road noise heard on the other end. This happens even though it is quiet in the cabin, radio is off. It is only improved by stopping the vehicle. I have taken it to the dealer who said that it is not the microphone. Dealer told me the entire radio unit will have to be replaced. Does that sound right? Has anyone else had this problem with a 2018 model? (I'm sorry to post this if it's redundant; I can see several threads pertaining to older CRVs. I'm just wondering about the new model.)

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have the same problem....I think it is because there really is a lot of road noise in the car. I also wonder if the noise cancelling system adds noise to the phone

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, they loaned me a Civic while they were looking at my car. I have no problems with the Civic's bluetooth mic. Also, I've rented numerous vehicles over the last year (ford, nissan, chevy, and others) and had no problems with those either. I can't imagine there is more road noise in my CRV than in all of those.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
My car has sound quality problems when I call using the HFL. I can hear the person I'm calling clearly, but I am told that there is loud road noise heard on the other end. This happens even though it is quiet in the cabin, radio is off. It is only improved by stopping the vehicle. I have taken it to the dealer who said that it is not the microphone. Dealer told me the entire radio unit will have to be replaced. Does that sound right? Has anyone else had this problem with a 2018 model? (I'm sorry to post this if it's redundant; I can see several threads pertaining to older CRVs. I'm just wondering about the new model.)
Well, if the dealer said the radio unit needs to be replaced, let them replace it. At least they didn't say it was normal, or couldn't duplicate.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've been told the same thing when using my phone in my 2018 EX-L. Check your tire pressure. While it won't eliminate all of the road noise it'll help. A lot of people posted that their new CRV's had over inflated tires which contributed to some road noise. I checked mine and they were all over inflated. I adjusted the pressure to match the recommended settings printed inside of the door jam. Not all of the noise went away but it did help. I also removed and re-connected my phone as well to see if that would help. I then called myself and left various voice messages while driving on main roads as well as the freeway and then listened to my messages to see if I noticed any background noise (I didn't after adjusting the air and re-setting my phone). This might help but if the dealer is offering to replace your radio you might as well go that route to see if it helps. I'm learning to live with some road noise. My CRV isn't as quiet as my last vehicle but seems like some noise (especially when accelerating from a slow start) appears to be common.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We recently purchased the the 2018 CR-V AND are having the same problem. Very disappointing. My husband has 45 min commute and enjoys calling family to stay in touch. They don't want to talk due to static noise. Dealership is blaming it on sprint. They are not willing to work with us. We have Samsung s7 and s8 phones. I drive a 2012 prius V and have no issueswith the hands free and our 2012 Kia soul had no issues. Pretty disappointing. You would think Honda would have been able to get it right.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Interesting, I have a new 2018 EX-L and the sound is great using my iPhone and the CRV's BT mic. I do notice the volume is a little low compared to the radio so I just turn it up. Road noise is on par with my wife's RAV4 and my Honda RL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting, I have a new 2018 EX-L and the sound is great using my iPhone and the CRV's BT mic. I do notice the volume is a little low compared to the radio so I just turn it up. Road noise is on par with my wife's RAV4 and my Honda RL
I'm glad to hear that you are not having problems. That gives me hope that it can be fixed. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been told the same thing when using my phone in my 2018 EX-L. Check your tire pressure. While it won't eliminate all of the road noise it'll help. A lot of people posted that their new CRV's had over inflated tires which contributed to some road noise. I checked mine and they were all over inflated. I adjusted the pressure to match the recommended settings printed inside of the door jam. Not all of the noise went away but it did help. I also removed and re-connected my phone as well to see if that would help. I then called myself and left various voice messages while driving on main roads as well as the freeway and then listened to my messages to see if I noticed any background noise (I didn't after adjusting the air and re-setting my phone). This might help but if the dealer is offering to replace your radio you might as well go that route to see if it helps. I'm learning to live with some road noise. My CRV isn't as quiet as my last vehicle but seems like some noise (especially when accelerating from a slow start) appears to be common.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that. I really don't want live with just a reduction in road noise, though. I commute and use my travel time to make necessary phone calls. I've rented numerous vehicles previously and have had no problems with their Bluetooths. I expect a Honda to be at least as good as a Chevy for f's sake.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that. I really don't want live with just a reduction in road noise, though. I commute and use my travel time to make necessary phone calls. I've rented numerous vehicles previously and have had no problems with their Bluetooths. I expect a Honda to be at least as good as a Chevy for f's sake.
The ANC system alters the output by rpms, I wonder if there are some wires crossed, perhaps head unit or amp. Also I would think it should turn anc off for calls...

Just a guess. I have no issues, Google pixel XL, and always use Android auto.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
So now the dealership is blaming the noise on Sprint. He said it works fine with his Verizon and is very clear. Interesting that the loaner was a2016 and Sprint phone worked great. We will take this to the next level. If that is the case they should have a disclaimer. We would not have bought the car, would have gone with the Toyota rav.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I checked mine and found the factory overinflated the tires to 37 psi. I set then to 33 and 30 and it's a bit quieter but there is still a lot of road noise. Haven't tried it in a call to see if any difference

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So now the dealership is blaming the noise on Sprint. He said it works fine with his Verizon and is very clear. Interesting that the loaner was a2016 and Sprint phone worked great. We will take this to the next level. If that is the case they should have a disclaimer. We would not have bought the car, would have gone with the Toyota rav.
Did he check it while on the highway? When I took mine in, the dealer first checked it while my car was parked and said it was fine. I had to drive it on the highway and call them before they could hear the noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our '18 is having an issue via Bluetooth handsfree too, when connected to an iPhone X on Verizon. I have not heard any complaints on our '17, which is usually connected via an iPhone 7 on Verizon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Our '18 is having an issue via Bluetooth handsfree too, when connected to an iPhone X on Verizon. I have not heard any complaints on our '17, which is usually connected via an iPhone 7 on Verizon.
Bought the '18 in and they couldn't find any updates needed, any TSB, or anything on their tech forums. They paired an Android phone and said it sounded good to them, so the issue is likely a software problem in the HU with iPhone and we'll have to wait for an update.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchased my 2018 Touring in March and I experienced the same issue as well. What's more distressing is that I had the same issue with my 2011 Crosstour (that the CRV replaced) and they never found a solution. I brought it in and they told me everything was fine. I ended up buying a 3rd party bluetooth receiver and chalked it up to Handsfree Link being new tech at the time.

When I purchased the car I was using an LG v30 with Android Auto and the sound I was hearing was fine but those on the other end said they heard constant noise (with BT or wired with AA). In early April I switched to an iPhone 8+ (due to issues with Android Auto) and my sound is vastly improved. When wired using Car Play, the people I'm talking to report no noise at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Update: I've taken my car to the dealer three times now (50 miles from my home). They've kept it at the dealership for over 30 hours. During that time, they've scratched the trim around the gear shift, scratched the infotainment screen, put greasy fingerprint all over the upholstery, and removed the new car smell and replaced it with the smell of mechanic sweat and farts. I still cannot make phone calls while my car is in motion. I know I sound bratty complaining about my first world problem, but I waited 9 years to get a new car and being able to make my phone calls during my commute was at the top of the list. I would not have purchased this car if I knew the bluetooth was not going to work. I've contacted the corporate office, they are getting back with me after they talk to the service department at the dealership. That was three days ago. Does anyone have any advice if corporate is unable to resolve the issue?

·
Registered
613 Posts
There is a thread on here about dismantling your car and putting in sound proofing. Did they try replacing your microphone? If you use Android auto is Google able to understand you (or Siri)?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Update: I've taken my car to the dealer three times now (50 miles from my home). They've kept it at the dealership for over 30 hours. During that time, they've scratched the trim around the gear shift, scratched the infotainment screen, put greasy fingerprint all over the upholstery, and removed the new car smell and replaced it with the smell of mechanic sweat and farts. I still cannot make phone calls while my car is in motion. I know I sound bratty complaining about my first world problem, but I waited 9 years to get a new car and being able to make my phone calls during my commute was at the top of the list. I would not have purchased this car if I knew the bluetooth was not going to work. I've contacted the corporate office, they are getting back with me after they talk to the service department at the dealership. That was three days ago. Does anyone have any advice if corporate is unable to resolve the issue?

That stinks (literally). I would also be mad too if the dealer scratched things up. I just made a call the other day using bluetooth and was told that I sounded like I was under water. I could hear the person loud and clear the entire time (everything sounds fine on my end). I was driving on the freeway. Once I got off the freeway and came to a complete stop, I was told everything sounded clear and fine on the other end. So something's up with road noise + bluetooth. I hope Honda gets things corrected for you.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts