Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda CR-V EX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I woke up this AM and I go to start up my 2018 CRV was dead in the water. No lights, accessories nothing. I jump it and get it started, let it run for about 30 min and then go take it for a drive to get all the systems reset. I get home and go to turn off the CRV and it will not turn off! I get glitching electrical problem where it seems to be struggling to turn off. After several more attempts it finally goes off. I go back in the house to get some coffee and breakfast and when I go back out to the garage, the CRV has turned itself on in Accessory mode.

To make a long story short, this happened all morning. I had already checked the battery, battery connections, fuses, etc. Everything looked fine. Did some research and made sure that the shifter was fully in park as I had read that sometimes if it is off by mm's it would not recognize it being in park. I finally had enough and called the dealership and they told me to bring it down. I dropped it off and they called me back 30 min asking if I turn it off with my foot on the break keeping it in "Accessory mode" and wanted me to come back, pick it up, and monitor it. That way I would not have to pay the diagnostic fee. I agreed I would, but about an hour later they called and said it had turned on Accessory mode by itself and would send it over to the shop to have it looked it.

Another hour passed and they called back and said the shop manager is pretty confident that the issue is the Keyless Access Control Unit as he said its not a common problem but on the tech bulletins this is an issue with the Honda Pilot right down to the last detail. I am at 61k miles so this is not going to be under warranty and I am looking at $729 for parts and labor. The Service manager said they have never seen this problem before so it was a first for them there.

The big problem is the Keyless Access Control Unit is on back order and could be weeks to months till it comes in even on "critical" back order. That fine and all but that means my CRV will drain the battery every night until it is fixed unless I disconnect that battery, but that still means resetting the systems every time the battery is reconnected. I am going to go tomorrow and buy a 12 volt battery maintainer so I do not have to keep disconnecting the battery when I have it at home. I will have to limit my errands to a few hours so that battery does not completely drain but will bring my portable jumper just in case. Its like ghost has taken over my CRV.

Has anyone experienced anything even remotely similar to this ??? Do you agree that it could be the Keyless Access Control Unit? I was thinking it was possibly the ignition, but the dealer said it was not. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
10,948 Posts
Use paragraphs!! People often find it harder to read giant slabs of text with no breaks in them. Before hitting the enter button reread your post a couple of times if needed.

• Love
Reactions: MikulB

·
Premium Member
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
5,244 Posts
TDN's advice is good, it's hard to read unformatted text. Just try reading any medieval manuscript.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the ignition". That can mean anything from the entire system that creates spark to just a keyhole ("Is the key in the ignition?").
Of course I agree it "could" be the key-less access system, it could be a lot of things.
If the dealer says there is a TSB on this it's pretty likely that is the problem.
You could approach Honda to see if they'll make some accommodation since it's a known problem, but that would cover some cost, not the wait.
The parts problem is an issue for many. It's not likely you'll find a Pilot that new in a junkyard, but some are tied into large networks, you might find one.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
If you feel yourself to be reasonably handy, ask them if they'll show you where it is, and go get one from a U-Pull-It junkyard. (Or eBay might have a used one; just search for the part number.) They won't warranty it of course, but it'll get you back on the road.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
13,992 Posts
Found one member here who had the issue on a 2017. He used the key to shut the lock the door and shut off the alarm. Give it a try.

On other Hondas it appears as if there is a message with a scanner "Keyless Access Control Unit Problem". Here's a description on an Odyssey:

Didn't find the exact location in a CR-V (in the Cabin Control Unit, perhaps?) but it appears that several relays are contained therein. The relays are the same part number, I would mark them then swap them around to see if a sticking relay could be causing the issue.

·
Registered
2013 Honda CR-V EX-L (no navigation)
120 Posts
You can get a used module from Search Results

Sometimes a weak 12v battery creates issues like these.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,606 Posts
TDN's advice is good, it's hard to read unformatted text. Just try reading any medieval manuscript.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the ignition". That can mean anything from the entire system that creates spark to just a keyhole ("Is the key in the ignition?").
Of course I agree it "could" be the key-less access system, it could be a lot of things.
If the dealer says there is a TSB on this it's pretty likely that is the problem.
You could approach Honda to see if they'll make some accommodation since it's a known problem, but that would cover some cost, not the wait.
The parts problem is an issue for many. It's not likely you'll find a Pilot that new in a junkyard, but some are tied into large networks, you might find one.
Dealer said though that other cases were on Pilots, not CRVs.

I imagine that unless it is a known weakness in design by Honda on CRVs, they will be unlikely to offer any good will warranty coverage exceptions. And this is the first I have heard of this on CRVs, but of course any random component can and will fail.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
IF you can reasonably verify the dealerships assessment that it is the KACU at fault..... maybe seek a replacement via a pick and pull junk yard.

Junk yards are probably already picked clean of key parts and modules in this current supply chain crisis, but it may be worth a try seeing if you can go pick and pull a KACU from a junked CRV, and then take it to an independent service provider to install it. That might get you back up and running until an actual new part can be secured. Though in fairness, a picked KACU from a junked 2018 CRV probably is "good as new".

What you likely will not get is agreement from the dealer to install a used part picked from a junkyard.. which is why I said go with an independent service provider.

Before doing anything major though.. I would be double checking wiring and connector harnesses, and reseating control relays just to be sure this is not simply a loose connection somewhere.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
Came across this thread on a Civic forum. Several people with the same issue including a CRV and an Odyssey. Sounds like the fix is to replace the BCM.

Keyless Starter System Glitch? Car turning on by itself to accessory mode.
The general theme of that thread is 1) head scrathing by the dealer (which clearlfy indicates it is not a widespread problem) and 2) indicates that the dealer had to call in Honda Customer Support Engineering to isolate the cause, and they eventually settled on the BCM as the cause. That is exactly what the dealer should do.

So... clearly there are some Hondas with this issue presenting in the field, but it is not common enough that rank and file Dealers are aware of the cause of the symptoms presented.

Of course I also see the usual rants about why no Honda recall as the issue "appears to be common". LOL... sorry folks but projecting your particular problem with a handful of other owners does NOT equal common at all. Besides, recalls are only for safety issues, like fuel leaks, dangerous suspension issues, etc. The correct action if Honda saw a concern-in-numbers in the field would be they would issue a TSB and issue a field campaign notice to owners. But you know what.. if there are only say 50-100 cases world wide in any given year in a field population of millons is not worthy of a TSB campaign. BCMs are expensive and replacing millions of them would be nuts when there are only a small number of instances reported in the field.

I did however see that at least one of those Civic owners did get warranty exception consideration from Honda so they only paid a very small fee to the dealer to get this resolved. This is what Honda in fact does when they know their may be an issue with a small number of vehicles.. and hence they apply good will exception for the owner, but do not do a broad recall campaign.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CR-V EX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The general theme of that thread is 1) head scrathing by the dealer (which clearlfy indicates it is not a widespread problem) and 2) indicates that the dealer had to call in Honda Customer Support Engineering to isolate the cause, and they eventually settled on the BCM as the cause. That is exactly what the dealer should do.

So... clearly there are some Hondas with this issue presenting in the field, but it is not common enough that rank and file Dealers are aware of the cause of the symptoms presented.

Of course I also see the usual rants about why no Honda recall as the issue "appears to be common". LOL... sorry folks but projecting your particular problem with a handful of other owners does NOT equal common at all. Besides, recalls are only for safety issues, like fuel leaks, dangerous suspension issues, etc. The correct action if Honda saw a concern-in-numbers in the field would be they would issue a TSB and issue a field campaign notice to owners. But you know what.. if there are only say 50-100 cases world wide in any given year in a field population of millons is not worthy of a TSB campaign. BCMs are expensive and replacing millions of them would be nuts when there are only a small number of instances reported in the field.

I did however see that at least one of those Civic owners did get warranty exception consideration from Honda so they only paid a very small fee to the dealer to get this resolved. This is what Honda in fact does when they know their may be an issue with a small number of vehicles.. and hence they apply good will exception for the owner, but do not do a broad recall campaign.
This make sense. The service manager said they had to contact engineering as it was nothing they have seen before but only heard about.

Now they said its the Keyless Access Control Unit and the Civic forum says the BCM. I'm no mechanic so are they referring to two separate components?

I have had my CRV for less then 3 years and is outside of the 36k warranty. Though it's lesser known of an issue I might contemplate calling Honda of America to see if there is anything they can do.

Such an important component, leaves a bad taste in my mouth if I have to cover the costs on a less then 3 year old vehicle. But if I know it will fix it, I'll pay it.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
I have had my CRV for less then 3 years and is outside of the 36k warranty. Though it's lesser known of an issue I might contemplate calling Honda of America to see if there is anything they can do.

Such an important component, leaves a bad taste in my mouth if I have to cover the costs on a less then 3 year old vehicle. But if I know it will fix it, I'll pay it.
Yep, you can appeal to Honda, and should because they have a history of doing good will exceptions on some failures. Cannot hurt to ask, especially if your dealer has your back on the appeal. Failing that, yeah... cost goes to the owner out of warranty.

So here we have an instance of seeing the ever increasing value of slapping a HondaCare extended coverage policy on a new Honda. Especially since you can get one at very reasonable prices (in the context of extended warranties) online.

I never used to get extended warranties, as I did not see the ROI for them in the old days. But I shifted on this back in 2013 as I saw the ever increasing integration of expensive electronic systems in vehicles.. not just in the cabin, but throughout the vehicle. Not that failures were more common in modern vehicles (they are actually sightly better on average) but that the cost to repair was skyrocketing as vehicle manufacturers move from a "repair the defective component" model to a "replace the entire unit" model. At that point, the ROI became obvious to me in addition to the peace of mind it instills.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ahhh, technology.
When is it enough?

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
10,948 Posts
^

Be grateful it isnt a German car.....their tech is woeful both and out of warranty periods....

·
Registered
2018 Honda CR-V EX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I opened a case with Honda of America and was told my case was escalated up to a District Manager. They also confirmed the issue with the dealership. In the meantime, I have been been keeping it hooked up to a 6 amp batter charger/tender at home so when the car does turn on randomly, my battery is not completely drained.

Today I ran into another problem, while at the store, my alarm went off with my dog in the car. So if the alarm is armed and the accessory mode turns on, it will set off the alarm. So now I cannot lock my CR V when I am out anywhere.

·
Premium Member
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
5,244 Posts
Well at least you seem to be on the right track and they have taken you seriously.
Just remember your dealer should be your advocate with Honda, keep everything friendly, not saying you wouldn't. :)

·
Registered
2018 Honda CR-V EX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the tips Beww! Looks like at least 3 posts recently with the same topic--hopefully those authors are looking for posts in the forum versus replies to their threads.

Adding more info--if you open up a case with Honda Care North America, the email says "This correspondence has been forwarded to a District Case Manager, who will contact you via telephone as soon as possible to discuss your concern". I have now been told this translates to 6-8 weeks!!! I opened my case October 12th, I have called about 2-3 times per week, left messages with my case manager and have never actually spoken to a real person about my issue.

Seems your local dealership if you have a decent relationship with is the only person that can do anything to assist in the short term.
Lovely. I opened a case with Honda Care North America a week ago and got that same message about it being forwarded to a District Case Manager. I called today to check up on it and the person I spoke with told me I should hear from them by the end of the week LOL. I am not holding my breath.

1 - 20 of 237 Posts