Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 CR-V Touring FWD that I bought new and have 42,000 miles on the original Hankook Kinergy GT tires which I rotated every 5,000 miles and I expect to get another 3.00 miles before I replace them. I have read so many reviews about replacement tire on tire sites and forums, but it seems most of them are for areas that have ice and snow. I live in south Texas where the summer temps are 95-100 degrees during the summer and lucky if we have any freezing weather at all. 80% of the miles driven are highway miles and never off road. I have narrowed the search down to maybe 2 tires, the Continental True Contact Tour and the Michelin Defender T+H. What I am looking for are reviews from motorist that live in the Southwest that experience the same kind of weather conditions and driving habits, what you like and dislike about these 2 tires.

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
451 Posts
those are both great tires for your area ,tire rack has good reviews you really want to focus on the reviews that people put 30k or more miles but I bet they are neck and neck with quality , I know both brands are made at different plants so I would go for made in USA if either is,example my goodyear weather ready is made in US or Chile it probably doesnt matter but I was surprised when I got them from tire rack and they were Chlle made in 215/65/16 and the 2nd 4 from PEPBOYS but I try to buy USA if I can is what i'm getting at ,I hope the soybean oil is not going to be a mistake $1,200 in tires on both CRV's time will tell

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
I have a 2018 CR-V Touring FWD that I bought new and have 42,000 miles on the original Hankook Kinergy GT tires which I rotated every 5,000 miles and I expect to get another 3.00 miles before I replace them. I have read so many reviews about replacement tire on tire sites and forums, but it seems most of them are for areas that have ice and snow. I live in south Texas where the summer temps are 95-100 degrees during the summer and lucky if we have any freezing weather at all. 80% of the miles driven are highway miles and never off road. I have narrowed the search down to maybe 2 tires, the Continental True Contact Tour and the Michelin Defender T+H. What I am looking for are reviews from motorist that live in the Southwest that experience the same kind of weather conditions and driving habits, what you like and dislike about these 2 tires.
Dave J's comment is sound. (y) Personally, I am a Michelin fan.. and live in California, where weather is similar to yours. But both tires get good ratings and reviews.

I wanted to note here the great miles you got from your Hankooks! :) My guess is being FWD, and mostly freeway driving really helps in this regard, since the rear tires are always rolling rather then adding traction, and not much braking as you would have in the city. Most AWD CRVs get more like 30K when properly maintained and rotated. Looks like at current wear conditions, and me being mostly city driving, I will get somewhere between 25-30K on mine. What is your remaining tread wear on them at 42K?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in the same situation with replacing Hankook Kinergy GT OEM tires right now on my 2017 CR-V Touring AWD, and my two (narrowed down) choices are the same; Michelin Defender T+H has a ride described as firm and controlled, with "eager" and responsive steering, which sounds great. Continental True Contact Tour has excellent reviews re: the smooth, quiet ride and great handling, was favored/came out ahead in the comparable test drive with Mich Defender tire, and the guys at Tire Rack say it is the better overall tire. It definitely has better handling and stopping time in wet conditions.
With the way the Hankooks are riding now (wandering, loose steering etc) either tire will be a huge improvement.
Let me know if you've found information that's helped you decide !

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Turns out my latest hardcopy of Consumer Reports just arrived, and it has fresh tire ratings in it, as well as tire store ratings too.

CR reports in it's All Season category:

1) General Altimax RT43(t) [a CR recommended buy] good all around, but no superior ratings in any category
2) Michelin Defender T+H [a CR recommended buy] also received a superior rating for road noise
3) Continental TrueContact tour also received a superior rating for snow traction, but dinged on wet braking, so CR did not give it a recommended buy

·
Registered
865 Posts
Turns out my latest hardcopy of Consumer Reports just arrived, and it has fresh tire ratings in it, as well as tire store ratings too.

1) General Altimax RT43(t) [a CR recommended buy] good all around, but no superior ratings in any category
2) Michelin Defender T+H [a CR recommended buy] also received a superior rating for road noise
3) Continental TrueContact tour also received a superior rating for snow traction, but dinged on wet braking, so CR did not give it a recommended buy
I'm sure you don't want to look this up for everyone but how did the Michelin premier LTX perform? If not ltx, then a/s? Supposedly snow/wet traction, especially on worn tires, is the best on these due to an expanding a groove design. I do wonder if consumer reports bothers with shaving them down a bit?

I suspect a lot of tire brands cheat a bit by making claims on new tires, which is only relevant for about a month. Best new tire traction does not equal best traction over tire life, which is what I wish reviews were...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I'm sure you don't want to look this up for everyone but how did the Michelin premier LTX perform? If not ltx, then a/s? Supposedly snow/wet traction, especially on worn tires, is the best on these due to an expanding a groove design. I do wonder if consumer reports bothers with shaving them down a bit?

I suspect a lot of tire brands cheat a bit by making claims on new tires, which is only relevant for about a month. Best new tire traction does not equal best traction over tire life, which is what I wish reviews were...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Both Michelin models were rated number 2 in their category from CR, and received recommended buys. Both were rated average on snow traction though. LTX were superior for road noise and rolling resistance. A/S were rated superior for dry braking and hydroplaning resistance.

For really good snow traction and ice braking, you pretty much have to go with winter/snow tires.. and the Michelin X-ICE XI3 were number 4 in the categoy and superior snow traction. Note though that pretty much all snow tires are rated inferior on wet braking by CR.

Separately:
By CRs reviews, ratings, and long term life tests... literally no tire is tops in every test category... so when shopping for tires.. you really need to prioritize what is most important for your personal drving needs. CR is really tough on scoring on tires. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thank you, Williamssji!
Appreciate that information. This decision feels so important at present with not much tire between me and the road (rear tire tread almost bald), seeking to determine what will give me a firm, controlled, more "planted" ride and more precise steering.
I think Michelin Defen. T+H likely a good choice as far as that goes.
My original choice was Continental CrossContact LX 20 (new version 25) and I'm still considering it, though sure would like to know what others think of it, a some CR-V owners found it loud and too truck-like.

·
Registered
5 Posts

thanks for the information! What vehicle was used in their testing off these?

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Thank you, Williamssji!
Appreciate that information. This decision feels so important at present with not much tire between me and the road (rear tire tread almost bald), seeking to determine what will give me a firm, controlled, more "planted" ride and more precise steering.
I think Michelin Defen. T+H likely a good choice as far as that goes.
My original choice was Continental CrossContact LX 20 (new version 25) and I'm still considering it, though sure would like to know what others think of it, a some CR-V owners found it loud and too truck-like.
Continental CrossContact LX 20 was number one by CR for all season truck tires, and a recommended buy. Superior rating for noise... and average or better then average in all other test categories. Tested tread life = 65K miles. Like all tires in their truck category though.. the mileage ratings are lower then the regular all season category. Since SUVs can be served well by either all season tires or all season truck tires..... if mileage is a prime importance, better to steer away from the all season truck tire category.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ended up buying the True Contact Tour tires for my 2017 CR-V Touring ed. Immediately experienced better handling re: steering accuracy, nimbleness of turning and maneuvering. Found myself driving faster because of the lesser effort/decreased resistance of the tires; feel more planted on the road, thus safer. Drove out to California and enjoyed the quiet driving and ride; felt safer in heavy traffic, on wet roads and gravel. They became more noticeably quiet ( for a CR-V) after about 500 miles which is typical. Deciding what kind of driving experience and feel I was looking for helped me choose tire to buy, deciding against a more aggressive tread. Highly recommended by Tire Rack and Discount Tire guys I spoke with. Very happy with them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts