Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where could I find out the manufacturers recommendations for maintenance intervals on my 2018 CR-V? Sure, I know about Maintenance Minder. I also know my dealer has its own recommendations, regardless of what the might MM say. Is there a source I can go to so that I can be sure I'm getting accurate information from my dealership?

Currently trying to figure out if I need to change transmission and brake fluids.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Lookup the full version of the owners manual online at the Honda owners site. Owners Manual for | Honda | Honda Owners. It will give you the breakdown of all the MM codes and what they mean and when they typically trigger.

That said, the MM will actually notify you when a particular service is required, and the manual basically will give you the key to the maintenance codes, plus any incidental maintenance that may not be covered by the maintenance minder (which are few, to be honest).

Example: A MM code of say..... A7 = A for oil change only, and 7 for brake fluid change.

In the case of code 7... it is not miles based, but time based. Your vehicle keeps track of a range of factors for different MM codes... including elapsed calendar time. Code 7 is triggered on 3 year intervals, and is coded to pair up with the next oil service MM code.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,808 Posts
Pay attention to the method for seeing which services are 'coming up' at the next oil change. That does a LOT to reduce uncertainty as to what you need to have done at the next service.

The button-pressing sequence varies as to what trim level your V has. But, the info is in the full manual.

Many owners tell the dealers "Just do the MM services" and they have over 100K miles on their Gen5 CR-Vs.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Use the maintenance minder or a suggested interval. The owner's manual says when to do additional maintenance that is not flagged by the MM. If you want an old school interval, here is one: Service Intervals - Fort Wayne | Don Ayres Honda

Honda did a really good job designing these vehicles and the MM. They are designed so that if you use the MM -- and the additional items in the owner's manual MM section -- you will be in perfect shape. You do not need to be suckered by any additional dealership 'rip offs'. So too, Right to Repair laws allow you to get the same (or better) service by going to any non-dealer autocare center that employ ASE technicians who work on Hondas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where could I find out the manufacturers recommendations for maintenance intervals on my 2018 CR-V? Sure, I know about Maintenance Minder. I also know my dealer has its own recommendations, regardless of what the might MM say. Is there a source I can go to so that I can be sure I'm getting accurate information from my dealership?

Currently trying to figure out if I need to change transmission and brake fluids.
Lookup the full version of the owners manual online at the Honda owners site. Owners Manual for | Honda | Honda Owners. It will give you the breakdown of all the MM codes and what they mean and when they typically trigger.

That said, the MM will actually notify you when a particular service is required, and the manual basically will give you the key to the maintenance codes, plus any incidental maintenance that may not be covered by the maintenance minder (which are few, to be honest).

Example: A MM code of say..... A7 = A for oil change only, and 7 for brake fluid change.

In the case of code 7... it is not miles based, but time based. Your vehicle keeps track of a range of factors for different MM codes... including elapsed calendar time. Code 7 is triggered on 3 year intervals, and is coded to pair up with the next oil service MM code.
I went to the owners manual online. Reviewed the maintenance section and the Maintenance Minder subsection. I don't see any information about recommended service intervals (actual numbers), though I do see the chart with the codes (p. 561).

Looking at responses here and on a related thread, the general advice is to trust the Maintenance Minder, which most found to do a good job of recommending when their specific vehicle needed service. Understanding the fact that different people drive their cars in different ways, it still seems like there should be some broad guidelines (written) for owners to go by. Guess I'm too old school. When a dealer suggests a service that may not be appropriate, I'd prefer to refer to intervals listed in the owners manual or a trusted Honda website rather than just say, sorry, the MM didn't say it needs to be done.

Thank you for responding!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Use the maintenance minder or a suggested interval. The owner's manual says when to do additional maintenance that is not flagged by the MM. If you want an old school interval, here is one: Service Intervals - Fort Wayne | Don Ayres Honda

Honda did a really good job designing these vehicles and the MM. They are designed so that if you use the MM -- and the additional items in the owner's manual MM section -- you will be in perfect shape. You do not need to be suckered by any additional dealership 'rip offs'. So too, Right to Repair laws allow you to get the same (or better) service by going to any non-dealer autocare center that employ ASE technicians who work on Hondas.
Thank you. Point taken about MM. I took a log at the Don Ayres Honda link. I was curious what they said about changing transmission fluid, but unless I missed it, the various mileage intervals just said to check all fluids.

My immediate concern is that my local Honda is saying my transmission fluid is looking dirty. Mileage is 33,000, which seems low to change, considering I drive my CR-V conservatively and don't put a great deal of wear and tear on it.

·
Registered
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
I don't see any information about recommended service intervals (actual numbers), though I do see the chart with the codes (p. 561).
There is no printed, set schedule. Hasn't been in the Honda world since around 2006.
When a dealer suggests a service that may not be appropriate, I'd prefer to refer to intervals listed in the owners manual or a trusted Honda website rather than just say, sorry, the MM didn't say it needs to be done.
But that's the proper answer. The MM is dynamic, it bases it's decisions on your driving style. Here, I can go about 8,000 miles before the MM tells me to do something. If I moved to New York City and drove only in the city, it would probably prompt me to do the same thing at 3-4,000 miles. That's the beauty of the system.

Dealers tell you to do more things than the MM does because it increases their profits. If they have me come in every 3,000 miles for an oil change when the MM says 8,000, I'm paying quite a bit extra for no increase in, well, anything other than their profits. The car won't last longer, it won't have higher resale value, etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My wife and recently inherited my mother-in-laws 2017 with the 1.5 and CVT. It has 20k miles on it. Just being a anal maintenance type of guy I not only changed the fluid, pulled the pan also.
For a 80 year driver for the first 20k mimes I would change the fluid.
The fluid was dark, the drain plug magnet was covered in shavings, there are 2 more magnets in the pan that where ready to be cleaned and the only other surprise is there is a changeable filter in the pan besides the one behind the fluid cooler (or fluid heater in the parts diagram).
65A80CEC-F14A-4F77-93F9-D00E8140B192.jpeg
AA757CEF-9EE2-4519-BEA1-6AB62D417A19.jpeg

·
Registered
798 Posts
Thank you. Point taken about MM. I took a log at the Don Ayres Honda link. I was curious what they said about changing transmission fluid, but unless I missed it, the various mileage intervals just said to check all fluids.

My immediate concern is that my local Honda is saying my transmission fluid is looking dirty. Mileage is 33,000, which seems low to change, considering I drive my CR-V conservatively and don't put a great deal of wear and tear on it.
The 30,000 mile interval section is where you look to change the trans oil and rear diff oil :) I called Honda and asked about that and they said they recommended the trans and rear diff fluids to be changed out at 30,000. I was curious as well. They also said that when brand new, you want to do the first 15,000 miles and then 30k after -- just to purge all the shavings and junk. Under the 30k interval, they say 'complete transmission service'. That is just a Honda drain and fill procedure (called a flush, but not power flush -- draining, filling up, going through gears, draining, and filling back up). There's also a small external filter that gets changed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2016 EX and the only thing my MM ever tells me is oil change and tire rotation. I have no faith that it really tells you anything or has any capability beyond a glorified counter. And in fact, after an oil change and MM reset it will immediately tell me I need an oil change.

·
Registered
21 Posts

The 30,000 mile interval section is where you look to change the trans oil and rear diff oil :) I called Honda and asked about that and they said they recommended the trans and rear diff fluids to be changed out at 30,000. I was curious as well. They also said that when brand new, you want to do the first 15,000 miles and then 30k after -- just to purge all the shavings and junk. Under the 30k interval, they say 'complete transmission service'. That is just a Honda drain and fill procedure (called a flush, but not power flush -- draining, filling up, going through gears, draining, and filling back up). There's also a small external filter that gets changed.
This is confusing,why can't Honda give a range of miles for each MM? It isn't till you get to Maintenace 3 that it says replace the transmission fluid. I had a mechanic replace the fluid at~ 60,000 miles because he said the fluid 'looked' discolored not because it was Maintenance 3. I've never seen Maintenance 3 show up and I now have 100 K+ miles and still nothing. Now I have a P083 error code and the 'suggestion' is replace the the 2nd clutch switch and transmission fluid. There has to be a better way to do this.......

·
Registered
16 Posts

Do you have an owners manual?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,195 Posts
This is confusing,why can't Honda give a range of miles for each MM? It isn't till you get to Maintenace 3 that it says replace the transmission fluid. I had a mechanic replace the fluid at~ 60,000 miles because he said the fluid 'looked' discolored not because it was Maintenance 3. I've never seen Maintenance 3 show up and I now have 100 K+ miles and still nothing. Now I have a P083 error code and the 'suggestion' is replace the the 2nd clutch switch and transmission fluid. There has to be a better way to do this.......
The last time that Honda had a maintenance schedule in their manual was 2006. However you can download this manual and use the schedule in it. It is still valid with today's vechicals with one exception. Honda now wants an additional early differential fluid change at 14k miles.

·
Registered
97 Posts
2017 CRV EX-L Turbo with Nav. Same for me except that I was looking for specific mileage recommendations about Coolant replacement but it is not there. So far I have come out OK by following MM even when the dealer recommended mileage based services. By following MM I have gotten another 10,000 miles for both Transmission fluids & Brake fluids & I felt OK about it.

Now, however, the dealer's mechanic says to change the coolant at 65,000 miles because the coolant is starting to be discolored, even though MM has not said to change it yet. A physical condition like discolored is different from a mileage based recommendation so I am probably going to trust that the mechanic is being honest & make the change.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,195 Posts
Your MM for coolant will occur at 120k or 10 years. Then every 60k / 5 years. But I wouldn't wait 120k/10 yrs. On the bottle of Honda Coolant it says 60k/5yrs which sounds reasonable for extended life coolant.

·
Banned
61 Posts

What kind of dealers do you Americans have. You should have a service book showing when a service is due (12,500 miles), what is to be carried out and to be signed by the dealer at service. Transmission fluid should last around 40,000 miles and brake fluid 70,000 miles. These Hondas are not the same as the old Yank tanks that needed servicing every time you took them out.

·
Banned
61 Posts
What kind of dealers do you Americans have. You should have a service book showing when a service is due (12,500 miles), what is to be carried out and to be signed by the dealer at service. Transmission fluid should last around 40,000 miles and brake fluid 70,000 miles. These Hondas are not the same as the old Yank tanks that needed servicing every time you took them out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts