Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this was mentioned somewhere, so let me know of there's a different thread, but periodically our Head unit will just start freaking out. All of sudden brightness levels start adjusting without reason and it starts beeping like crazy and the only way to stop it is turn the car completely off. To me this isn't just annoying, but also incredibly dangerous as it is a massive distraction. Is there a software fix or firmware update out that's supposed to fix this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had this with my '18 from time to time. I've come to the conclusion this isn't so much a firmware issue as it is the touch screen itself. It think the touch screen is super sensitive (you can adjust this in settings), so heavy oil and dust accumulation will cause it to act up. I keep a lint free cloth in the console to wipe it off at least once a week. Haven't had any trouble with it since early summer, but that doesn't mean problem solved. It is very intermittent, so this spell of not seeing it may just be coincidence. I'll also note that I've only seen this in the warmer summer months, not winter. I've only had mine for two summers, but that may be telling.

There is apparently an update, but it doesn't appear to address this specific issue: 2017-2018 Infotainment software update.

When this happens with mine, I pull over as soon as I can, shut everything off, including the vehicle. This seems to resolve it upon restart. A PIA to do this.

My wife just got the '19 RDX. Much nicer infotainment system in it with automatic updates via wi-fi. However, it uses a touchpad with physical clicks. It doesn't work like a touch screen, nor a laptop touch pad. Takes a bit to get used to this after the touch screen on my '18 CRV and every smartphone for the past 10 years.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,625 Posts
While I have not personally had this issue, I have read enough posts about it here in the forum to conclude that I think the root cause issue here is the head unit having a matte finish on the touchscreen. Matte finish touchscreens are notorious collectors of finger oils and tiny dust particles.. and worse... these actually get embedded into the matte finish and are hard to really clean away.

This would be why the problem lingers in the field, and affects some users and not others. We all have different finger oil chemistry, different degrees of finger oil, different cabin environments (temperature, dust, etc). It would also explain why going in and reducing the sensitivity setting on the display (something a number of users have reported as an owner workaround) actually appears to work for some owners.

By comparison... the current generation Accords head unit has a nice shiny oleophobic finish to it's touch screen.

Anyone that wishes to explore use of a screen protector to mitigate the issue of the matte finish on their touch screen... a excellent choice would be one of the oleophobic screen protectors designed for the gen5 CRV Head Unit screens.... produced and sold by Photodon. They sell a variety of them... just don't go with their anti-glare finish versions as that may not address the problem described above. I put one of their 9HO protectors (https://www.photodon.com/p/2267-01.html) on my head unit screen and it has made keeping it clean and shiny extremely easy now. [DO NOT try to use the cheap glass screen protectors being imported from China. Those work great on cell phones and tablets, but in an automobile cabin.. with all the temperature extremes.. they just bubble and crack].

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,625 Posts
My wife just got the '19 RDX. Much nicer infotainment system in it with automatic updates via wi-fi. However, it uses a touchpad with physical clicks. It doesn't work like a touch screen, nor a laptop touch pad. Takes a bit to get used to this after the touch screen on my '18 CRV and every smartphone for the past 10 years.
Yeah.. I went and looked that up online. NOT an improvement by Honda in terms of infotainment design in my view. I sure hope that Honda does not roll that over into the new generation Hondas as well.

Infotainment systems are the vehicle version of a tablet these days to most users. So.... intuitive touchscreen design makes a lot more sense then this move to the A/B touchpad. It certainly will drive owners directly to CarPlay or Android Auto though... and.. maybe that is the silent plan behind that approach. :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
I had the same problem pop up on my '17 EX recently. I was aware of this being a problem because of the reports in this forum. I called my dealer telling them of my problem. The dealer told me there was a software update for this. I made and appointment and they performed the update several weeks ago. No further problems thus far.
Moral of this story? Call your dealer, get it fixed...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I went to the dealer straight away. He said there is no update available. Mind that this is a EUDM model, one of the first to be sold in Europe actually, November 2018. It is stated as a 2019 model

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
While I have not personally had this issue, I have read enough posts about it here in the forum to conclude that I think the root cause issue here is the head unit having a matte finish on the touchscreen.
We have experienced the 'crazy screen' thing several times and have had a screen protector on the touchscreen since I personally peeled off the protective film back on Day One - this leads me to believe there is more to it than 'just the matte finish.'

If I recall there is a specific update for folks who have had this issue...

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 18 had the issue as well. My dealer replaced the unit no problems but it happened again. So not sure what to do now.

My thought on this maybe that it could be the light sensor that is acting up? Since the brightness seems to freak out. But what do it know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts