Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 CRV with roughly 62K miles. This is the scenario: I had been for a walk and came back to the vehicle, unlocked it with the fob and removed my water bottle while talking with a friend. I then decided to open the windows partially with the fob and afterwards I dropped the fob inside the vehicle on the passenger's seat. After a few minutes I heard what sounded like the lock engaging. When I was ready to leave I tried opening driver's door with no luck. Tried unlocking by pushing the lock button inside driver's door. (I didn't think to try the lock mechanism by the inside handle until later, but was able to get to the fob by using something else on the passenger's seat to drag it to where I could reach it. (windows were not completely down so I had issues reaching the fob). I know the manual says if you use the fob to unlock the door and don't actually open the door by a certain time that it will re-lock, but I didn't think it would lock back with the fob inside. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
1,075 Posts
Two possibilities come to mind.

1) The battery in your FOB is weak, creating a weak signal that is hard to read.

2) The ECU sensed that the windows were not completely closed, thereby over riding the "can't lock my fob in the car safety feature" in favor setting the security system.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,552 Posts
Two possibilities come to mind.

1) The battery in your FOB is weak, creating a weak signal that is hard to read.

2) The ECU sensed that the windows were not completely closed, thereby over riding the "can't lock my fob in the car safety feature" in favor setting the security system.
There is a 3rd possibility, though how real I have no idea in this case. You can in fact leave a fob in your vehicle and then lock the vehicle with another fob. You may even be able to lock it with the button on the door as long as you have a second fob in your possession.

And if you have walk away autolocking enabled.. that will not work if the fob is in the vehicle. Though I guess there could be a defect in the locking system that might cause that safe feature to be defeated.

I don't think you can achieve possibility 2. I honestly do not believe you can lock your vehicle with the fob inside, by pushing the lock button on your door, while the fob is inside. I admit I have not personally tried it... so I could be incorrect. What I do know is if any doors, the hood, or the cargo door are not closed.. you cannot engage the built in security system (you can lock it when you have the fob with you, but the security system will not engage).

That said, there are some undocumented nuances with the keyless entry and lock systems on newer Hondas. For example, in the case of my wifes 2018 accord, if she leaves her fob in her purse and puts her purse in the trunk and closes the trunk lid, her Accord immediately complains. She has done it a couple of times, and in each case the Accord alerted her with a beep alert as soon as she closed the trunk lid.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,572 Posts
Congratulations, you found one of the auto relock Easter Eggs.
1. The first, if the vehicle is locked and you open the rear tailgate place the fob in the car and close the tailgate. The tailgate closes, sounds four beeps and locks the vehicle.
2. The second is if the vehicle is locked and you unlock the vehicle with the fob. But don't actually open a door, the the vehicle will relock the car after about 60 sec. It doesn't care if the windows are open or closed or if the fob is in the car.
If you notify Honda they will sent you a beautiful blue tee shirt that says "Duh! I locked myself out twice". My wife wears her's with great pride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sat in the CRV with the fob and went through the same steps - with the same result - Doors re-locked. There is no way to try the same scenario with the windows up because the way it happened before was after opening them part way with the fob. Then I closed the windows and was able to lock the vehicle with the fob in it by (1)pressing the button on the door (2) flipping the lock that is above the door handle manually and (3) with the lock button on the fob. So much for “the doors won’t lock with the fob inside” 😳😳

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,552 Posts
Congratulations, you found one of the auto relock Easter Eggs.
1. The first, if the vehicle is locked and you open the rear tailgate place the fob in the car and close the tailgate. The tailgate closes, sounds four beeps and locks the vehicle.
2. The second is if the vehicle is locked and you unlock the vehicle with the fob. But don't actually open a door, the the vehicle will relock the car after about 60 sec. It doesn't care if the windows are open or closed or if the fob is in the car.
If you notify Honda they will sent you a beautiful blue tee shirt that says "Duh! I locked myself out twice". My wife wears her's with great pride.
Heh.. I had previously discovered number 2 on my wifes Accord. So that behavior appears to be common across modern Hondas. Annoying, so I simply reverted to unlocking and opening the door. :) But since you never opened the door, how would you lock yourself out, since you still have the fob? Honestly, I rarely use the fob to lock/unlock.. I use the button on the drivers door.

Never experienced number 1. But it is slightly different than what the original poster did. He/she tossed the fob on the passenger seat. So.. is this an event that happens and simply does not care where you left the fob in the vehicle, or which door you opened? Or is number 1 a cargo door phenomena only? Good to know though, even though I would never consciously leave a fob in my vehicle... but it could happen by accident for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts