Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a similar question to a recent post here but slightly different... I was looking to get a set of winter tires and either wheels or rims for my 2018 CRV EX (stock 18” wheels) and have settled on the Nokia Hakka R3 (SUV version?)
I don’t think they come in 18”.

My local tire retailer sent me this :

“We recommend dropping down to 17”.

Downsizing:

Dropping down a rim size, increases your tire size. It will give you the same overall diameter as stock. The vehicle will not sit lower, or higher. The extra sidewall on the smaller tire, will flex more under braking or maneuvering in deep snow and slush. This will allow for greater control, and a safer winter driving experience.”

Is this a good idea? When I went to Costco (who didn’t have the Nokian) as well as some online retailers they all suggest 18” wheels to be the same as my current 235-60-18 tires - the number indicated on the door.

Costco only seemed to have the Michelin x-ice2 in 18” and is what they recommended. I’ve read less than stellar reviews on these.

So, am I OK to get the 17” as recommended??

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,742 Posts
If you observe the proper specs for wheel offset and overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo, you should be fine.

You can research this on the Tire Rack website www.tirerack.com. They DO offer 17" wheels that fit 2018 CR-Vs that originally came with 18s...

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,742 Posts
Oh yeah, almost forgot...also be SURE that the rated load on whatever tire you are considering is at least the same as OEM.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This fall I purchased a set of tires and wheels from Tire Rack and they recommended the 17" wheels with Blizzacks. I've been quite pleased and I checked to see if indeed, as they said, they were the same rolling circumference. The odometer reads within 1 mph of my GPS phone app. On the plus side the 17 combination was significantly cheaper than the 18" wheels.
YMMV
Cheers,
Lynn

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Only thing that matters is all 4 wheels are the same size

If you want the speedometer to read exactly as OEM then outer circumference needs to match.

Of course as carbugg said, watch the wheel offset, make sure its correct.

Beyond that nothing else truly matters.

You are correct that more sidewall is better for less than Ideal conditions. Reason why offroad capable vehicles have much more sidewall. It's a need. The trend of less sidewall is to give a more sporty feel when driving as well as fuel economy as alloy rims are lights than rubber. Reducing rotational mass, increasing fuel economy.

The whole taller sidewall vs shorter thing, if your driving fast enough to truly feel a difference in 1" of rim diameter (where it actually effects performance, not just your butt dyno) you need to SLOW THE HECK DOWN for your daily driving. These are SUVs not sports cars so I tell everyone to keep that in mind.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
962 Posts
The CR-V LX COMES with 17" wheels and tires.

That's all you really need to know...Match the LX size and you are good to go!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts