Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here so apologize in advance because I have seen this issue being discussed in other threads.

I have a 2018 CRV (base model). I bought it in January 18 and it ran fine until the recall maintenance.
The car takes forever to heat up even after parking in the garage overnight. I live in Vancouver and it doesn't even get that cold. Also, the temp gauge is usually just under (cold) the middle when the car has been driven for a while.

Do any of you have any solutions for this problem?

I have also noticed that the mileage has decreased since the recall, not sure if anyone experienced this.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Does it run differently/poorly after the fix? Is the heater not heating the cabin or is the motor not reaching operating temp? The temp gauge needle on our CRV points just a tick below half way.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Newbie here so apologize in advance because I have seen this issue being discussed in other threads.

I have a 2018 CRV (base model). I bought it in January 18 and it ran fine until the recall maintenance.
The car takes forever to heat up even after parking in the garage overnight. I live in Vancouver and it doesn't even get that cold. Also, the temp gauge is usually just under (cold) the middle when the car has been driven for a while.

Do any of you have any solutions for this problem?

I have also noticed that the mileage has decreased since the recall, not sure if anyone experienced this.

Thanks in advance.
What is the temp you set? Mine is 22C in auto climate.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
My 2018 EX (1.5L) CR-V is horrible in cold temperatures. It’s -20ish C this weekend in Quebec and even after driving the CR-V through a 150km mix of highway and city driving, my temp only reached normal op temperatures once. The rest, the temp gauge danced between midpoint and at some points, even disappeared as the engine got too cold. When you coast for a minute, on a downhill, or just decelerating, I’ve seen engine temp drop over 10C easily. The cabin never reached anything comfortable. Waiting in line at the drive thru and cold air starts coming out of the vents. I’ve played with the auto temp with every temperature possible, AC on and off, and it doesn’t make a difference. By far the worst car I’ve had in terms of climate comfort. This car was not designed for climates up here. Period. Road handling in the winter is not an issue, but it gets overshadowed when it’s a drag knowing that you need to dress up like your going dogsledding every time you want to take the car out for a drive.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Can we presume you have taken your CRV to the dealership and they have plugged their diagnostic computer into the OBD-II port and given you an explanation as to the problem? Share their explanation with us?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I did take it in twice. The first time, they told me that the recall (mine was only the s/w fix, no climate unit replacement) would fix it. I got it done and noticed the engine would rev higher than normal when below approx 60C. It only helped to a very minor extent so I returned, not satisfied with the result. They took a look at the car again under warranty and told me everything was functioning okay, and I was expecting this type of answer from them.

So I am left on my own again, with a car that Honda says is working as designed, but yet doesn’t keep me comfortable when the temp drops below -10ish. I saw a commercial from Honda yesterday stating that the car made made for Canadian winters. It was ironic since my family and I were not happy with a brand new car yielding poor comfort results just a few hours before.

What makes me laugh even more is that the service advisor told me to use the factory remote car starter. But even with warmer temps than yesterday, after a >15 minute warmup, the engine temp is nowhere close to warm and no warm air is blowing out of the vents. It doesn’t help that the cabin blower fan goes on max, defeating the purpose of warming up the engine at all. If I was working at Honda, I would have progressively turned up the fan as the engine temp warmed up, to me that would make more sense and a better compromise than blowing max cold air at minute 0 from an engine that has coolant temps below 0C.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The 1.5t is supposed to have exhaust manifold integrated into the head and cooled by a water jacket so it can reduce exhaust temperature by 100F. This water jacket should assist in engine warm up as coolant would circulate through it and go to the heater core. VW and Ford have similar setups to assist in engine warm up. Maybe its not working well in Honda.

sv11

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
How a dealership and Honda could deny a disappearing temp gauge and say it was functioning ok is beyond me. That kind of treatment ain't right.

·
Banned
353 Posts
I got it done and noticed the engine would rev higher than normal when below approx 60C.
Why aren't the owners of these vehicles, and the press, demanding that Honda restate their MPG ratings?

It appears "the fix" involves increasing engine speed, which increases fuel consumption, which decreases fuel efficiency.

Owners should be closely tracking their MPG rating both before and after the fix.
For example, you might have been getting 30 MPG before the fix, which may drop to say 28 MPG after the fix.

Honda really has a mess on their hands, and either way, the vehicle owners are getting the shaft.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Regarding the OP, I'm still not sure if the question(s) is/are about engine performance after the fix, cabin heat or motor operating temp? The heater should heat the cabin really well when the temp gauge needle is just below the middle of the gauge and when the temp gauge needle is just below the middle (as stated in the OP), that's pretty much normal operating temp. Again, are we talking about cabin heat, motor temp or less performance after the fix?

·
Registered
116 Posts
My assumption is that the engine displacement is just too low to generate enough heat at low loads when below 40F, where the heater core by itself can expel heat faster than the little 1.5 can generate it. Luckily I live in the southwest where it's rarely gets below 25F and my commute is a 25 mile highway commute where it has no trouble getting warmed up. Around town it'll blow warm air but the needle doesn't get very far up and starts dropping once the engine is idling, I couldn't imagine it up north. Completely the opposite of my GMC Canyon, also with water jackets around the exhaust but a 3.6 V6, that the needle starts popping up by the time I hit the end of my street no matter the temperature out and is at normal temp within 5 minutes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Today's temperature was 9. And I had to turn my temp down to 68 so I wasn't sweating. I must be lucky that mine heats up ?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Since the temp needle drops at idle, does that mean the engine displacement decreases at idle?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I never had the oil dilution issue or a heat problem on mine but had the FIX done anyway for warranty issues. The two things I have noticed are that my mileage has dropped by around 4 mpg and the heat output seems worse not better. This is something I wish I had never had done! Too early to tell on the oil level.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I never had the oil dilution issue or a heat problem on mine but had the FIX done anyway for warranty issues. The two things I have noticed are that my mileage has dropped by around 4 mpg and the heat output seems worse not better. This is something I wish I had never had done! Too early to tell on the oil level.
I've heard this several times now. It is concerning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same experience (although TBH I never really checked the oil, so I could have had dilution and not known it). Mileage and heating worse than prior to the "fix" being applied. Am I dreaming, or does the fan speed also decreased?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.