Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'18 CR-V EXL Obsidian Blue
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a maintenance question for my CRV

Specific question regarding code B167 for which the differential and brake fluids are referenced (along with oil/filter change). There’s no guidance like in the old school owners or maintenance manuals as to estimated miles or time intervals with environmental conditions variables (hot or cold climate, dusty, etc.)

We have 19,300 miles on the CRV; the oil and filter was changed in March and we have about 2,000+ miles on it since then. It seems to me that it’s early for both the brake and differential fluids, as well as the oil/filter to be changed.

We got our CRV new in June 2018.

Please advise - thanks in advance

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,575 Posts
What oil life percentage do you have left? Brake fluid is changed approx every 3 years. Differential fluid changed at 15k , this is done early to flush out break in debris. Then the next time will be around 60k.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What oil life percentage do you have left? Brake fluid is changed approx every 3 years. Differential fluid changed at 15k , this is done early to flush out break in debris. Then the next time will be around 60k.

The diff is closest oil change to 15k, the brake fluid is closest oil change to 2 years. If you just had your oil changed 3 months/2k miles ago I'd assume they forgot to reset the MM.
Thanks for your responses!

Normally I wouldn't think to change oil until about August sometime based on the change in March. We just moved, 3 car caravan drove about 1,700 miles end of this past March with the CRV moderately loaded with some of our stuff. Makes sense to me now to change the differential. I was figuring 3 years on the brake fluid. Oil looked good when I last checked it, will check again later, maybe it's worth changing the oil since it was a little stressful loaded up for that move. Now with the environment we're in I look at gas mileage as weeks per gallon instead of miles per gallon....

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
Thanks for your responses!

Normally I wouldn't think to change oil until about August sometime based on the change in March. We just moved, 3 car caravan drove about 1,700 miles end of this past March with the CRV moderately loaded with some of our stuff. Makes sense to me now to change the differential. I was figuring 3 years on the brake fluid. Oil looked good when I last checked it, will check again later, maybe it's worth changing the oil since it was a little stressful loaded up for that move. Now with the environment we're in I look at gas mileage as weeks per gallon instead of miles per gallon....

Keep in mind that the MM forward predicts maintenance tasks when it is able to and presets the codes ahead of time for the next expected service event.

If the MM already knows, from calendar time, or miles, or operation conditions that a maintenance code for something in addition to an oil change is required... it will literally begin showing the codes immediately after an oil change.

For example.. last year.. after an oil change, my MM immediately afterward loaded the codes for the next oil change AND the brake fluid change as well. But most owners do not actually use the MM display option on their instrument panel.. so they don't notice this until the MM pops at engine start time when the MM is down to 15%. The MM apparently was aware that I am only doing oil service roughly annually (due to my low miles of driving) and hence popped the brake fluid service one year ahead of time in the MM... which came right at the 3 year mark for me. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep in mind that the MM forward predicts maintenance tasks when it is able to and presets the codes ahead of time for the next expected service event.

If the MM already knows, from calendar time, or miles, or operation conditions that a maintenance code for something in addition to an oil change is required... it will literally begin showing the codes immediately after an oil change.

For example.. last year.. after an oil change, my MM immediately afterward loaded the codes for the next oil change AND the brake fluid change as well. But most owners do not actually use the MM display option on their instrument panel.. so they don't notice this until the MM pops at engine start time when the MM is down to 15%. The MM apparently was aware that I am only doing oil service roughly annually (due to my low miles of driving) and hence popped the brake fluid service one year ahead of time in the MM... which came right at the 3 year mark for me. :)
Hmmmmm.... thanks for the heads up

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts