Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 CRV has 48,000 miles. All the warning lights came on the dash a couple months ago. I disconnected battery to clear the warning lights. Drove 2 hours to dealership, they replaced the battery They informed me that disconnecting the battery would clear warning messages (Codes) and not to do it. When I went back next, with all warnings lights on, they replaced the Air Conditioning Module. The third and fourth trip to the dealership they replaced the spark plugs, that they did Not have on hand.
Now I am waiting for fuel injectors to arrive, so they can schedule replacement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2018 CRV has 48,000 miles. All the warning lights came on the dash a couple months ago. I disconnected battery to clear the warning lights. Drove 2 hours to dealership, they replaced the battery They informed me that disconnecting the battery would clear warning messages (Codes) and not to do it. When I went back next, with all warnings lights on, they replaced the Air Conditioning Module. The third and fourth trip to the dealership they replaced the spark plugs, that they did Not have on hand.
Now I am waiting for fuel injectors to arrive, so they can schedule replacement.
This just happened to me on a road trip with my 2018 CRV 38k miles. Had it towed to a dealer who got the code: P061B ECM/PCM Internal Malfunction. Once they cleared the code they could not duplicate and so American Honda Motors would not do anything (they require getting code twice). I was worried about my safety and so in the end I paid out of pocket to have ECM/PCM replaced. Dealer (Hansel Honda in Petaluma, CA - they were excellent) did not charge for installation. Started a case with customer service and it took 6 business days to get a return call and regional case manager said there was nothing they could do. This is my sixth Honda/Acura and I am disappointed in the perceived importance they are placing on money (New RCM/PCM part cost $441) over safety. Sent a letter to customer service (per chat line person suggestion) but don’t expect them to do anything either. Seriously rethinking Honda brand and yet most other auto manufacturers have issues as well.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,625 Posts
This just happened to me on a road trip with my 2018 CRV 38k miles. Had it towed to a dealer who got the code: P061B ECM/PCM Internal Malfunction. Once they cleared the code they could not duplicate and so American Honda Motors would not do anything (they require getting code twice). I was worried about my safety and so in the end I paid out of pocket to have ECM/PCM replaced. Dealer (Hansel Honda in Petaluma, CA - they were excellent) did not charge for installation. Started a case with customer service and it took 6 business days to get a return call and regional case manager said there was nothing they could do. This is my sixth Honda/Acura and I am disappointed in the perceived importance they are placing on money (New RCM/PCM part cost $441) over safety. Sent a letter to customer service (per chat line person suggestion) but don’t expect them to do anything either. Seriously rethinking Honda brand and yet most other auto manufacturers have issues as well.
A frustrating problem for sure. That said....

Honda policy that an error code must repeat in order to qualify for a warranty service is not that unusual these days in the era of complex motor vehicles rolling off the assembly lines now days.

With all the electronics systems in modern vehicles... sometimes there is a glitch or noise on the bus they all talk across.. and so... recording a code is important, but so is duplication of a code as well. When there is a solid problem... then getting a duplicate code is pretty easy.

But if it is a noise glitch somewhere or an intermittent in some component.. it can be hard to find.... and Honda does not want dealers "shotgunning" part changes until the problem appears "fixed" when they cannot even reliably duplicate the problem.

As a retired career electrical engineer... I can attest that the Honda approach here is rational and a best practice where electronic systems are concerned.. especially when there are multiple systems interacting in real time. I can also attest that problems that are intermittent and/or not repeatable... is the bane of electronics design, testing, and maintenance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
FYI, I am going to write this in bold. THIS IS A FUEL INJECTOR PROBLEM. Eventually, the misfire codes will start to creep up. I hope you are in one of the US states where emission warranty covers you if not the outright Honda warranty from the factory.
I just got the work done at 65K (was close, in my state Emission warranty is up to 7 years or 70K miles)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts