Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found my wife's CR-V down a qt after only 3K miles since last change. 14K on car now. Oil life at 70%. Dealer said Honda doesn't want me to add oil. I asked why they had a dipstick. "To monitor the oil level" they said. They said I was good since oil life still at 70%. I went to another dealer and they told me to believe in the Maintenance Minder but suggested I could add 1/2 qt. I'm old school. Never relied on "idiot lights" to tell me when to service my car. Trouble adjusting. My 2018 Toyota Avalon Hybrid is supposed to be good for 10K mile intervals. Not going by that. Changing at 7K. Also 0W-20. 5700 miles since last oil change and still full. With the possible issues of oil dilution, I wonder how many owners, perhaps not on this forum, ever pull the dipstick.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Why do you think you are down a full quart?

Once the oil filter is full the engine holds a paltry 3.5 quarts...

Not trying to belittle or piss you off but again I ask why do you think you are down a full quart?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Not trying to belittle or piss you off but again I ask why do you think you are down a full quart?

What does the lowest Mark on the dipstick mean?

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
Most of us do check our oil levels regularly... due to lingering concerns over the mystery of some CRVs seeing notable oil rise. So a lot of us have gone back to "old school" :)

Assuming no oil leaks under the vehicle.... First question .. which engine? 1.5T or 2.4L?

Next.... simple question... but needs to be asked..... Is this based on a confirmed check of the oil level after the last oil change?

I ask because it is unusual for a gen5 CRV ... whereas some CRV owners seeing actual oil rise is something seen by some owners. It is not unheard of though.. I seem to recall seeing one other person post something similar in the forum here. I believe this person claimed to be seeing somewhat unpredictable oil level from check to check too.

Did you change the oil last time, or the dealer, or some other service provider.. and did you check the oil after the change? Honda specifies to check oil level 3 minutes after the engine is turned off. With the oil requirement being different on the 1.5T vs the 2.4L

In any event.. the prescribed process when concerned about oil loss is to monitor the oil level weekly and record what you see. What you are looking for is if it has a trackable pattern of oil loss or not, and is it consistent. Generally... a quart loss between oil changes is something that is not common, but also something Honda will tell you does not warrant service attention... but does need to be watched and monitored to see if it get worse over time.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
What does the lowest Mark on the dipstick mean?
The owner’s manual says “if the oil level is near or below the lower mark, slowly add oil, being careful not to overfill”. The owner’s manual goes on to say the oil level “should be between the upper and lower marks”.

The Honda owner’s manual does not say the oil level should be exactly, precisely at the upper mark. It does not say never buy a used car if the oil level is not exactly, precisely at the upper mark. That would just be weird.???

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most of us do check our oil levels regularly... due to lingering concerns over the mystery of some CRVs seeing notable oil rise. So a lot of us have gone back to "old school" :)

Assuming no oil leaks under the vehicle.... First question .. which engine? 1.5T or 2.4L?

Next.... simple question... but needs to be asked..... Is this based on a confirmed check of the oil level after the last oil change?

I ask because it is unusual for a gen5 CRV ... whereas some CRV owners seeing actual oil rise is something seen by some owners. It is not unheard of though.. I seem to recall seeing one other person post something similar in the forum here. I believe this person claimed to be seeing somewhat unpredictable oil level from check to check too.

Did you change the oil last time, or the dealer, or some other service provider.. and did you check the oil after the change? Honda specifies to check oil level 3 minutes after the engine is turned off. With the oil requirement being different on the 1.5T vs the 2.4L

In any event.. the prescribed process when concerned about oil loss is to monitor the oil level weekly and record what you see. What you are looking for is if it has a trackable pattern of oil loss or not, and is it consistent. Generally... a quart loss between oil changes is something that is not common, but also something Honda will tell you does not warrant service attention... but does need to be watched and monitored to see if it get worse over time.
It's a Touring with the 1.5 Turbo The first dealer said it's not unusual to be a qt down in 3K miles due to the thin 0W-20 oil. The thing that started this for me is the first service writer witnessed my dipstick after the oil was warm and had sat for approx 10 minutes and said Honda doesn't want me to ever add oil. These thoughts were repeated by a more senior adviser. Sigh. I'll guess I'll just watch it til the oil life gets to 25% or so. I know 15% is when the light goes off.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think it might be worth asking another dealer's folks. Just ask them to check the oil level since you think your oil level is low. Our '19 Touring is now at 3000 miles and it's right at the top hole on the orange tab, but it's new. If you had very high mileage you might be down somewhat, and auto companies are notorious for setting a standard that 1 quart per 800 miles is fine, however that is not realistic for most cars. It could be you did not get a full fill at that last oil change. All that said, if you are sure you are down a quart there is no harm in adding some.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
1. You may be the first person I have heard that has oil burning, maybe check for leaks.
2. If you are sure it's actually low, add a small amount like 0.25 of a quart and then recheck.
3. Try running the car for a minute or two, then wait 3 minutes and recheck level.

You absolutely do not want to be running low oil when our vehicle only uses 3.5 quarts.

·
Registered
284 Posts
"Found my wife's CR-V down a qt after only 3K miles since last change. 14K on car now. Oil life at 70%."

Are you sure that you lost a quart of oil? Did you check the oil level right after your oil change to determine your starting point? The reason I ask ….on my last 2 oil changes ….the first one was down 1/2 litre the next day....on the next oil change the oil level was over 1/2 litre the next day. Levels were rechecked multiple times over the course of a week. All oil levels were checked with a cold engine and the vehicle parked in the same location. Prior to that the dealer had the oil at the correct level for 20 separate oil changes.

·
Registered
426 Posts
1. You may be the first person I have heard that has oil burning, maybe check for leaks.
2. If you are sure it's actually low, add a small amount like 0.25 of a quart and then recheck.
3. Try running the car for a minute or two, then wait 3 minutes and recheck level.

You absolutely do not want to be running low oil when our vehicle only uses 3.5 quarts.
What he said (y)

·
Registered
151 Posts
On the two oil changes that were done at the dealer. I do them myself usually. they were both overfilled.IMHO, I think they throw in 4 quarts and say close enough. so maybe the last one you had said 3 is close enough. Just a thought. I can't see burning a quart in 3K. Most on here will atest that these engines don't burn oil.

·
Registered
284 Posts
On the two oil changes that were done at the dealer. I do them myself usually. they were both overfilled.IMHO, I think they throw in 4 quarts and say close enough. so maybe the last one you had said 3 is close enough. Just a thought. I can't see burning a quart in 3K. Most on here will atest that these engines don't burn oil.

I concur with CRUISER'S comments....2007 / 2012 CRVs and 2005 Mazda 3 have never had to add any oil between changes at 8000 km intervals. And that's with 180 kms on the 12 CRV and 280 kms on the Mazda.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Generally the hashmarked area of the dipstick equals a half quart/litre.
First of all, there is no hashmarked area on the Orange Monster dipstick used by Honda 1.5T engines.
There is however, an area between the Lower Mark hole and Upper Mark hole that measures 11/16 of an inch. Having siphoned out 7/16 of an inch of oil after a dealer overfill which was equal to 18 ounces of oil.
I would guess the area between Min and Max to be about 28 ounces of oil.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX
38 Posts
I would not care what any dealer would say if I found that I was down a quart of oil.

If I let the car sit for three minutes after turning it off, and check the oil, and it is down to the lowest line, I would be putting oil in there, even if God told me not to… :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Found my wife's CR-V down a qt after only 3K miles since last change. 14K on car now. Oil life at 70%. Dealer said Honda doesn't want me to add oil. I asked why they had a dipstick. "To monitor the oil level" they said. They said I was good since oil life still at 70%. I went to another dealer and they told me to believe in the Maintenance Minder but suggested I could add 1/2 qt. I'm old school. Never relied on "idiot lights" to tell me when to service my car. Trouble adjusting. My 2018 Toyota Avalon Hybrid is supposed to be good for 10K mile intervals. Not going by that. Changing at 7K. Also 0W-20. 5700 miles since last oil change and still full. With the possible issues of oil dilution, I wonder how many owners, perhaps not on this forum, ever pull the dipstick.
Most vehicles' engine oil dipsticks have 2 level marks on it; the top being the "full" mark and the lower mark is the "1 qt. low" mark, or "Add oil" mark. While the oil level doesn't need to be exactly at the top mark, it should be somewhere between the top and bottom markings. If you let the engine sit a few minutes and checked the level and it was at the low mark, then you need to add oil. The fact that your oil life is at 70% means either whoever did the oil change didn't fill it properly or you have a leak or severe oil consumption in the engine (which normally means you'd see blue smoke out of the exhaust). I'm "old school" myself having been a Master Auto Tech for over 44 years, but I must tell you that the Honda Maintenance Minder system is not based merely on miles driven, but the computer calculates driving conditions, that is, how the car is driven. Most of my cars have had the maintenance light come on at around 5,000 miles, give or take (which is 15% oil life remaining when the light turns on). However, my daughter uses her car on long runs to work and back, averaging over 28 miles each way. The last oil change I did prior to her taking this new job, it had about 5,100 miles and 6 months before it reached 15% oil life remaining. The most recent time it hit 15% oil life, the car had over 8,500 miles on it and 8 months! I was shocked, but the oil still looked decent as I always use full synthetic in all my cars. On Toyotas however, it's been my experience that their maintenance reminder light comes on pretty much always around 5,000 miles, with varying time intervals so it seems their system is based on mileage only.

Just FYI, my other daughter had her car's oil change done at a dealer on another island when I was visiting. When we got home, I checked the oil level (just a feeling I had after having had to wipe off oil residue from the driver's door and door handle when we picked it up) and it was overfilled about 3/4" above the top mark. I can't assume that it meant it was 1 qt. overfilled because the dipstick calibration is for the current marking on the stick and not above it. It could've been 1/2 qt. overfilled or more, but no way to tell. Took it back and they drained out the excess so it was just barely below the max mark after we got it back. Yes, even the dealer (who should know better) screws up; primarily because they've got "installers" doing the oil changes rather than the more experienced techs, I guess.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am sure you are right. My first oil change the level was at the top of the orange plastic bit, not at the top hole. 3000 miles later the level is still there. They change the filter, bung in 4 quarts and let the filter fill up. Spec is 3.7 quarts with filter change, so I doubt that the extra 3/10ths hurts. At least it looks like oil and smells like oil and not gasoline. And it was there since the day of the oil change, so I know it's oil.

·
Registered
114 Posts
**2017 CRV EX-L Turbo with Nav. 56,000 miles. I wouldn't be too concerned about the dealer. If you are certain that you are down a quart then bringing it back up to the full mark would not hurt anything although the engine is engineered to function properly as long as the oil is above the fill mark. The dealer might be thinking that adding fresh oil will somehow confuse the Maintenance Minder. Just don't overfill it.

I believe that the turbo is both oil and water cooled as well as oil lubricated so that having a full supply of oil should make it easier on all parts and help to keep the oil cooler. I do have a problem with the CRV's orange tipped dipstick however. It is one of the hardest dipsticks I have seen to read accurately, especially with 0w20 new oil so be sure that your reading is accurate when you say that it is one quart low.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're right. Very difficult dipstick to read. In fact I can't even read the oil level on it until it the oil gets some "color". So impossible for me at least to see if dealer over/under filled oil at change. I added 1/2 qt and oil level is right in the middle between the two marks. I feel muuuuuch better now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts