Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have solid information on 2018 CRV designs?

After months of researching, I have come to terms of buying a CRV. However, as I complained months ago, I don't like the sliding armrest.
When you open the armrest, it is just a plain ugly deep hole there. On top of that, people have been complaining the armrest slides too easily and does not stay put. That sliding L shaped plastic tray also makes a loud noise when it slides.

I was wondering if 2018 would be exactly the same design or what. If so, I will pull my trigger for a 2017 CRV instead. If Honda design away the sliding armrest, I would consider 2018 model instead.

Please share links on information you find about 2018 CRV

Thanks

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
They have not formally released the 2018 update, but nothing more than maybe some color tweaks are likely. There certainly will not be a major overhaul to any part of the interior.

I haven't had any problems with the armrest sliding on it's own. The cavernous hole is by design (a lot of reviews have mentioned it's a very good place for women to stash purses.)

But I wouldn't resign yourself to getting anything (unless it's for your SO); life's too short to buy a car you'll be meh about right off the lot. Find something that excites you more, even if it's less practical in some way. (Certainly you are more likely to care for a car you like.)

·
Registered
600 Posts

After months of researching, I have come to terms of buying a CRV. However, as I complained months ago, I don't like the sliding armrest.
When you open the armrest, it is just a plain ugly deep hole there. On top of that, people have been complaining the armrest slides too easily and does not stay put. That sliding L shaped plastic tray also makes a loud noise when it slides.

I was wondering if 2018 would be exactly the same design or what. If so, I will pull my trigger for a 2017 CRV instead. If Honda design away the sliding armrest, I would consider 2018 model instead.

Thanks
I don't have either issue with mine.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Thanks
As others mentioned , there may not be any change in physical design - also they may not consider adding the panoramic sunroof or heated steering wheel or rear heated seat like Canada touring model has because even without those options 2017 CRV sold very well compared to the competition.

But i strongly feel they might update the infotainment software to the one 2018 Accord \ Odyssey is using, that is one of the thing most of the reviewers criticized also most of the user having problem with Android Auto \ Apple car play connection and it is just the software design which is 3 years old (introduced in 2016 civic). Recently i drove 2017 chevy cruze as rental for a week and i have to say they done very good job and i didn't feel any lag.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

Thanks
First of all, if you are going to make a car buying decision based on the center arm rest....maybe you should buy something else. I mean really, the safety features, the handling, the good fuel economy, the efficient use of interior space, resale value, etc. Forget all that minor stuff...pick out a MAJOR design feature...does it take eight pounds of force to move the center armrest or is it nine pounds?

I am not being serious....well, not about the force needed. I am serious about all the rest of the stuff one might consider. If you are thinking that hard about your arm rest preferences then you should probably buy something more to your liking. Heck with all that other stuff....

But to actually answer you original question...based on Honda history I would not expect much difference between the current car and a 2018. As has been pointed out, they just did a complete design update and change. No reason to expect anything major until the "mid model" update after three years. But, no one knows for certain.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I don't move the center console tray very often and when I do I don't find the sound particularly irritating. I'm not a fan of the sliding arm rest either. I much prefer the arm rest style in my '12 V LX...tilt it down to use, up to store...easy peasy. I also prefer the center console in my '12 V...there is much more room, the sliding cover is far cooler and it is far easier for someone to store their bag/purse/murse/etc. in the console than my '17 V.
But all in all I love the '17 V and would not trade it just because I'm not a fan of the console...but if wishes were fishes, etc.

If it is that big a problem for you buy something else...or learn to live with it...

·
Registered
190 Posts
One of the few things I miss from my last car (Nissan Rogue) is the center console...it had a kind of double lid, where if you open it one way you get the main console, but if you open it the other, you get a much smaller tray that's perfect for gas card, insurance card, phone, pen, etc.

(The other thing I miss is the 360 degree back-up camera...great for parallel parking!)

(The other other thing I miss is the vastly superior Sirius traffic info.)

I think that's it...for everything else, the CR-X blows the Rogue away!

·
Registered
26 Posts
When looking for a car, I try to stay away from the first year of a new model. I found that some internal changes show up in the updates.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The only thing cooler than that sliding armrest is the sliding tray below it that exposes a cavern under it big enough to swallow most any hand cannon.:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
The first couple of weeks with this CR-V, the sliding armrest in the console would slip out from under my right hand when I was getting in the car. For some reason, I guess I adapted or changed the way I was entering the car, because I realized it hadn't done that in a long time.

I did like previous models of the CR-V I test drove in the past 3 or so years -- there was one with a flat (horizontal) tambour (sliding) door on the console. I really liked that one and was disappointed that it had been changed. I still kind of hanker after that. :) It was a nice wide platform when closed, for setting something upon.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
When looking for a car, I try to stay away from the first year of a new model. I found that some internal changes show up in the updates.
I've had 6 first year cars and didn't have issues with them. They were company cars and I ordered them from a photo because we could order them before the were on the market. I got one of the first ones available in the city, town or county I lived in. I didn't feel it was a big risk since it was a company car and I didn't have any investment in it, the repairs or the resale. Some were the first downsized Malibu, first Dodge Lancer, first Dodge Dynasty, first Ford Escape, first Skylark and one of the first Celebrity diesels.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I've had 6 first year cars and didn't have issues with them. They were company cars and I ordered them from a photo because we could order them before the were on the market. I got one of the first ones available in the city, town or county I lived in. I didn't feel it was a big risk since it was a company car and I didn't have any investment in it, the repairs or the resale. Some were the first downsized Malibu, first Dodge Lancer, first Dodge Dynasty, first Ford Escape, first Skylark and one of the first Celebrity diesels.
Wow! You had a '53 Skylark, new? How old are you? :)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
First year vehicles:

Well, back in the "old days", especially on domestically built cars from the "big three" first year cars did sometimes have issues. The car makers rushed out new models much too quickly as they did their annual model changes. For the Japanese I don't recall we ever had much trouble with most first year models. Part of that may well be due to the five year redesign cycle. They take their time and do things right. Part of it may be due to the fact that many models are "global" and often times are sold somewhere else, like in Japan, before they are introduced to this market. Some of it may well be that the Japanese are very careful with their new models unlike the old Big 3 of old who cranked out crap.

My last two Honda's were first year models and both have been perfect.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The first couple of weeks with this CR-V, the sliding armrest in the console would slip out from under my right hand when I was getting in the car. For some reason, I guess I adapted or changed the way I was entering the car, because I realized it hadn't done that in a long time.

I did like previous models of the CR-V I test drove in the past 3 or so years -- there was one with a flat (horizontal) tambour (sliding) door on the console. I really liked that one and was disappointed that it had been changed. I still kind of hanker after that. :) It was a nice wide platform when closed, for setting something upon.
Are you referring to the sliding (and kind of lockable) center console with big surface? I see it in the Pilot

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They have not formally released the 2018 update, but nothing more than maybe some color tweaks are likely. There certainly will not be a major overhaul to any part of the interior.

I haven't had any problems with the armrest sliding on it's own. The cavernous hole is by design (a lot of reviews have mentioned it's a very good place for women to stash purses.)

But I wouldn't resign yourself to getting anything (unless it's for your SO); life's too short to buy a car you'll be meh about right off the lot. Find something that excites you more, even if it's less practical in some way. (Certainly you are more likely to care for a car you like.)
I do understand. But buying a car is a comprehensive decision based on many factors. I wouldn't want to turn away from its goodies like space utility and MPG, two of which I care most about. But I am saying, if the center console were designed simpler (traditional), it is would be closer to perfect for my needs

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha. Then you know what I mean. I prefer a simpler/traditional center console design. It is actually a big swaying factor for me right now. If not for its superior utility and MPG, I would turn away from CRV in a heartbeat. (exact same reasons why I don't want to turn away from it)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Haha. Then you know what I mean. I prefer a simpler/traditional center console design. It is actually a big swaying factor for me right now. If not for its superior utility and MPG, I would turn away from CRV in a heartbeat. (exact same reasons why I don't want to turn away from it)
There are a great number of really good cars out there to pick from. The field is so competitive it can be difficult to chose if you aren't attached to a certain brand. For many years I was a big Toyota fan. Times changed and Toyota dealers in my area got to be pricks that were impossible to deal with.
I then spent a few years owning various makes, most of which were pretty good cars. But some years back I switched to Honda for a list of reasons. I look at the complete owner experience from dependability, value for the money. look and driving feel of the car, resale value and more. For me Honda came out best. There are no perfect cars, many brands have their own best points. But looking at the car over all I had to stick with Honda and have never regretted it. But, that is for my tastes and experience. YMMV and another model or brand may work better for you.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts