Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove my 2018 CRV (which is only a few months old) two days ago without problem, but yesterday morning I found the battery completely discharged for no apparent reason - no lights or accessories had been left on. I trickle-charged it (2 amps) for 30 hours, which brought it back to life. It starts now, but runs rough and reports problems with several of the electrically operated systems. Does something need to be reset?

One thing I haven't done yet is to check the voltage level. I'll do that tomorrow - perhaps the problem is just that this almost-new battery has just failed. The 2017 CRV was known to have problems with parasitic loads, but I haven't seen any notice of this being a problem for 2018, and besides, I had driven it in the last several days.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought my crv about a month ago, took it home, parked in driveway. About an hour later, went out to go somewhere, and it would not start, battery was low. Called dealer service, i jumped it, took it back. They checked and found a bad cell in battery, replaced with new battery, all good now. That battery only had 40 miles on it.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,034 Posts
If you suffer a battery discharge you will get several warning lights for a few miles.

Bring it to the dealer, ask for a new battery, and also ask them to see if you have any parasitic current drains.

If you can't bring it in for a while, disconnect the black battery terminal, wait 15 minutes, and touch it to the red terminal. This will reset everything. You may still have a few warning lights but they will go out within a few miles of driving.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Replacing the oem 51r wet cell battery with agm type battery supposed to help since agm type battery has a lower discharge rate than wet cell.
Option 2 would be replacing the 51r with a larger battery (group 24 or 35) if you can make it fit.
Something to look into for the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So today my 2018 CRV needed to be jump started. We’ve had it two years and have 22,000 miles on it. We called North Shore Honda, they have us an immediate appointment. In about an hour the service manager informed us that the original battery is bad. They installed a new battery under warrantee at no cost.
I can’t believe the battery went bad in only 2 years. However thanks for the great service North Shore !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had a dead battery with car being 2 weeks old. Dealer said that the date code on the battery was 2 years old. He said that at the factory, they don't rotate their stock and sometimes the battery will sit in the back of the battery bin for long periods of time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts