Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda did the first complimentary oil change at a year and 6,000 miles. I'm assuming they reset the MM, although I didn't check, and my wife is the primary driver. I just did the second oil/filter at 11k miles and a year (no maintenance req'd light). There were some things I have questions about:

1. The old oil came out black. Thin (flowed well), no particulates, but very black. After 5k miles, that surprised me. Cause for concern?

2. I put the oil change sticker in the window, then went to reset the MM. To my surprise, after 6k miles and a year, the MM said the oil still had 80% of it's life left! How can I ever believe the MM?

3. The MM also said I need to change the brake fluid. After 11k and 2 years? That seems extreme.

4. I wish there was a simple maintenance schedule (I read elsewhere on this forum that 2006 was the last year for that). Of all the cars that have come through the shop, we've always used basic schedules for maintenance jobs. I can't trust the MM, considering what it has told me so far, but my concern it the trans and rear diff. With Honda's reputation for trans problems, I want to get that right. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Roger

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,057 Posts
Your brake fluid warning occurs around 2.5 years, the clock started on the date of manufacture. Honda recommends at least every 3 years. You will get a warning on the diff around 14k then every 30k or so. Transmission...you wouldn't be consided OCD if you change it every 25k-30k. Yes the oil gets black quickly...this is due to the direct injection engine which produces more soot than than port injection. I change oil at 5k, transmission and diff at 30k, brake fluid at 3 yrs, coolant every 5 yrs/ 60k. But thats me. If you do it yourself it just costs you the fluid.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your brake fluid warning occurs around 2.5 years, the clock started on the date of manufacture. Honda recommends at least every 3 years. You will get a warning on the diff around 14k then every 30k or so. Transmission...you wouldn't be consided OCD if you change it every 25k-30k. Yes the oil gets black quickly...this is due to the direct injection engine which produces more soot than than port injection. I change oil at 5k, transmission and diff at 30k, brake fluid at 3 yrs, coolant every 5 yrs/ 60k. But thats me. If you do it yourself it just cost you the fluid.
Thanks for all the info, Traylaw. I usually do brake fluid at 5 years - guess I can step it up, not a big deal to do it. Oil is 5k (10k seems crazy to me, especially when I do 2k - 2.5k on the old Mopars). The big thing is the CVT and rear diff. I'll plan for the 14k then 30k - seems reasonable. The only reason I didn't do the first one myself was because it was free (and that was tough on my anxiety!). I might be able to get a deal on the fluids, too, since my son recently took a mechanic job at the dealership where we bought the CR-V.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Honda did the first complimentary oil change at a year and 6,000 miles. I'm assuming they reset the MM, although I didn't check, and my wife is the primary driver. I just did the second oil/filter at 11k miles and a year (no maintenance req'd light). There were some things I have questions about:

1. The old oil came out black. Thin (flowed well), no particulates, but very black. After 5k miles, that surprised me. Cause for concern?

2. I put the oil change sticker in the window, then went to reset the MM. To my surprise, after 6k miles and a year, the MM said the oil still had 80% of it's life left! How can I ever believe the MM?

3. The MM also said I need to change the brake fluid. After 11k and 2 years? That seems extreme.

4. I wish there was a simple maintenance schedule (I read elsewhere on this forum that 2006 was the last year for that). Of all the cars that have come through the shop, we've always used basic schedules for maintenance jobs. I can't trust the MM, considering what it has told me so far, but my concern it the trans and rear diff. With Honda's reputation for trans problems, I want to get that right. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Roger
My oil is black after a couple thousand miles and that's using top rated oil. The color means nothing

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
115 Posts
With Honda's reputation for trans problems, I want to get that right. Any suggestions?
Just curious. After this comment why not change the fluids earlier?
Thats my plan.
The engine oil being dirty concerned me also. Check out this thread I started about engine oil being black. Last page has a pic of my oil when I did first oil change at 700 miles. Motor Oil Getting Dirty / Black At Low Miles

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
115 Posts
Black oil pics at low mileage.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
115 Posts
Could it be the difference in the oil you use? I use Castrol Edge 0W20.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've noticed that on my 2016, it tends to be harder on oil... probably due to the direct injection and very high compression ratio -- as one other poster mentioned. I like to change my synthetic motor oil out every 4000 miles since I signed up for the Valvoline engine warranty program.

That oil is pretty dark, but dark oil... kinda looks like the motor is running rich.

As far as the other fluids, I like to be on top of it... brake fluid flush every 3 years, trans and rear diff change every 2 years/15,000 miles. Honda transmissions are no worse than any other transaxle -- just keep up with the maintenance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get to know more about oil than you ever wished, when you check out bob the oil guy. Dark oil usually means NOTHING

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
115 Posts
Bob the oil guy is not new to me.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L AWD
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honda has had trans problems in the late 90s Accords and early 00s Civics. Pilots have had problems for a few years more recently. Odysseys have had problems here and there, including my 2002 that they replaced at 40k. Honda has stood behind their products, even replacing mine which was out of the 36k warranty and not in the VIN series that was recalled. I still prefer Honda vehicles, and I want to make sure I give them the care they need. Based on all the great advice and ideas here, I'll do the first at 14k (or if the MM tells me to).

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,909 Posts
Honda has had trans problems in the late 90s Accords and early 00s Civics. Pilots have had problems for a few years more recently. Odysseys have had problems here and there, including my 2002 that they replaced at 40k. Honda has stood behind their products, even replacing mine which was out of the 36k warranty and not in the VIN series that was recalled. I still prefer Honda vehicles, and I want to make sure I give them the care they need. Based on all the great advice and ideas here, I'll do the first at 14k (or if the MM tells me to).
Past performance (or lack of) =/= future performance (or lack of). Especially so when comparing 20 year old designs with current designs. This is true for every manufacturer.

While every new design vehicle brings it's own unique weaknesses... in the gen5 CRV platform... the CVT IS NOT on the radar as presenting issues to the population of gen5 owners.

Gen5 CRVs field weaknesses have been oil dilution and poor cabin heating in cold weather until Honda changed the engine tuning, bad injectors @ ~ 50K+ miles for some owners of 2017s, head unit glitches (which are generally resolved with a system reboot or a firmware update by Honda. There are some bad mounts being reported in some 2020s.. but these are not functional failures (they make a noise is all) and are being replaced.

Read through the TSB subforum for Gen5 CRVs to get a better view of issues that span multiple VINS... and Hondas solutions for them.. at no charge to customers. There are literally no complaints about recurrent field failures on the CVT.

All that said... follow Honda's MM for fluid replacements and you will be fine. Change fluids early if that floats your boat.. but mostly that just puts more fluids into the recovery and recycle programs run by various states. Reason: Honda is actually conservative in how it specs its vehicles, and that includes maintenance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts