Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to this club. I've always owned Hondas and just got a 2018 CR-V. I hate how the daytime LED light doesnt match the low beam light or high beam light. My question is, has anyone changed to LED ? And how should I go about doing it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can just by a LED replacement bulb. Direct replacement. Something I would be concerned about if I lived in the Great White North would be, do the LED replacement bulbs produce enough heat to melt ice/snow off the lens assembly?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
dont try to match the daytime marker. You'll be hating life the first time you drive in a heavy rain because you'll get blinded and have one hell of a headache. The daytime unit is to be seen during the day. The headlights are so you can see without excessive eye strain (though for anyone with blue light sensitivity they are headache inducing in heavy rain and snow)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don't be fooled by high lumen facts or "projector exact" bulbs. Because CR-V headlights are designed as a system, to focus light. If the light source in that system is out of focus, it doesn't matter how brilliant it is. You don’t need to focus hotspot of light to shine down the road.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 19 EX (same idea) and swapping in LED bulbs was one of the first modifications I made to my car. Pay attention to the style of the bulb, as most reflectors, and especially the projector housings really need similar light characteristics to function properly. (eg. cuttoff shutter position, bright and dark spots)
Using RockAuto gets you bulb types, then you just find LED modules that match the stock model numbers.

Our 5th gen CR-Vs use the following: (note that high trims like Touring have factory LED modules that don’t follow these sockets)
Low Beam: H11
High Beam: 9005
Fog: H8
Reverse: 921

Look for bulbs where the LED chips are very close to the position of the Halogen filament of a standard bulb. This will give you the best performance, the optics are designed for the light source to be in a specific position.
It's also recommended that you install them oriented such that they shine side-to-side instead of up and down.

I was going to post links to the bulbs I picked up here, and a picture of the lights as they are installed, but it seems I need to post more things to be allowed to do that.
All the links and photos relevant here are in my 'Garage' entry if you want to look there instead.

Good luck.
Could be so kind and post what exactly led bulbs did you get?
Those lights look way better...

Thank

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pardon my Dust...

I have a 19 EX (same idea) and swapping in LED bulbs was one of the first modifications I made to my car. Pay attention to the style of the bulb, as most reflectors, and especially the projector housings really need similar light characteristics to function properly. (eg. cuttoff shutter position, bright and dark spots)
Using RockAuto gets you bulb types, then you just find LED modules that match the stock model numbers.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,2018,cr-v,1.5l+l4+turbocharged,3441619,electrical-bulb+&+socket

Our 5th gen CR-Vs use the following: (note that high trims like Touring have factory LED modules that don’t follow these sockets)

Look for bulbs where the LED chips are very close to the position of the Halogen filament of a standard bulb. This will give you the best performance, the optics are designed for the light source to be in a specific position.
It's also recommended that you install them oriented such that they shine side-to-side instead of up and down.
Good: Filament same distance from socket
2019-03-15 14_45_55-Amazon.com_ Aukee 9005 LED Headlight Bulbs, 50W 6000K 10000 Lumens Extremely.png

Good: Filament as close to center of module as possible.
2019-03-15 14_46_45-Amazon.com_ Aukee 9005 LED Headlight Bulbs, 50W 6000K 10000 Lumens Extremely.jpg

Bad: No lightsource at correct location, light will scatter all over the place, not where it's supposed to be.
2019-03-15 14_49_32-Amazon.com_ JDM ASTAR 1200 Lumens Extremely Bright 144-EX Chipsets 7440 7441.png

These are the exact bulbs I have installed in my vehicle.
Low Beam: Aukee H11 LED Headlight Bulbs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GWF2JXZ/?coliid=I1OMPPYKH6V20X&colid=18D04QA8PVM1Y&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

High Beam: Aukee 9005 LED Headlight Bulbs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FXP4KRS/?coliid=I32HYEFX0RCTEO&colid=18D04QA8PVM1Y&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Fog: JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright 2400 Lumens CSP Chipsets H11 H8 LED Fog Light Bulbs for DRL or Fog Lights
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IMVQWDM/?coliid=I113YGISFZ8N0F&colid=18D04QA8PVM1Y&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

As a bonus, I also swapped out the interior lighting with LED's
Interior: JDM ASTAR 10pcs Super Bright 194 168 175 2825 T10 PX Chipsets LED Bulbs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DE7UC6C/?coliid=I1O7M74HXA9Y02&colid=18D04QA8PVM1Y&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Here's the results.
IMG_20190304_201033761.jpg
IMG_20190304_201024220.jpg

Hope that's helpful, and sorry about the mess in this thread.
Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you so much for posting it chrisbphoenix.
I'm newbie in all this staff. I am in process of trading my cx5 2016 which includes led's.
My new crv will be produced about April 1st, and picked up about middle of April. Just looking for what I can modify and make my new baby look pretty. I used to LED's using my cx5.
That's why I asked.
Quick question. I'm only interested in headlights, not fog/rear lights.
So, I need low and high beam bulbs for my headlights? Pair of each?

Thank you again for your contributions.

·
Registered
161 Posts
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,2018,cr-v,1.5l+l4+turbocharged,3441619,electrical-bulb+&+socket

Good: Filament same distance from socket
View attachment 129025

Good: Filament as close to center of module as possible.
View attachment 129027

Bad: No lightsource at correct location, light will scatter all over the place, not where it's supposed to be.
View attachment 129029

These are the exact bulbs I have installed in my vehicle.
Low Beam: Aukee H11 LED Headlight Bulbs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GWF2JXZ/?coliid=I1OMPPYKH6V20X&colid=18D04QA8PVM1Y&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

High Beam: Aukee 9005 LED Headlight Bulbs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FXP4KRS/?coliid=I32HYEFX0RCTEO&colid=18D04QA8PVM1Y&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Fog: JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright 2400 Lumens CSP Chipsets H11 H8 LED Fog Light Bulbs for DRL or Fog Lights
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IMVQWDM/?coliid=I113YGISFZ8N0F&colid=18D04QA8PVM1Y&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

As a bonus, I also swapped out the interior lighting with LED's
Interior: JDM ASTAR 10pcs Super Bright 194 168 175 2825 T10 PX Chipsets LED Bulbs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DE7UC6C/?coliid=I1O7M74HXA9Y02&colid=18D04QA8PVM1Y&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Here's the results.
View attachment 129031
View attachment 129033

Hope that's helpful, and sorry about the mess in this thread.
Good luck.
Thanks for the info, I might give them a try

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you so much for posting it chrisbphoenix.
I'm newbie in all this staff. I am in process of trading my cx5 2016 which includes led's.
My new crv will be produced about April 1st, and picked up about middle of April. Just looking for what I can modify and make my new baby look pretty. I used to LED's using my cx5.
That's why I asked.
Quick question. I'm only interested in headlights, not fog/rear lights.
So, I need low and high beam bulbs for my headlights? Pair of each?

Thank you again for your contributions.
Best of luck making your Cr-V 'yours'.
You are correct, you will need both a pair of low beams and a pair of high beams. (Everything will be pairs)
The kits I linked are all pairs of bulbs.

If you look at the front of the car, you'll see the high beams in reflector housings closer to the center of the car, and the lens for the low beam projector towards the outside of the car.
This is my driver-side headlight assembly. Note the orientation of the LED module side-to-side, so it shines onto the reflector properly.
20190317_141612272_iOS.jpg

And from behind on the driver side, note the two heatsinks and cooling fans for the LED bulbs. (There's plenty of space to simply pop these in, no muss, no fuss)
I have the wire leads these use zip-tied to a nearby cable to keep them from clunking around.
20190317_141644428_iOS.jpg

And the passenger side. (The manual says you need to remove the windshield fluid filler to access the bulbs, but I just reached around it, a bit tight, but nothing crazy) Do note that the radiator filler is right in this area, be sure not to zip-tie the leads to anything that gets hot, I imagine that wouldn't be good for them.)
20190317_141702578_iOS.jpg

Hope that's helpful.
Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you so much.
Can't wait to pick up my baby in the middle of April.
Led's look way better, also visibility will improve, I bet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just installed the Diode Dynamics LED for my low beams and fog lights in my 19 EX-L. These are bright and still retain the sharp cutoff to minimize glare. Very easy to install and no adjustments needed for the collar.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just installed the Diode Dynamics LED for my low beams and fog lights in my 19 EX-L. These are bright and still retain the sharp cutoff to minimize glare. Very easy to install and no adjustments needed for the collar.
Ouch $150 but I guess if they're good at least...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts